Hudgell hints at collective SL ownership of London

The most interesting point made from Neil Hudgells recent interview is that he puts forward the idea of a collective super league ownership of London Broncos. How much this has been discussed by SL club owners I'm not sure but I think it's a super idea that deserves serious consideration. 

It's clear that London as they are currently are not going to make the impact needed locally that the competition needs and a totally different approach is needed. A London club with money behind it from not just David Hughes but other owners is the right way forward because in London people have so much choice in terms of entertainment that the only way to get people's attention is by having big investment and by playing on the biggest stage possible. 

Although Trailfinders has potential it's not sl level right now and the club needs to be in a bigger more central stadium to reach the audience the sport deserves down south. Collective ownership could be a big step towards making this happen.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, West Leeds Riviera said:

They've played at 9 different grounds, you can't have a sustainable club that moves around as much as the Broncos have. The longest they've stayed anywhere is 7 years at the Stoop (2007-13). 

8 years.

2006 season they played there too.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

What interview is this from? I’ve seen nothing in the media at all regarding this. 

If the first word in the team’s name isn’t a big enough draw for any potential investor in Rugby League, I don’t know if we’ll ever have a successful Rugby League team in London. 

I’m as pro-London Rugby League as you’ll find but the nomadic nature (haven’t they played at 20+ grounds in and around London over the years as ‘home’ games?) that London have had, alongside the name, badge and kit colour changes they’ve also had, the club has never been around anywhere or in one guise long enough to put down any roots in one place. At least with London Skolars they’ve remained at one ground since long before joining the ‘professional’ leagues and they’ve had the same name for just as long.

Good idea Mr Hudgell.

I wonder if a newly owned London team could play at the Olympic Stadium? Obviously they would need to be attracting more fans for that to work. But Brentford was OK and Charlton is an excellent ground, though not handy to train or tube. Why not go back to one of those grounds?

There has to be three elements involved for London to work: wealthy ownership (Super League or News Corp.); a decent 10,000+ seater stadium; and good publicity in the major newspapers.

I would propose that if News Corp took over London Broncos, the way they once owned Brisbane Broncos, North Queensland Cowboys and Melbourne Storm in the NRL, and London Broncos was promoted to Super League, then News Corp would be motivated to publicise rugby league more in their newspapers. In particular having a page of The Times and Sunday Times sports sectionsdevoted to rugby league, with a guaranteed third of the page space devoted to an on field successful London Broncos, would boost London attendances massively. I would also propose that News Corp takes over London Skolars and funds them sufficiently so that they can be promoted into the Championship. Over time having two London teams doing well, with the possibility in future days of both being in Super League, would massively boost interest in rugby league in London.

I really think that our sport needs London and that perhaps we all need a stake in it. Especially getting it stablised and being a focal point for Rugby League fans in the capital. 

I'm an aussie and I believe in putting my money behind London, that is why I am a global member.

Surely London can benefit from more coordination when it comes to getting away fans down there.

Remember Melbourne Storm were owned by News Ltd up until recent years.

DIEHARD / TITAN / MAROON / KANGAROO

53 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

Good idea Mr Hudgell.

I wonder if a newly owned London team could play at the Olympic Stadium? Obviously they would need to be attracting more fans for that to work. But Brentford was OK and Charlton is an excellent ground, though not handy to train or tube. Why not go back to one of those grounds?

There has to be three elements involved for London to work: wealthy ownership (Super League or News Corp.); a decent 10,000+ seater stadium; and good publicity in the major newspapers.

I would propose that if News Corp took over London Broncos, the way they once owned Brisbane Broncos, North Queensland Cowboys and Melbourne Storm in the NRL, and London Broncos was promoted to Super League, then News Corp would be motivated to publicise rugby league more in their newspapers. In particular having a page of The Times and Sunday Times sports sectionsdevoted to rugby league, with a guaranteed third of the page space devoted to an on field successful London Broncos, would boost London attendances massively. I would also propose that News Corp takes over London Skolars and funds them sufficiently so that they can be promoted into the Championship. Over time having two London teams doing well, with the possibility in future days of both being in Super League, would massively boost interest in rugby league in London.

The Olympic stadium would be a terrible venue to watch club rugby league. It’s barely passable for an international with a big crowd I dread to think what it would be like with even 10,000 in there.

rldfsignature.jpg

7 hours ago, The Daddy said:

The most interesting point made from Neil Hudgells recent interview is that he puts forward the idea of a collective super league ownership of London Broncos. How much this has been discussed by SL club owners I'm not sure but I think it's a super idea that deserves serious consideration. 

It's clear that London as they are currently are not going to make the impact needed locally that the competition needs and a totally different approach is needed. A London club with money behind it from not just David Hughes but other owners is the right way forward because in London people have so much choice in terms of entertainment that the only way to get people's attention is by having big investment and by playing on the biggest stage possible. 

Although Trailfinders has potential it's not sl level right now and the club needs to be in a bigger more central stadium to reach the audience the sport deserves down south. Collective ownership could be a big step towards making this happen.

Link please?

rldfsignature.jpg

6 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

What interview is this from? I’ve seen nothing in the media at all regarding this. 

If the first word in the team’s name isn’t a big enough draw for any potential investor in Rugby League, I don’t know if we’ll ever have a successful Rugby League team in London. 

It's from Neil Hudgell, it was posted on here , and is this:-

“I think expansionism needs to be controlled, before we can fully embrace it. “France, I think everybody would agree that Catalans has been a success, I think a second team in France would also be a success. “Again London, they’ve been around 30 odd years, no-one’s really grabbed hold of it, it keeps moving, it’s sort of nomadic but again I can see a strategic need for London.

“The game needs to take a brave decision whether to take control of London, David Hughes has been there forever and a day, he’s done a fabulous job.“But what’s the vision, and the reason to do it?

And that’s probably why there’s (ALSO)a cautiousness about the Toronto experience".

It's easy to read things the way you want to read them, but the quote directly supports TO for Superleague and in turn supports Catalans.

Read past this idea of London in Superleague with Hudgell asking for a reason to take control of London before he then asks for a reason why TWP should be allowed in. In short he gives reasons why TO should be admitted, before asking for reasons why London or TWP should?

Of course there is no reason to admit TWP no development of players despite clear promises at the start from Perez on TV to Dave Woods, and a logistical nightmare which Hudgell refers to. He skipped over London quickly to condemn TWP who he does not believe should have been in in the first place, and makes a veiled accusation Wood stuck them in without any thought (the idea being as he was heading for the RLIF he wasn't going to reject Canada and spoil his CV)

Wishful thinkers as the OP is renowned for, can believe there is a plan to fund London, like they still believe a Transatlantic league is on the way, but remember the quote after their last collapse "Not even Branson could make it work". So the correct reading is Hudgell likes the idea of London but what is the reason to throw tens of £Millions we do not have at them every year??

There just isn't one. it would be a major waste of money. More fantasy RL.

It's Toulouse Hudgell is supporting not London.

1 hour ago, Manfred Mann said:

But Brentford was OK and Charlton is an excellent ground, though not handy to train or tube. Why not go back to one of those grounds?

No specifically wanting to split hairs, but Charlton is a two minute walk from the railway station. 

Admittedly not particularly accessible from the North, but easily to get to from Central London. 

People called Romans they go the house

You could make London work, it's just that there was no one smart enough or paitent enough to do it. Changing colours, names, owners, locations and stadiums won't work. Setting down foundations does, if it worked for Melbourne it could work for London.

Fulham, crusaders, Broncos, harlequins,  Broncos.... I rest my case

8 hours ago, The Daddy said:

Croatia reached the soccer world cup final with about half the population of London. There must be huge potential opportunities there for Rugby League if its done properly 

"Not even Branson could make it work"

What a damaging quote. Just a cop out for quitters.

DIEHARD / TITAN / MAROON / KANGAROO

Money to market and promote is, of course, the key. I’ve watched the growth of support and interest in NFL in London over the last few years and thought if we’d had a fraction of that money and nouse what could we have done for RL here?

RL needs London. Even SL will whither away if the sport does not grow. 

A successful London would be fantastic for the sport,problem is, how do you make it successful?

Just because Branson couldn't make it work doesn't mean no one else can .

Simplest way to make the Broncos work "for me anyway" is to get sky sports involved and let them do what ever they want with the club

Success for a club in London would need a commitment of significant investment over a long period of time, at least 15 years, before any kind of obvious benefits could be built. It would also need to mirror an upturn in exposure and wider popularity of Rugby League across the nation.

A team in London simply cannot succeed like we'd want before the game of Rugby League starts to.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

1 hour ago, The Future is League said:

Croatia reached the soccer world cup final with about half the population of London. There must be huge potential opportunities there for Rugby League if its done properly 

Sorry to say it, however is London really interested? I mean you can't make people like RL... You can show it to them.. However that's all..... For what it's worth union's large southern fan base comes from all the amateur clubs who then turn out to watch at Twickenham. 

For RL the target market are generally football fans....... 

If more schools play RL and more amateur teams grow there may be more fans..... Face it ice hockey, Union, Gridiron they all have struggled in London to find a sustainable audience. 

I'm all for a London SL team however I would say its best left to private ownership to do that - development money would be better spent on getting schools playing, supporting France, Serbia and Ireland. ..... If you want Central owned teams you have to go to Franchises forever. No Relegation.... 

18 minutes ago, DimmestStar said:

Wonder what the 754 who attended London's crucial game with Halifax think?

My family were three of the 754. I think there is a strategic need for London and it needs new investment.

Even though Ealing is the wrong end of London for me (took about two hours to get home after the game), I am doubtful that there is a place in central London that will suit everyone - unless we can get a stadium-sized bit of land cheap by Leicester square. Far more realistic to build up an identity in one part of London (and the bit they are in is as good as any) and work at it.

The crowd yesterday was pretty poor. Clearly there were some other sporting events happening that will have distracted a few regulars' attention.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

There’s some real pie in the sky stuff here. 

Unfortunately, unless someone is willing to spend their time and cash on a similar model to that at Toronto, I can’t see London being much of a success and they definitely wouldn’t be a success if they were funded and run by the current Super League club owners. That’s not a dig at them but some clubs aren’t on the best financial footing as others and should really be getting their own houses in order before looking to fund another club. 

Difficult if not impossible for a centrally funded London side under promotion/relegation system. What can be done is more events in London to get more exposure and hopefully encourage more investment. At least 1 International a year would be a start, then look at your Magic weekends, 9's, double headers etc.

To get the ball rolling somewhat what about the week after the Super League Grand Final every year England play the 'London Invitational'. Negotiate a stadium (30-50k), Invite an international team and make it a yearly event to kick off the international season. Mix it up with anyone from Australia, NZ, France, Wales, Ireland, Scotland, Italy, PNG, Fiji, Samoa, Tonga, Cook Islands, Lebanon, USA, Canada, Jamaica, Philippines, Serbia, Russia... well a few of those may be a bloodbath but you get the picture.  No team played more than once in 10 years to keep it fresh. Announce next year's opponents at half or full time of each game.

London is a chronic case, it has been on life support for years and had more than its fair share of funding pumped into it, why cannot people accept that it is not percieved by the public of that area to be a sport that they wish to invest their time and money in, they have had close now to 40 years to entice people to attend and but for few regulars which I imagine is less than 1000 they have failed miserably.

Perhaps if Dr Koukash had been allowed to spend what he wanted Salford would now be a major force but his intentions were treated with derision, but it seems OK to give London special dispensation, a club that has fared no better, people keep on clinging to potential, but it aint going to happen.

4 hours ago, MrPosh said:

No specifically wanting to split hairs, but Charlton is a two minute walk from the railway station. 

Admittedly not particularly accessible from the North, but easily to get to from Central London. 

My apologies. The time I went there (the days of Richie Barnett)  I took the tube and was forced to take a cab from the tube station. I wish I had known about the train link. But given that fact, all the more reason to explore the possibilities of a return to Charlton by London Broncos. It is a nice little ground, and big enough for Super League.

Archived