Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
marklaspalmas

Match Thread: Featherstone Rovers v London Sunday 22nd July 2018

Thought we had a real dig today and the players have nothing to be ashamed of in terms of effort, we made plenty of yardage and tried hard in defence. Unfortunately the even more stripped-down game plan wasn't quite enough, you need a bit more guile to break down a full-time and well-organised defence like London's. After all our discussions before the game we actually appeared to play without a second half back, the nearest anyone came to playing that role on the right hand side was Hardman but I don't think either of our wings touched the ball other from acting half which says it all.

Whereas they completely outplayed us at their place earlier in the year, I'm pretty sure given the platform the forwards gave us today,  with Ridyard and Holmes we'd have been able to open them up much more in the final third of the field. I guess those two injuries eventually are going to prove the decisive factor in our season, the table shows there is very little between the 2nd to 6th teams (literally a point between the five) and not having our two major investments in the second half of the season has cost us dearly.

Worth pointing out that this has probably been the strongest renewal of the Championship we have seen, of our top 6 rivals only Leigh have under-achieved really. Not much consolation right now though.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Thought we had a real dig today and the players have nothing to be ashamed of in terms of effort, we made plenty of yardage and tried hard in defence. Unfortunately the even more stripped-down game plan wasn't quite enough, you need a bit more guile to break down a full-time and well-organised defence like London's. After all our discussions before the game we actually appeared to play without a second half back, the nearest anyone came to playing that role on the right hand side was Hardman but I don't think either of our wings touched the ball other from acting half which says it all.

Whereas they completely outplayed us at their place earlier in the year, I'm pretty sure given the platform the forwards gave us today,  with Ridyard and Holmes we'd have been able to open them up much more in the final third of the field. I guess those two injuries eventually are going to prove the decisive factor in our season, the table shows there is very little between the 2nd to 6th teams (literally a point between the five) and not having our two major investments in the second half of the season has cost us dearly.

Worth pointing out that this has probably been the strongest renewal of the Championship we have seen, of our top 6 rivals only Leigh have under-achieved really. Not much consolation right now though.

Good sensible post.

Certainly beats the "I'm not going again this season",or I'm not buying a season ticket next year.

After all you were beaten in a close game by a full time team.

You didn't have a divine right to top 4, although I'm disappointed you did not make it.

be proud fellas. you must a seen some cracking rugby this year for sure and a bit more to come yet, just think what we have to deal with now after our ziltch from 9.be back next week thou

p.s, is it roller or brush for robins rear.:scare:

Injuries, small squad, part time players. Featherstone haven’t been good enough, they have lost against all the top teams, 2 against fellow part timers Halifax.

I’ll be honest, if Mark Campbell turned his attention to York then who could blame him as a businessman? We have had some fantastic seasons over the last 10 years and still attendances aren’t great really. Then, if we were to make SL, they would increase due to away followings but then drop off with the Home following due to losing a majority of games.

I love sitting in that stand and minding my own business watching Rovers but aside from the 2,000 (ish) who turn up every week I’m starting to wonder if we’re at our limit. The sport has slowly fallen away in our little town and days like yesterday won’t help. 

Aside from all that, it was good to see a close game again, there has been too many 60, 70, 80 point score lines. We win, yay, everyone is happy but does it get your heart going? Do you have any fingernails left? 

Yesterday was a shame but we’ll move on and keep trying to get up there. I know that in the coming weeks I will be cheering on Toronto, Toulouse, London & Fax (if they are the 4) in the hope that they do our league proud. Hell, ad absolutely love if all 4 went up, what a spanner that would be.

Good luck to all those teams, they deserve their place and deserve to represent our league.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

A disappointing way for the season to end, but judging the quality of the 4 full-timers I think we all expected them to finish 5th or 6th before the season started. It hurts that it's Fax and not Leigh in the Top 4 though in some ways, but I am pleased for them. A full complement of half backs would have done the job yesterday, and that's down to Wildie's indiscipline at The Shay. The turning point for me was also down to indiscipline, Hock's suspension for the Leigh home game, which inadvertently triggered off a run of catastrophic events- The defeat in that game that Hock might have reversed, but more important the injury to Ridyard, then the week after we get the injury to Holmes, which again was worse than the two points lost. To still get within touching distance was commendable but the events in May were the real killer.

You can't do anything about injuries but discipline has to be much better next season.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, hoolifan27 said:

Fax v Rhinoes at the Shay only fair we have go seen as you lot had a chance a couple of seasons ago when Fax missed out. 

22 minutes ago, hoolifan27 said:

Fax v Rhinoes at the Shay only fair we have go seen as you lot had a chance a couple of seasons ago when Fax missed out. 

I hope they turn out in numbers Hoolifan. What's the situation with bar takings now though? Fev took £25K over the bar and other sales in the corresponding fixture two years ago.

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 9:07 PM, The Phantom Horseman said:

100% spot on.