Sign in to follow this  
Broncos News

The Interview – Ben Evans

Off the pitch, the gentle giant that is Ben Evans spends his time with his partner travelling the world. On the pitch just don’t get in his way.
We spoke to the Welsh International about life here at the Broncos.

This is your second season here so how are you finding London?
It’s great, to be honest. I just never thought that I would be living and working down here in the capital. I remember coming down when my girlfriend Sally was at Uni here and it was a rat race. I kept thinking to myself that I couldn’t live here but two years later I signed and have loved every minute of it. I don’t think I would have seen as much of the city as I have had I stayed up north.

London must have been a huge culture shock after leaving Warrington?
I live a bit further out from central London so I don’t see as much of the congestion as say the boys who live in Ealing. Going from the Welsh valleys to Warrington was a big step for me so moving to London was an even bigger one but an interesting step on the whole.

Has Rugby League given you opportunities that you might not have had elsewhere?
Absolutely. Right from my school rugby up until today, I would not have done half the things I have or seen the places I have seen if it wasn’t for the sport. I’ve been to Australia twice, Canada, although I missed this season’s trip, France many times and it’s all down to rugby league that I have done these amazing things.

Did going to the World Cup with four other Broncos help you?
I played at the previous World Cup and the squad was similar to be fair but playing with the London boys each week and then going into a Welsh camp made it a lot more home from home for me and all of us I think. They are big personalities in the Welsh group and most of them have been playing together for a while too.

You talk about Sally-Ann, your partner. Tell us about your relationship with her.
Well, she is an Air Hostess in Manchester and is doing really well in her career. She was going to move down when I first signed but she was offered a promotion which was too good to refuse. She is flying all over the place and is currently in the Spain base for a couple of days. She is also starting up a photography business soon too. It is hard but we try to see each other as much as possible and make the most of the time we have.

Now on Social media, I think it’s obvious that you both love to travel.
Anytime we get off together we travel all over. In the last 12 to 18 months, we have been lucky enough to go to Thailand, Nice, Rome and are hoping to go to Amsterdam at the end of the season. It’s great exploring the world with her.

Your Mum has been to games here a few times this season. Has she been a big part of your career?
Without a doubt. She decided to move to the north and drop everything when I was 14 just to give Rhys, my twin brother, and myself a scholarship opportunity. Back then I didn’t understand how much she had given up for us but now I realise that not many parents would do what she did for us. She always told us to give it a go and if it didn’t work out we could try something else. I have always learned from her that you can’t ever think about the “What if”. You have to take a chance whenever it comes your way.

Now you and your brother, Rhys, are both playing professionally. How has that been for you both?
We’ve both had our ups and downs and injury worries but we are both playing full time now with Rhys at Leigh and me here. It probably hasn’t been the career that we dreamed of because of the injuries but at 25 years old we are both now secure with our own houses each and you wouldn’t be able to do that in a normal job. We both owe Mum everything and without her, neither of us would be the men that we are now.

View the full article