Sign in to follow this  
GUBRATS

Who's up for a mid season 9 s

Recommended Posts

Can somebody with more ' nouse ' than me put a poll on here as to who would be genuinelly interested ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Me neither. Don't introduce a 9s comp that no one is interested in then complain that no one backs it or pays to watch it. Lets just get the most out of 13 a side.

Edited by JohnM
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just as another option , a pre season tournoi somewhere a bit warmer but close enough to be done on the cheap , with an International flavour ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The main target market for 9s wouldnt be the older heartland RL fans.

If you speak to the similar market for cricket fans they will tell you they can't see the appeal of T20, If you spoke to that same market 50 years ago they would have said the same about one-day cricket.

If you speak to a lot of the same market for RU fans they will tell you they can't understand the appeal of 7s.

Not everyone wants to commit for an entire season of either playing or watching. People are busy, they want to dip in and out. 9's is a self contained competition over a weekend that only requires commitment for a weekend.

It is also a fantastic spectacle for TV. 7/8 hours per day over two days with plenty of breaks for Ads all in one place.

Edited by scotchy1
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't mind 9s in theory. I would for instance probably prefer to get rid of the extra fixture that is Magic and have a 9s style event then if we are to have one. However one tournament in isolation is worthless and in practice when there are already far too many matches, and a season starting in the depths of Winter, and not enough internationals I don't see a place for it in the calendar. There are so many ways that 13s can make the game more attractive before we worry about 9s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

Just as another option , a pre season tournoi somewhere a bit warmer but close enough to be done on the cheap , with an International flavour ?

I could certainly see the appeal of this. Could make it a one day event, with the previous seasons top 8 in a knockout tournament, would only be 7 or 8 games (depending on 3/4 place match), and could be played in warmer climates and used to generate a bit of interest in the game in that area - Spain, France, Italy?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would like to see the magic weekend have some 9s games, see how they go with the non traditional fans. Maybe play them in between SL games, possibly with invitational sides, Yorkshire v Lancashire etc. Getting some feedback would then give us an idea of the appetite for it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any "new form" of the game that will improve the popularity,media presence and sponsorship oppertunities should never be ignored.

Eddie / Barry Hearn now sell out arena's all over Europe with live SKY coverage for a sport that only 13 years ago was still a "Pub game".

Pie in the sky ??

Premier League Darts anyone ??

There are plenty of large indoor stadiums across Europe (erm the game is played in Europe by the way) with a floor surface large enough to host a small sided (nines) game of League.

Get the Hearn's involved with their knowledge and promotional experience (not to forget their SKY contacts) to promote a Euro Wide Indoor Nines circuit.

Like the Olympic and World Rugby sevens circuits it doesnt have to be the "Elite" players but specialist teams central funded by Matchroom or franchised out.

Host cities to bid to host a round,SKY sports to cover the event along with Via Sat, Bein,Arena,Ziggo etc etc  ..all connected to SKY through distribution. European wide audience.

A close quarter, all action, nothing given, spectical MADE FOR TV ........not rugby league as the M62 know it......  but still a (different) tool to spread the game to a new audience.

Imagine how Belgrade v Amsterdam,Berlin v London,Paris v Barcelona,Prauge v Oslo would look on TV  in front of 15-20,000 fans in a party atmosphere.

Na can't be done....

Neither could the Hearns sell out Ahoy in Rotterdam for darts we were told ... now they have to put extra nights on to accomodate the crowds and all because of one Dutchman .

10,000 tickets sold in under one hour priced at 45 pounds down to 27 pounds.

Have you ever seen the Red Star Belgrade crowds at Basketball ??

That COULD be converted into a Red Star Belgrade Rugby League crowd within a few years with a Sebian RL player being the new Bogdan Bogdanovic  bringing in the crowds.

Big crowds follow Handball in Norway..maybe a Norwegian RL players could be the new Nora Mork, a Dutchman the new van Gerwen.

Everything is possible.

Its made for Matchroom .

Someone just needs a little vision, a lot of money and a broader outlook..there are different ways to bring in money through TV and sponsorship and push the game into a new era, without affecting the thirteen aside game back in the heartlands. (which by all accounts and reading the doom and gloom on these boards is on its deathbed anyway) whilst also pushing the game into TV rooms all over Europe.

 

"Indoor League" and not a flat capper (or Freddie Trueman) in sight 🤣🤣

Maybe Hull could bid for a round once its established 😎

Who's got  Eddies phone number .

Best be quick Union will jump on it one once they read this .......🙄🙄

 

OK coats on..........

 

Edited by yanto

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, yanto said:

 

 

Neither could the Hearns sell out Ahoy in Rotterdam for darts we were told ... now they have to put extra nights on to accomodate the crowds and all because of one Dutchman 

 

You mean taking events to hotbeds of the game? I take it your knowledge of Dutch Darts is pretty limited because Darts in Holland is pretty big and certainly not purely down to Michael Van Gerwen. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Can somebody with more ' nouse ' than me put a poll on here as to who would be genuinelly interested ?

Are you serious Gubby?

Apart from that it should be banished to the history books, how could you even comtemplate that it should take place mid-season, I know that you are heavily involved with a Championship club striving to make the top 4, and there are also the teams in SL necessitating to finish as high as they can or to avoid the bottom 4.

What would you do you think any of the clubs reaction would be to a mid-season distraction, do you consider they would welcome it with open arms, and risk any of their better player's being injured, if such a competition was forced on clubs, I would expect it to become an Academy competition in all but name.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bump

Up to now the genereal concensus is a NO for a mid season [ similar posts on the Toronto thread ] but possibly a pre season somewhere warm , but would that achieve what was originally the point of reducing the number of ' regular ' season games without losing revenue ?

Edited by GUBRATS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, JohnM said:

Me neither. Don't introduce a 9s comp that no one is interested in then complain that no one backs it or pays to watch it. Lets just get the most out of 13 a side.

Wonder if cricket thought along those lines when 20:20 was first suggested ?

I agree that the 13 a side game is the core "product" but do think that 9s could be used particularly in development areas as a means to generate wider interest. Marketed properly it has the potential to become an "event" and events sell tickets

   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, headtackle said:

Wonder if cricket thought along those lines when 20:20 was first suggested ?

I agree that the 13 a side game is the core "product" but do think that 9s could be used particularly in development areas as a means to generate wider interest. Marketed properly it has the potential to become an "event" and events sell tickets

  

A RL match is already the equivalent of a 20/20 , played mid week at night

No comparison

The discussion is a mid season 7/9s comp , would we see the best , or just the rest

Or is a pre season the only place for a ' event ' like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, headtackle said:

Wonder if cricket thought along those lines when 20:20 was first suggested 

I doubt it. So many differences.  I dont follow crikit, so tell me ,  he many players on a 20 20 team? How long does a game endure?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, JohnM said:

I doubt it. So many differences.  I dont follow crikit, so tell me ,  he many players on a 20 20 team? How long does a game endure?

Exactly the same number participating as in Test, 3 day, and one day games, "endure" that implies sufferage, whilst exactly the opposite applies it is both fast and very entertaining, from the rule book:

"Each innings should last no longer than 75 minutes, equating to an average of three minutes 45 seconds per over. Teams will incur a six-run penalty if they fail to bowl the full 20 overs within the 75 minutes.

hope that helps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

You mean taking events to hotbeds of the game? I take it your knowledge of Dutch Darts is pretty limited because Darts in Holland is pretty big and certainly not purely down to Michael Van Gerwen. 

 

Was a bit tounge in cheek you know...but now I think about it......🤣 ??

Ik woon al twintig jaar in Nederland.

My knowledge of Dutch sports scene is quite good and off course Barney and Cor Stompy were the fore runners  for the Dutch dart scene.

As for being Pretty Big !!!!

Still a pub game and comes way down in the Dutch sporting landscape but due to TV and exposure the Premier League of Darts can sell Ahoy out .

One off yearly events like the Premier Darts League can out sell most soccer clubs crowds in the Netherlands  (apart from the big three),dwarf Hockey crowds (second most popular sport) and this is not down to hundreds of thousands playing darts (more play soccer and hockey) its all down to TV EXPOSURE and PROMOTION.

F1 is once again getting a big following due to Max Verstappen but since Joss stopped no one followed F1 and it was dropped  from TV.

Tour de France has massive TV ratings but hey guess what the Rabobank pulled their sponsorship and the smaller Lotto/Jumbo team is not the draw Rabobank used to be.BUT TV and promotion still get a big audience.

Ever been to Norway when the Handball is in full swing or Belgrade when the Basketball is rocking ?

These are the maybe the style/type of events that Matchroom could bring to the European TV rooms with a small sided indoor game.MAYBE NOT but hey thinking outside the box could just be something that should have been done over the last hundred or so years instead of sitting on our bums watching the game die.

But back to the game which by all accounts dying  thats all we are being told so new markets need to be explored .

Hotbeds of the game ???

where are the hotbeds ????  

West Cumbria  is on their ######...The amatuer game that produces the players of the future is on its ###### all over the Hotbed of Yorkshire and Lancashire.

We need

new hotbeds...

new areas...

new supporters...

new input ...

new ideas...

new sponsors...

new promotions..

all the things that people say the RFL are failing at.

Lets just sit back and watch the heartland supporters get older (while still moaning about lack of development and promotion) never to be replaced by a younger generation or lets change our small town mentality and do something about it.

Its a big wide world but for some reason suggestions to expand the game (or try another format as other sports have done to increase awareness and sponsors) just keep getting knocked back by heartland supporters who can not see "OUR GAME" is slowly dying , or wont let go off it for fear their favourite pit village team will go to the wall and before long (apart from the elite grouip of clubs) it will be gone due to lack of vision and people "up North" holding it back.

Nines (what the opening thread is about) has never captured the imagination,never been supported or has never been properly planned and I dont think it would make any impression.....but something needs to be done.

EX West Cumbria now living in Holland

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, yanto said:

Was a bit tounge in cheek you know...but now I think about it......🤣 ??

Ik woon al twintig jaar in Nederland.

My knowledge of Dutch sports scene is quite good and off course Barney and Cor Stompy were the fore runners  for the Dutch dart scene.

As for being Pretty Big !!!!

Still a pub game and comes way down in the Dutch sporting landscape but due to TV and exposure the Premier League of Darts can sell Ahoy out .

One off yearly events like the Premier Darts League can out sell most soccer clubs crowds in the Netherlands  (apart from the big three),dwarf Hockey crowds (second most popular sport) and this is not down to hundreds of thousands playing darts (more play soccer and hockey) its all down to TV EXPOSURE and PROMOTION.

F1 is once again getting a big following due to Max Verstappen but since Joss stopped no one followed F1 and it was dropped  from TV.

Tour de France has massive TV ratings but hey guess what the Rabobank pulled their sponsorship and the smaller Lotto/Jumbo team is not the draw Rabobank used to be.BUT TV and promotion still get a big audience.

Ever been to Norway when the Handball is in full swing or Belgrade when the Basketball is rocking ?

These are the maybe the style/type of events that Matchroom could bring to the European TV rooms with a small sided indoor game.MAYBE NOT but hey thinking outside the box could just be something that should have been done over the last hundred or so years instead of sitting on our bums watching the game die.

But back to the game which by all accounts dying  thats all we are being told so new markets need to be explored .

Hotbeds of the game ???

where are the hotbeds ????  

West Cumbria  is on their ######...The amatuer game that produces the players of the future is on its ###### all over the Hotbed of Yorkshire and Lancashire.

We need

new hotbeds...

new areas...

new supporters...

new input ...

new ideas...

new sponsors...

new promotions..

all the things that people say the RFL are failing at.

Lets just sit back and watch the heartland supporters get older (while still moaning about lack of development and promotion) never to be replaced by a younger generation or lets change our small town mentality and do something about it.

Its a big wide world but for some reason suggestions to expand the game (or try another format as other sports have done to increase awareness and sponsors) just keep getting knocked back by heartland supporters who can not see "OUR GAME" is slowly dying , or wont let go off it for fear their favourite pit village team will go to the wall and before long (apart from the elite grouip of clubs) it will be gone due to lack of vision and people "up North" holding it back.

Nines (what the opening thread is about) has never captured the imagination,never been supported or has never been properly planned and I dont think it would make any impression.....but something needs to be done.

EX West Cumbria now living in Holland

 

In your opinion it’s a pub game, it’s clearly no longer that on UK or Intercontinental scene.

I also think you’re underestimating the level of support and infrastructure Darts has in the Netherlands. 9 of the top 50 (just shy of 20%) ranked Darts players are Dutch and 13 of the top 100 are Dutch. That’s not a fluke, it’s not just a few blokes who got lucky. It’s a hotbed of the game. Having been to the World Championships in London, the sheer number of Dutch fans who travel to London is phenomenal. The Netherlands is Darts’ strongest market outside of the UK. 

You cannot just throw a tournament together over night and expect it to be a hotbed of any sport over night. It simply doesn’t happen like that. There hasn’t been a raft of Denver based Supporters Clubs shooting up since the England v New Zealand Test, for example.

There are many ways to get new interest in the sport but pitching up with a made up tournament with no history or relevance behind it and a load of fictitious sides with no history or tradition to them is not the way, IMO. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Darts is a pub game , an excuse for a ###### up while watching a big screen [ because if you didnt have the screen you couldnt tell what was happening ] hoping they'll point the camera at you and your stupidly dressed mates

A stag do ont telly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Darts is a pub game , an excuse for a ###### up while watching a big screen [ because if you didnt have the screen you couldnt tell what was happening ] hoping they'll point the camera at you and your stupidly dressed mates

A stag do ont telly

A financially lucrative and well supported “pub game”. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

A financially lucrative and well supported “pub game”.

But still a pub game stroke / ' stag do '

Tell me if they werent allowed to sell beer at their events , how many would attend ?

Edited by GUBRATS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Colin James said:

Why don't we play with 11 and kick the ball around?

Nah, it'll never catch on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.