RobertAM

Rochdale July 21st

1 hour ago, manu266 said:

We need a North American team back in League One, whose only ambition would be to develop NA players, not necessarily fast track promotion. They would obviously not play all home games in NA, but at least some of them in summer, the rest in England and/or France.

The problem would be work permits. They would need to be resident in NA, and therefore play all home games there, and only come across for away matches.

The only way to do that would be a serious raid on the Canada/USA Union squads after the WC. Otherwise, the standard of player is way too low right now.

And even a combined NA Union side would struggle in League 1 at the moment imho.

That would require a serious long-term financial commitment over a fair period.

3 minutes ago, dixiedean said:

The problem would be work permits. They would need to be resident in NA, and therefore play all home games there, and only come across for away matches.

The only way to do that would be a serious raid on the Canada/USA Union squads after the WC. Otherwise, the standard of player is way too low right now.

And even a combined NA Union side would struggle in League 1 at the moment imho.

That would require a serious long-term financial commitment over a fair period.

I know, I'm not saying it's gonna be easy but it's what we need if we want at least a Canadian player in the TWP roster in the next 3 years. If TWP is in SL next year, no player is gonna come from our domestic leagues and play for them.

Nevermind if they don't win a game, we need that team to play in League One and to learn. They will sign some UK or OZ veterans to help them.

Work permit would be ok, but we need the RFL to allow a team mostly based in the UK to have a majority of non UK players.

We need a lot of money for sure. Maybe when there is a second pro team in New York or elsewhere?

21 minutes ago, manu266 said:

Larger than that. A USA/Canada/Jamaica development team.

terrific. Love it.

I thought we'd be doing much more with Bradford Bulls given that Nobby really seemed keen on that dual reg deal..why aren't our supplemental guys at the Bulls playing regularly..??

6 minutes ago, manu266 said:

I know, I'm not saying it's gonna be easy but it's what we need if we want at least a Canadian player in the TWP roster in the next 3 years. If TWP is in SL next year, no player is gonna come from our domestic leagues and play for them.

Nevermind if they don't win a game, we need that team to play in League One and to learn. They will sign some UK or OZ veterans to help them.

Work permit would be ok, but we need the RFL to allow a team mostly based in the UK to have a majority of non UK players.

We need a lot of money for sure. Maybe when there is a second pro team in New York or elsewhere?

Fair enough. Don't want to come across as one who sees only problems rather than opportunities re TWP...

But it will cost, and won't produce returns instantly, or indeed, very quickly.

They may be able to win a game or two.

2 minutes ago, RobertAM said:

I thought we'd be doing much more with Bradford Bulls given that Nobby really seemed keen on that dual reg deal..why aren't our supplemental guys at the Bulls playing regularly..??

Because the Bulls want (and need) to get promoted this year. Fans are asking the same about Bradford's Academy players.

4 minutes ago, RobertAM said:

I might be wrong on this but I think another problem with the Bulls is the non-UK-EU quota. Any Canadian players would count in their limited quota (2 players?), so they rather have 2 big Oceanian blokes than NA beginners.