Sign in to follow this  
DoubleD

A new broadcaster on the horizon?

This certainly puts the cat among the pigeons for the duopoly of Sky/BT. It creates spare capacity on each of their channels but also could offer a future for RL, particularly Championship/League 1. Radrizzani already works closely with Leeds Rhinos, as part of his relationship at United. Food for thought anyway......

https://www.ft.com/content/10cc8d0c-85e7-11e8-96dd-fa565ec55929

BT has lost the rights to broadcast Italian Serie A football matches in the UK to ambitious rival Eleven Sports, representing a further blow to its sports strategy.

The loss means there will be less top-level content on BT’s sports channels, a key part of its strategy to gain more subscribers in the battle with rival Sky after it trimmed its Premier League offering. In the past year new digital players, including Amazon, have entered the market for sports rights.

Eleven Sports, owned by Italian businessman Andrea Radrizzani, who also controls Leeds United football club, acquired the rights to broadcast Spanish La Liga matches in the UK from Sky in May. Eleven has launched a digital subscription service in some European countries but it is unclear how it intends to show the matches in the UK.

• Like 1

I don’t know a lot about them but they’ve prized Spanish Football from Sky and now Italian Football from BT, two pretty big markets there. 

As I said, I know little about them, so I won’t discuss whether they’d want to show Super League games on their platform but I do wonder it this gives Rugby League a higher importance to Sky our whether BT would be interested in taking the game on giving the void they now have. 

Edited by Oliver Clothesoff

One would hope that Sky don't automatically get their contract renewed as of last time and a proper, thorough tender process is followed.

BT, Amazon, Channel 4, Channel 5 etc must be invited to tender.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, johnnym1 said:

One would hope that Sky don't automatically get their contract renewed as of last time and a proper, thorough tender process is followed.

If Sky approach RL now with a £300m renewal offer for 5 years as long we take it now, starting now - what would you do?

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

If Sky approach RL now with a £300m renewal offer for 5 years as long we take it now, starting now - what would you do?

I’d put it before the clubs and let them decide. Which is pretty much what happened last time but we still got clubs moaning about it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, roughyedspud said:

£300m is too good to turn down...sign that ###### without even reading it lol

by year 8 it wouldnt be massively different from the headline figure now. (it would in reality be an 8 year contract, 3 years to go plus 5 years).

Its also a very long contract which could see us miss out on another jump in rights value. It could also leave us behind the 8 ball as the media landscape changes and we dont negotiate for nigh on a decade.

As much as money is important, as it always is, its important that the next contract, more than any, futureproofs the game against the coming changes

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Over the last few weeks ive been watching on my partners FB account World surfing Championships .

Also on FB fell racing . 

Does UK RL wait for broadcasters to come to them with offers or do they approach potential suitors with what RL is and can offer?

I find Sky's stance of buying the rights to two RL comps and showing few of the games baffling and stifling. Any future deals surely must include a proviso that a certain number of games, including the championship are shown. 

As for jumping at a Sky offer. In the short term it sounds good but if better offers could be found, then surely due diligence is in order before signing on any dotted line.

• Like 1

well as a seasoned veteran noobie i would think the Elstone is going to handle this properly and I believe he even mentioned on the last whippets and flat caps podcast that they will be looking at all the possible broadcasters to get the best deal possible. If he wasn't here i would be worried and asking the basic questions as well but with his experience from the PL and their TV deals i have faith and sleep easily at night.

1 hour ago, RayCee said:

Does UK RL wait for broadcasters to come to them with offers or do they approach potential suitors with what RL is and can offer?

I find Sky's stance of buying the rights to two RL comps and showing few of the games baffling and stifling. Any future deals surely must include a proviso that a certain number of games, including the championship are shown. 

As for jumping at a Sky offer. In the short term it sounds good but if better offers could be found, then surely due diligence is in order before signing on any dotted line.

Sky excepted it would almost certainly be the latter.  Why would broadcasters come to what they would see as a small-time regional sport, given its small footprint and the fact that managers of pro RL clubs in the top tier of the game worry about things like "away fans"?

Edited by Big Picture

1 hour ago, RayCee said:

Sky do buy a set number of games now. 

14 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Sky do buy a set number of games now. 

Not sure that's strictly true - I'm of the understanding that they buy 'the rights' and guarantee to show a certain number of games.

My take on it is they buy exclusive rights so can show any game. They are also paying for a set number of games so can pick any game upto a certain number. 

Edited by bobbruce
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

by year 8 it wouldnt be massively different from the headline figure now. (it would in reality be an 8 year contract, 3 years to go plus 5 years).

Its also a very long contract which could see us miss out on another jump in rights value. It could also leave us behind the 8 ball as the media landscape changes and we dont negotiate for nigh on a decade.

As much as money is important, as it always is, its important that the next contract, more than any, futureproofs the game against the coming changes

As is always the case, the Devil is in the detail. I would quite happily sign away broadcast rights as long as digital broadcast sat outside the agreement.

6 hours ago, johnnym1 said:

This is one of the things that Elstone was appointed for isn't it?

Don't worry, everything will be fine.

1 hour ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Not sure that's strictly true - I'm of the understanding that they buy 'the rights' and guarantee to show a certain number of games.

I think that it is both - they have the exclusive rights and a minimum and maximum number of games are specified. They shouldn't want to but allowing them to broadcast every single game wouldn't be sensible, or would it?

29 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

I think that it is both - they have the exclusive rights and a minimum and maximum number of games are specified. They shouldn't want to but allowing them to broadcast every single game wouldn't be sensible, or would it?

It'd be fine if they paid more to do so. 

7 hours ago, DoubleD said:

This certainly puts the cat among the pigeons for the duopoly of Sky/BT. It creates spare capacity on each of their channels but also could offer a future for RL, particularly Championship/League 1. Radrizzani already works closely with Leeds Rhinos, as part of his relationship at United. Food for thought anyway......

https://www.ft.com/content/10cc8d0c-85e7-11e8-96dd-fa565ec55929

BT has lost the rights to broadcast Italian Serie A football matches in the UK to ambitious rival Eleven Sports, representing a further blow to its sports strategy.

The loss means there will be less top-level content on BT’s sports channels, a key part of its strategy to gain more subscribers in the battle with rival Sky after it trimmed its Premier League offering. In the past year new digital players, including Amazon, have entered the market for sports rights.

Eleven Sports, owned by Italian businessman Andrea Radrizzani, who also controls Leeds United football club, acquired the rights to broadcast Spanish La Liga matches in the UK from Sky in May. Eleven has launched a digital subscription service in some European countries but it is unclear how it intends to show the matches in the UK.

I noticed they already show TWP games already as i have been following A7FL.

1 hour ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

I noticed they already show TWP games already as i have been following A7FL.

yeah they show the across the US i believe.

10 hours ago, bobbruce said:

I’d put it before the clubs and let them decide. Which is pretty much what happened last time but we still got clubs moaning about it.

It got through on a £300k bribe.

Whatever happens just get all your matches on TV. The current situation where it’s nearly impossible to follow a team if you don’t live near the stadium doesn’t help bring in new fans at all. 

14 hours ago, bobbruce said:

Except that is not what happened.

If you take the Marwan K version ( which has now been accepted by most SL clubs as an accurate version) they where invited to a meeting - presented with the SKY deal and told they had 4 hours to say yes or no.  They left and were telephoned a few hours later for an answer. 

He said no, as no other options had been asked for. Some clubs needing the offer of an immediate cash injection said yes, others voted yes and within days admitted they where wrong to do so and BT Sport confirmed that they had been interested but had not been asked to make a bid.

Maybe this time give them more than 4 hours to take or leave a deal!

Edited by kiyan
  • Thanks 1