Sign in to follow this  
chisholm

Time for a rethink ?

Recommended Posts

On a personal note I did not think summer rugby would ever work, 

I think I am being proved right. I am not asking for a return to winter because that will never happen.  Should the NCL consider regionilse the lower divisions ? I personally think something needs doing soon . At present a lot of clubs are struggling both financially and commitment wise.  A good honest assessment without any RFL spin is needed  now !

 

,

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chisholm said:

On a personal note I did not think summer rugby would ever work, 

I think I am being proved right. I am not asking for a return to winter because that will never happen.  Should the NCL consider regionilse the lower divisions ? I personally think something needs doing soon . At present a lot of clubs are struggling both financially and commitment wise.  A good honest assessment without any RFL spin is needed  now !

RU is having the same issues, teams no longer want to travel as far anymore.  They still play in winter I believe?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

RU is having the same issues, teams no longer want to travel as far anymore.  They still play in winter I believe?

The NCL teams are travelling but many are not filling a team sheet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I video both league and union. I have seen a major drop in the League support with the exception of the likes of Siddal and Brow. Union at the same level has never had big crowds but are still much higher than most NCL games I have covered

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about a Fall and Spring league with the middle of summer and the middle of winter off.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not entirely sure why we need 4 national NCL divisions? Was brought in to provide elite amateur competition. Having 50 plus teams has drastically weakened the regional leagues.

Agree that the drop off of players is not unique to RL.

Soccer has seen a huge number of clubs and leagues fold in recent years as well. 

There is simply a greater range of pastimes and entertainment these days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it depends where in the country you are

The RU team (well down the RU pyramid) i occasionally play with has just taken it's 4th team out of a local merit league and into the leagues proper due to the number of youngsters coming through from Colts - that will give that team 14 games instead of 10 - that means on a given saturday there will be over 70 male adult players playing, they also restarted a ladies team a couple of seasons ago and they will be playing with the colts  (2 teams) on Sundays - so that is 150 players over 16 playing every weekend (plus several hundred mini & juniors) - the membership fees and bar take of those players (and partners) goes a long way to keep a club solvent (even if the 1st XV don't pay membership).  A bunch of those players also play RL in the summer months to increase handling skills/fitness, i doubt stopping their summer league would make them play in winter it would instead damage the local RL team

But we are lucky, below 1st XV level I doubt you ever have to travel more than 25 miles as there is a such a density of clubs around us

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, dixiedean said:

Not entirely sure why we need 4 national NCL divisions? Was brought in to provide elite amateur competition. Having 50 plus teams has drastically weakened the regional leagues.

Agree that the drop off of players is not unique to RL.

Soccer has seen a huge number of clubs and leagues fold in recent years as well. 

There is simply a greater range of pastimes and entertainment these days.

Agree - I think it should be a 2 division league. Would make the regional leagues stronger again which would stop clubs that maybe aren't quite equipped for 'national' travel not feel forced to join NCL to get competitive games. 

Also add in that if you win your regional premier comp then you're entitled to join NCL but have the option to remain in regional league, at which point slot could be offered to next place team or even the bottom of NCL don't get relegated back to regional. It's worth a shot because there's definitely too many NCL teams at the minute and the ones that are getting hammered every week are most likely to be the ones with low numbers for long away games. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

AIt's worth a shot because there's definitely too many NCL teams at the minute and the ones that are getting hammered every week are most likely to be the ones with low numbers for long away games. 

I agree that there are too many teams, maybe drop Div 3.

Maybe they should have voted in dual reg and there would be more players available to the teams  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, dixiedean said:

Not entirely sure why we need 4 national NCL divisions? Was brought in to provide elite amateur competition. Having 50 plus teams has drastically weakened the regional leagues.

Agree that the drop off of players is not unique to RL.

Soccer has seen a huge number of clubs and leagues fold in recent years as well. 

There is simply a greater range of pastimes and entertainment these days.

It's obvious why the NCL went from a couple of division to four divisions rather sharply - the drop off in teams in most sports seems to coincide with the drop off in the number of public houses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Impartial Observer said:

I agree that there are too many teams, maybe drop Div 3.

Maybe they should have voted in dual reg and there would be more players available to the teams  

DR is killing the championship teams and lets see what happens once the super league clubs start to run an `A` team league

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, ojx said:

How about a Fall and Spring league with the middle of summer and the middle of winter off.

September to May with a break for the Christmas period, sounds good, LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Marauder said:

DR is killing the championship teams and lets see what happens once the super league clubs start to run an `A` team league

How is DR killing off the Championship teams? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Marauder said:

It's obvious why the NCL went from a couple of division to four divisions rather sharply - 

Is it? Can you explain?

Also when did it go to 3 or 4 divisions? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Impartial Observer said:

Is it? Can you explain?

Also when did it go to 3 or 4 divisions? 

 

It went from 3 to 4 divisions once it went to summer (2012 or 13)  the idea was to simply add the Conference league South, I think only St Albans and Gateshead made the switch so they had to dangle the carrot to half decent well run winter regional teams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Impartial Observer said:

How is DR killing off the Championship teams? 

Because DR is giving the championship and championship 1 a false reading and Wait till next season once the Super League introduce an `A` team league

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Marauder said:

It went from 3 to 4 divisions once it went to summer (2012 or 13)  the idea was to simply add the Conference league South, I think only St Albans and Gateshead made the switch so they had to dangle the carrot to half decent well run winter regional teams.

I didnt think CLS started until 2013.

Gateshead joined the NCL in 2016, St Albans have never been in NCL, have they?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Marauder said:

September to May with a break for the Christmas period, sounds good, LOL

Don’t be silly, rugby shouldn’t be played Dec-Feb.

Season March-July with a 6 week break, some teams can play 9’s festivals etc, then Sept-Nov. The season needs to incorporate the best months to play dry weather footy

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could it ever go back to winter? Who knows? Maybe, bit there would be alot of egg on face and humble pie to be eaten.

The game is struggling, really struggling, nobody has an idea how to improve the grassroots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, johnmatrix said:

Could it ever go back to winter? Who knows? Maybe, bit there would be alot of egg on face and humble pie to be eaten.

The game is struggling, really struggling, nobody has an idea how to improve the grassroots.

The RFL thought they did when they switched the games playing season

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Defender1 said:

The RFL thought they did when they switched the games playing season

They only switched it for PERSONAL financial gain and I'm sure this is the only reason it hasn't totally moved back, I'm also sure certain people (Some on here who seem to have gone quiet or just simply opened another account in a different name) moved the NCL to summer for pats on the back, write their names in amateur folk law and probably looking for a knighthood.

How many balls a season do clubs get these days, how much do NCL clubs get towards transport now, not going to go on about full clubhouses and players falling other themselves to get a game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, johnmatrix said:

Could it ever go back to winter? Who knows? Maybe, bit there would be alot of egg on face and humble pie to be eaten.

The game is struggling, really struggling, nobody has an idea how to improve the grassroots.

I honestly believe they had it right when the ran the RLC in a short season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Don’t be silly, rugby shouldn’t be played Dec-Feb.

Season March-July with a 6 week break, some teams can play 9’s festivals etc, then Sept-Nov. The season needs to incorporate the best months to play dry weather footy

But the best so called months are the same best so called months were teams can not fill a team sheet, we are supposed to be rugby players not Judith Chalmers, on average I bet we only loose around 2 weekends maybe 3 in the period between Dec - Feb because of the weather, now balance that against the games not played over the last 8 weeks because the common known reasons not including the world cup, its a no brainer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


League Express - Online Now

League Express - Every Monday



Rugby League World - Aug 2018

Rugby League World - Aug 2018

Rugby League Books On Sale Here