Sign in to follow this  
Private Baldrick

Transfers, Is there a system?

Recommended Posts

Forgive me if this has been explained before, but just how or what is the system and rules on teams signing players at this stage of the season in preparation for the play offs? Is there no 'transfer deadline day' as in football? It seems some clubs are signing every man and his dog whilst others are happy with what they have got. Obviously the salary cap will affect a club's ability to sign new players but is there anything else that can hinder a signing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, West Leeds Riviera said:

Should RL implement a transfer window? Say have one between October and February then another in June to July

What would be the point? Most transfers occur during those periods anyway, but probably 90%+ of moves occur when someone's contract expires and the actual move occurs at the end of the year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

What would be the point? Most transfers occur during those periods anyway, but probably 90%+ of moves occur when someone's contract expires and the actual move occurs at the end of the year.

Yeah I'd agree with you there, but why do we have a deadline at the end of this month? And when does this window open?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, West Leeds Riviera said:

Yeah I'd agree with you there, but why do we have a deadline at the end of this month? And when does this window open?

It was brought in initially to stop Andrew Johns / Adrian Morley type signings at the end of the year. I think it was brought earlier forward due to the 8s

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would like to see an earlier deadline, say the end of June, again to offer a more even playing field for teams in the 8's. Maybe it would offer a bit more financial stability too with clubs not overspending in a desperate attempt to either gain promotion or stave off relegation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Private Baldrick said:

I would like to see an earlier deadline, say the end of June, again to offer a more even playing field for teams in the 8's. Maybe it would offer a bit more financial stability too with clubs not overspending in a desperate attempt to either gain promotion or stave off relegation.

Wouldn’t that make over spending worse as clubs would have to have bigger squads. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not necessarily, every team assembles a squad for the start of a new season and if needs be add to it over a season. I see what you mean about having large squads though, if only there was a system for playing players not selected for first team duties in competitive matches...………………….we could call them 2nd teams or something...……………………..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Private Baldrick said:

Not necessarily, every team assembles a squad for the start of a new season and if needs be add to it over a season. I see what you mean about having large squads though, if only there was a system for playing players not selected for first team duties in competitive matches...………………….we could call them 2nd teams or something...……………………..

So bigger squads. I know reserve teams are all the rage on here but it’s not all about clubs trying to save a few quid. There is a danger that if all pro clubs ran reserves it could damage the amatuer game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/14/2018 at 5:01 PM, bobbruce said:

So bigger squads. I know reserve teams are all the rage on here but it’s not all about clubs trying to save a few quid. There is a danger that if all pro clubs ran reserves it could damage the amatuer game. 

Is that true? 

 

i do wonder cos one of the other stories that you hear about youth players that get released after 19s if they don't make the grade, a lot of them dont go to championship clubs or even back to their community clubs, they just walk away and are lost from the game entirely.

 

I've heard that peddled a lot in recent years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Barry Badrinath said:

Is that true? 

 

i do wonder cos one of the other stories that you hear about youth players that get released after 19s if they don't make the grade, a lot of them dont go to championship clubs or even back to their community clubs, they just walk away and are lost from the game entirely.

 

I've heard that peddled a lot in recent years.

It all depends on what the individual wants to support their argument with, (damn lies and statistics etc.). I seem to recall a time when the vast majority of teams had reserves and academies and the amateur game wasn't in a bad state. Must be my rose tinted glasses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


League Express - Online Now

League Express - Every Monday



Rugby League World - Online 28 Jun - July 2018

Rugby League World - July 2018 - Out Fri 29 Jun

Rugby League Books On Sale Here