£10 million from the Government to spend on grass roots RL

Yes a good news story!

To be matched by another £10million from the game to be spent on community clubs. Total £20 Million.

Although only to be spent on infrastructure, unfortunately nothing to be spent on developement Officers, but still a good  news story.

So there will be a lots of new shiny artificial pitches and clubhouses which should help pull in new players and might generate income for the clubs.

This money is in addition to the £15 million the Government is giving to help with the staging of the World Cup.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/44848144

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06dwjnr#play

Fantastic news, I just hope the money is invested wisely and in ways that can be sustained by all parties who receive it. I would be such a shame if they just doled it out in random portions to anyone who applied, i think they would be better off outlining what they hope to achieve with the funding and picking the projects that support the vision, that hopefully feeds into getting more people not only participating, but also staying in the game.

That said, great news!

6 hours ago, Yosser said:

Yes a good news story!

To be matched by another £10million from the game to be spent on community clubs. Total £20 Million.

Although only to be spent on infrastructure, unfortunately nothing to be spent on developement Officers, but still a good  news story.

So there will be a lots of new shiny artificial pitches and clubhouses which should help pull in new players and might generate income for the clubs.

This money is in addition to the £15 million the Government is giving to help with the staging of the World Cup.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/44848144

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06dwjnr#play

Isn’t this fantastic? Looking forward to seeing lots of great legacy projects springing up over the next few years!

1 minute ago, TheMancunianCandidate said:

Isn’t this fantastic? Looking forward to seeing lots of great legacy projects springing up over the next few years!

It’s like a mini Olympic legacy bonus. 

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

6 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

Where will the game get the money from to match the £10,000,000?

There’s lots of paces to find match funding. Especially in larger cities like Manchester. Who knows, some clubs may already have secured some match funds and may be looking for funds like the RLWC one to build an awesome facility!

Lets hope they manage to invest the money and not just fritter it away on projects which produce no long term return - based on past history,they'll manage to waste the money quite quickly,then blame someone for it not producing a return and expect someone else to come up with more money for them to waste.I'm afraid buying kit/equipment for a newly set up club,which wont exist in three yrs time is simply throwing money away.

3 hours ago, cookey said:

Lets hope they manage to invest the money and not just fritter it away on projects which produce no long term return - based on past history,they'll manage to waste the money quite quickly,then blame someone for it not producing a return and expect someone else to come up with more money for them to waste.I'm afraid buying kit/equipment for a newly set up club,which wont exist in three yrs time is simply throwing money away.

I agree with their historical record, however with this coming from Sport England, I'd imagine they'd be much tighter criteria now.

They should certainly look at tight legal contracts for things like artificial pitches - it's scandalous what happened to the one they paid for in London

30 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

I agree with their historical record, however with this coming from Sport England, I'd imagine they'd be much tighter criteria now.

They should certainly look at tight legal contracts for things like artificial pitches - it's scandalous what happened to the one they paid for in London

What happened with the one they paid for in London?

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

1 minute ago, Manx RL said:

What happened with the one they paid for in London?

I can't remember all the details now (I'm hoping a London based poster can fill in the blanks more) but the RFL effectively funded an artificial pitch at a school, where an amateur club? played out of. I'm not sure if that amateur club even exists anymore, but the pitch is used by the school for other sports now, not even RL is played there and we have no claim to it. Shambolic

5 hours ago, cookey said:

I must admit I was surprised to read that kit/equipment was part of this. Surely there are more than enough local community funds to help with this?

Facilities that will be here for decades is where the focus should be.

12 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Land... buy land and allow clubs to build infrastructure on it; all over the country. It would make a huge difference to clubs owning land and facilities like RU clubs have.

Don't the RFL already own one large piece of realty?  

Let us hope it not frittered away in dead end M62 places like Swinton, and instead used to build the game in the south of England. We need to bolster clubs like London Broncos, London Skolars, Coventry Bears, Hemel Stags, etc.

Surely this proves a global footprint and big events is what attracts government money, not limited, regional club competitions. This is direct evidence that expansion and growth delivers for the lowest levels of the game as well as the top. A bigger, stronger RLWC with more nations, more competitive games and more interest from outside the heartlands would make it even better. Yet we still have a game infested with insular, parochial, small-time attitudes. 

Not only should thr RFL match fund,each and every club should also match fund and not be given money.So,if a Club wanted £20,000,they could get £5,000 'Govt' money,match funded by a further £5,000 to give a total of £10,000,then I would expect a club to match that sum by raising £10,000 themselves,to hit the combined figure of £20,000.

Frankly,far too much money is just given/wasted to clubs,who put in little or no effort and in a couple of yrs time,there is absolutely no long term benefit.Only then might something worthwhile come from this substantial sum.Giving an 'enthusiast' £20,000,to establish a club is like burning the money.Two yrs later,there will be no club,no facilities,no assets and no money!

The minimum requirement,is that a club should have at least a 25yr lease on their land and a history to demonstrate that they are sustainable.

Archived