Sign in to follow this  
Blind side johnny

What will it take?

Another close defeat leaves us no further forward in the pursuit of those precious points that would keep us in this division. Looking at the tables in past seasons and doing a bit of voodoo with the numbers leads me to conclude that 17 points should represent safety (16 could be a possibility). It might even be lower but we have to be realistic. On present form and with the points accumulated to date the only realistic candidates for the drop will be Dewsbury, Swinton and Rochdale, although Barrow could come with a late run

Of the remaining fixtures we face Batley at home, which no doubt features the possibility of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory (or a glorious renaissance). Batley will be weary from their long trip and exertions but we had to travel to Sheffield, so that's about even. They are on a poor run but are scoring points; we are on an unusccessful run and not scoring anything like enough points. It will be close but a loss wouldn't be a shock. Then we have the jaunt to the South of France where we are likely to return with "nil points" but will have a week of rest to recover.

Looking at the fixture matrix (which can take a merry hour or so to find) we will have three home games and four away. The three home fixtures are highly likely to be Swinton, Rochdale and Batley, and the four aways will feature the rest. This will be Sheffield, Barrow and two of those battling for the final places in the top four. (On current standings that would be Halifax and Leigh but next weeks game between Fev and London will probably put that into a different light.) We don't yet know the timing of the individual fixtures, which could play a major part in their outcome so present form is the only realistic guide to use at the moment.

So, if my musings prove moderately accurate we will need six points from those seven games, two of which feature the fellow strugglers at home. How will we do?

• Like 4

Very interesting topic BSJ. Crucial games before regular season end will be Sheffield V Barrow, Dewsbury v Batley, Batley v Swinton. Could go either way. I do feel that we will be a minimum of 3 points clear of Rochdale and Swinton at regular season end as I cannot see them picking up any points in last 2 games. If, and it's a big if, we beat Batley next week and then Batley happen to slip up against Swinton in the last game it could be very tight at the bottom. Final positions will determine our play off home and away games. If we can win 2 home games in the play offs it would mean Swinton and Rochdale having to win 4 and I can't see that happening. My opinion, we need to gain 5 points from our remaining 9 games, giving us 16 in total. If we get 6 or 7 I think safety is guaranteed. If any team springs a shock result then it could be squeaky b*m time

2 hours ago, YOUNG UN said:

Very interesting topic BSJ. Crucial games before regular season end will be Sheffield V Barrow, Dewsbury v Batley, Batley v Swinton. Could go either way. I do feel that we will be a minimum of 3 points clear of Rochdale and Swinton at regular season end as I cannot see them picking up any points in last 2 games. If, and it's a big if, we beat Batley next week and then Batley happen to slip up against Swinton in the last game it could be very tight at the bottom. Final positions will determine our play off home and away games. If we can win 2 home games in the play offs it would mean Swinton and Rochdale having to win 4 and I can't see that happening. My opinion, we need to gain 5 points from our remaining 9 games, giving us 16 in total. If we get 6 or 7 I think safety is guaranteed. If any team springs a shock result then it could be squeaky b*m time

Also Young un. You have to factor in that two big hitters will be in the bottom eight..from Halifax Fev London or Leigh. These two clubs will be so far ahead with league points that it would become easier for clubs like Dewsbury to pick up extra points from them. Good luck. I'm sure you will survive the drop.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Another close defeat leaves us no further forward in the pursuit of those precious points that would keep us in this division. Looking at the tables in past seasons and doing a bit of voodoo with the numbers leads me to conclude that 17 points should represent safety (16 could be a possibility). It might even be lower but we have to be realistic. On present form and with the points accumulated to date the only realistic candidates for the drop will be Dewsbury, Swinton and Rochdale, although Barrow could come with a late run

Of the remaining fixtures we face Batley at home, which no doubt features the possibility of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory (or a glorious renaissance). Batley will be weary from their long trip and exertions but we had to travel to Sheffield, so that's about even. They are on a poor run but are scoring points; we are on an unusccessful run and not scoring anything like enough points. It will be close but a loss wouldn't be a shock. Then we have the jaunt to the South of France where we are likely to return with "nil points" but will have a week of rest to recover.

Looking at the fixture matrix (which can take a merry hour or so to find) we will have three home games and four away. The three home fixtures are highly likely to be Swinton, Rochdale and Batley, and the four aways will feature the rest. This will be Sheffield, Barrow and two of those battling for the final places in the top four. (On current standings that would be Halifax and Leigh but next weeks game between Fev and London will probably put that into a different light.) We don't yet know the timing of the individual fixtures, which could play a major part in their outcome so present form is the only realistic guide to use at the moment.

So, if my musings prove moderately accurate we will need six points from those seven games, two of which feature the fellow strugglers at home. How will we do?

In these really tight games a steadier goal kicker would be a start. Two potentially vital points gone begging in last three games   

Edited by NickD

3 hours ago, NickD said:

In these really tight games a steadier goal kicker would be a start. Two potentially vital points gone begging in last three games   

Who would you suggest that would deliver better than 4/5 Nick?

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

Who would you suggest that would deliver better than 4/5 Nick?

As you know already BSJ I have no positive suggestions.  That’s no surprise to readers here of course. Rather I was just making an observation that when things are tight a reliable kicker is worth his weight in gold and if we had one we might well be sitting for more comfortably now. 

Another close defeat against relegation rivals,it was sods law that Sykes would miss that goal after kicking 4/4 but I won't bag him for it because I think his all round game yesterday was very good and it was down to him that we were still in a position to at least get a point. We need to be winning these close games to avoid relegation. We've got 9 game's left now,4 at home and 5 away if we can't get at least 3 wins from them then I'm sorry but we really are not good enough for this league. I wonder if Mr Moore will be showing his face again anytime soon,we could really do with on form confident Gareth Moore right now.

2 hours ago, ramsfandan said:

sykes has kicked well this season the wind was worse than you think when he was taking that kick get off his back man

Not on his back. Standout player for me this season and will almost certainly get my player of the season.  I have posted positively about him way back into last season. I was making an observation that missed kicks have cost us two points.   That is the simple truth and stands as it is. If we had a steadier kicker we would be in a better position.  Do I want Sykes in team? You betcha. Do I have a better suggestion for the kicker? No. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, NickD said:

Not on his back. Standout player for me this season and will almost certainly get my player of the season.  I have posted positively about him way back into last season. I was making an observation that missed kicks have cost us two points.   That is the simple truth and stands as it is. If we had a steadier kicker we would be in a better position.  Do I want Sykes in team? You betcha. Do I have a better suggestion for the kicker? No. 

thats what im saying hes a good kicker morton my player of year btw closely followed by speakman

3 hours ago, graham fisher said:

Another close defeat against relegation rivals,it was sods law that Sykes would miss that goal after kicking 4/4 but I won't bag him for it because I think his all round game yesterday was very good and it was down to him that we were still in a position to at least get a point. We need to be winning these close games to avoid relegation. We've got 9 game's left now,4 at home and 5 away if we can't get at least 3 wins from them then I'm sorry but we really are not good enough for this league. I wonder if Mr Moore will be showing his face again anytime soon,we could really do with on form confident Gareth Moore right now.

Still suffering from his mystery foot injury according to NK in today's League Express. It should clear up by October I reckon.

• Haha 2

What has been proven in these last few weeks is that the bottom 8’s as I call it will be (save for the two errant teams that miss out on the middle 8 show) highly competitive and it will be down to the little things like a goal kick or drop goal in the 81st minute - do we have the temperament in the tight moments? Our spirit is on the rise again given the come backs against Swinton, Barrow and t’Eagles, it is just those small margins that cost (Barrow showing we can do it) - so onwards in our support. Fine try by Ryder that shows he could be a fine acquisition but I never thought I would wish for Owlerton again!

• Like 2

If other players had made the tackles they should have done (and as hard as Sykes does) then we simply wouldn't be talking about missed kicks............. We conceded from the play-the-ball and parted like the red sea twice to gift 18 points to t'Eagles and THAT is where our problem lies...... NOT in a last-minute conversion miss (whoever the kicker is)

Imagine what we'd be saying if Glover  / Morton had taken the kick and missed.................

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Reverend Ram said:

What has been proven in these last few weeks is that the bottom 8’s as I call it will be (save for the two errant teams that miss out on the middle 8 show) highly competitive and it will be down to the little things like a goal kick or drop goal in the 81st minute - do we have the temperament in the tight moments? Our spirit is on the rise again given the come backs against Swinton, Barrow and t’Eagles, it is just those small margins that cost (Barrow showing we can do it) - so onwards in our support. Fine try by Ryder that shows he could be a fine acquisition but I never thought I would wish for Owlerton again!

Never wish for Owlerton! There may be a massive gap between the grandeur of the name of 'The Olympic Legacy Stadium' and the quality of facilities, but at least you can see the pitch for your £17.

I agree that Ryder's was a fine try - a reward for strong, agressive running. Which brings me to my main point - I also agree that the middle 8's will be competitive with results likely to be as close as our last 3 games. I don't see much difference in the quality of the bottom 5 or 6 sides - and little can be done now to enhance skills - so results will come down to the way the Ram's play the game, particularly the aggression with which the team attacks and defends - I agree here with therein73 that we didn't see enough of that aggression especially in defence on Sunday, which is why we lost. Swinton showed the way in their home win over us. 

2 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Still suffering from his mystery foot injury according to NK in today's League Express. It should clear up by October I reckon.

His injury is on of the most dangerous & arkward in the foot

It's called metabolloxs.. And can keep a player without a backbone out for weeks

And it has ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

He'll be back to his best next season don't worry 😉

• Like 1

11 hours ago, XIII Ram said:

Never wish for Owlerton! There may be a massive gap between the grandeur of the name of 'The Olympic Legacy Stadium' and the quality of facilities, but at least you can see the pitch for your £17.

I agree that Ryder's was a fine try - a reward for strong, agressive running. Which brings me to my main point - I also agree that the middle 8's will be competitive with results likely to be as close as our last 3 games. I don't see much difference in the quality of the bottom 5 or 6 sides - and little can be done now to enhance skills - so results will come down to the way the Ram's play the game, particularly the aggression with which the team attacks and defends - I agree here with therein73 that we didn't see enough of that aggression especially in defence on Sunday, which is why we lost. Swinton showed the way in their home win over us. 

Two man made things can be seen from space - the Great Wall of China, and the holes in the Rams defence.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Piggy's mate said:

Not with Dewsbury though I would suggest. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Reverend Ram said:

Fine try by Ryder.....

It was a good try by Ryder from the scrum, but I also noticed that Glover was running harder again and defending too.

12 minutes ago, graham fisher said:

Still on contract to us next year, transfer fee?

To be fair I think he is exactly the difference between last season and this ...Towards the end of last season he was on fire and we were able to get plenty of points racked up.  I remember one try at Swinton where if I'm not mistaken he chipped the ball over both the first line of defence and then the full back for an outstanding score,,,,BUT I seem to remember a few people saying that where we are now is how it would turn out....

1 hour ago, NickD said:

To be fair I think he is exactly the difference between last season and this ...Towards the end of last season he was on fire and we were able to get plenty of points racked up.  I remember one try at Swinton where if I'm not mistaken he chipped the ball over both the first line of defence and then the full back for an outstanding score,,,,BUT I seem to remember a few people saying that where we are now is how it would turn out....

Yes such a shame ..... still we should not be surprised...... he has been like this at just about every club he has been at !!  He was fantastic last season and the difference between staying up and relegation ... so much talent to offer this league but what is the flaw  in his make up that induces him to press the self destruct button ..... solve that and you have an excellent player!!  

I also agree Ryders try was really good... just like watching ' Cowboy Jack" back in the day ... swotting off would be tacklers at will. .. and I also agree Glover looked interested for the first time in many games ...... I wonder if his proposed move is in jeopardy! ... 

Also just how frustrating was that second try .... it was amazing ... the break ... the offloads ... the backing up!!  Why don't we play like that more often???  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Piggy's mate said:

If I was diskin I wouldn't have him anywhere near the team, liability, no fight, Teddy and dummy out the cot if it doesn't go his way. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, coolie said:

If I was diskin I wouldn't have him anywhere near the team, liability, no fight, Teddy and dummy out the cot if it doesn't go his way. 

We won’t 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, coolie said:

liability, no fight, Teddy and dummy out the cot if it doesn't go his way. 

And yet he still probably is collecting his contractual wages!!  ... with an injured toe!!!!   Many players play with injuries .. Is he really injured?? .... or Is he sulking (for whatever reason ) ... is he collecting his contractual wages?? .... If he is... its .... well I can't say what I really think on here as I would have to censor myself!!  I hope he is truly injured and might recover in time to give us the impetus and quality that we will need from all our contracted players to survive relegation! ...... just my thoughts and opinion!

Edited by the old nine ole