Sign in to follow this  
GeordieSaint

Touch European Championships

Six touches and a sort of PTB.

France v Wales over-45s on now.

When I play touch with the old union blokes over in France it's still rugby union even though it's six tackles and des grate poule! ( chicken scratch is what they call the play the ball) all refuse to do it properly ! They either turn and roll the ball backwards or hold the ball up between their legs like an American football hike or just drop it on the floor between their legs and protect it like in a ruck! 

A pretty impressive event - over 300 matches in 4 days!

2 minutes ago, Tre Cool said:

Is it affiliated to union?

It has its own, separate, national and international governing bodies.

https://www.internationaltouch.org/about-fit/

However, I'm sure one Rugby code will be claiming everyone at this event in their own participation figures... and the other code probably won't.

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

However, I'm sure one Rugby code will be claiming everyone at this event in their own participation figures... and the other code probably won't.

Indeed. Could be costly too when you consider Sport England funding...

Based on what I've seen today, the Touch equivalent of the PTB is very quick and can really fluster defences when used properly. However the passing and catching skills could be better overall.

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

Indeed. Could be costly too when you consider Sport England funding...

2 hours ago, Futtocks said:

From what I understand Touch has it's own separate national bodies, however all round the world Union and League try to claim the sport as their own. For example, in this Sport England report it mentions that both the RFU & RFL run touch sections (pg.4), but it doesn't mention Touch England itself. In Aus, NRL owns touch whereas in England O2 Touch (which is run by the RFU) has most of the player base, and has significantly more members than England Touch, which can probably be attributed to two main reasons: 1. O2 touch is free, whereas TE membership is £20/ea, 2. RU clubs can run touch a lot more easily, for they already have the facilities. O2 Touch can also offer quite a lot of support in terms of equipment and materials, which is why my local Uni's touch team is affiliated to O2 touch, and anyone that wants to go and play at a higher level then registers with TE after they've got the nod for rep honours.

The RFL also has a touch programme, but it's slightly less developed, because Touch RL wants people to pay the RFL a decent chunk of change for the honour of setting up a franchise. Which is a massive failure of whoever was incharge of operations in the RFL over the last few years...

2 hours ago, Tre Cool said:

Is it affiliated to union?

Not this event, no. Although a few (very low profile) union players are playing for Ireland.

Edited by Chamey

Just to add, ironically the RFU has most of the participation in touch, which is derived from RL. Whereas the RFL are in partnership with Try Tag Rugby, the main board for tag rugby in England, which as a sport was invented by Gibraltar Rugby Union.

31 minutes ago, Chamey said:

Although a few (very low profile) union players are playing for Ireland.

I got back from the shopping and switched on the TV, to hear a commentator mention an England try-scorer as a former professional RL player. Didn't catch his name, but he's apparently currently playing with the Manchester Chargers Touch club.

Given the smaller number of playing opportunities in women's Rugby, I'd assume quite a few of the ladies were players of more than one code.

Edited by Futtocks

5 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

The RFU counts this as union, I think. Outrageous, really.

Its going to end in disaster for League if we don't enforce League rules. 

Biggest problem you have is the Australians (maybe not in Queensland) are completely unaware of how the rest of the world works will continue to help the advancement of Touch Football as a separate code, under F.I.T. rules.

That's going to really help figures with Sport England.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

Its going to end in disaster for League if we don't enforce League rules. 

Biggest problem you have is the Australians (maybe not in Queensland) are completely unaware of how the rest of the world works will continue to help the advancement of Touch Football as a separate code, under F.I.T. rules.

That's going to really help figures with Sport England.

Touch Rugby already is a separate code, and I can't see how anyone's going to put the cat back in the bag. If RL was organising and funding touch tournaments around the world then it could happen, but I don't exactly see the will.

Just now, Chamey said:

Touch Rugby already is a separate code, and I can't see how anyone's going to put the cat back in the bag. If RL was organising and funding touch tournaments around the world then it could happen, but I don't exactly see the will.

Its not.  It wants to be.  But will probably will be the way things are going.

We have yet again another honesty problem in Rugby League pretending a problem does not exist and will happily involve third parties in our sport with their own agendas and we will walk into another funding disaster.

If we want to protect our funding we need to say bye bye to FIT and play under distinctly League rules.

In Queensland they are already doing this:

http://www.trl.com.au/qldsc18/

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

Its not.  It wants to be.  But will probably will be the way things are going.

We have yet again another honesty problem in Rugby League pretending a problem does not exist and will happily involve third parties in our sport with their own agendas and we will walk into another funding disaster.

If we want to protect our funding we need to say bye bye to FIT and play under distinctly League rules.

In Queensland they are already doing this:

http://www.trl.com.au/qldsc18/

Admittedly I know almost nothing about touch down south, but I'm unconvinced in the UK. How many RL Touch leagues/Uni societies are there in the UK compared to O2 & Touch affiliated ones? 

However yeah, it is crucial that the RLIF tries dot get control of touch, because it's by far the most likely form of RL to get into the commonwealth games/olympics due to it's mixed status.

And, in a new front between the codes: https://www.englandrugby.com/news/england-rugby-and-england-touch-association-announce-partnership/.

Turns out that I was wrong, ET is now affiliated with the RFU as of yesterday, and yup the only reason I can see for this is so that RU gets more Sport England funding, which they can pass most of onto ETA (who currently get none). Of course this makes re-absorbing touch slightly more difficult.

Edited by Chamey

9 minutes ago, Chamey said:

Admittedly I know almost nothing about touch down south, but I'm unconvinced in the UK. How many RL Touch leagues/Uni societies are there in the UK compared to O2 & Touch affiliated ones? 

However yeah, it is crucial that the RLIF tries dot get control of touch, because it's by far the most likely form of RL to get into the commonwealth games/olympics due to it's mixed status.

And, in a new front between the codes: https://www.englandrugby.com/news/england-rugby-and-england-touch-association-announce-partnership/.

Turns out that I was wrong, ET is now affiliated with the RFU as of yesterday, and yup the only reason I can see for this is so that RU gets more Sport England funding, which they can pass most of onto ETA (who currently get none). Of course this makes re-absorbing touch slightly more difficult.

There you are.

Sadly when I play touch down here I am technically playing RU. I wear League shirts, however!

15 minutes ago, Chamey said:

Union are not stupid they know they need Touch for the Sports England numbers as Union is too dangerous for kids to play.

It helps them in destroying international growth.  They can form Rugby Federations with FIT under the  banner of a Rugby Federation.

See UAE for an example of when they did this.

If you control Touch Football and 15s , you can claim control of all Rugby codes.

Make it illegal to play League in certain countries.

Edited by TheLegendOfTexEvans

1 minute ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

Union are not stupid they know they need Touch for the Sports England numbers as Union is too dangerous for kids to play.

It helps them in destroying international growth.  They can form Rugby Federations with FIT under the union banner.

If you control Touch Football and 15s , you can claim control of all Rugby codes.

On the other hand, more kids playing touch rugby is not necessarily a bad thing for League, at least in this country. 

If kids grow up playing touch, they may be inclined to prefer playing league than union in later life, either amateur or professional.

That’s the optimistic view, anyway!

6 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

On the other hand, more kids playing touch rugby is not necessarily a bad thing for League, at least in this country. 

If kids grow up playing touch, they may be inclined to prefer playing league than union in later life, either amateur or professional.

That’s the optimistic view, anyway!

If you watch the cardio rubbish played at Manchester Chargers, then see what players do in training its no relation.

FIT people will often rubbish league on social media which is quite funny when you see they are playing to 6 tackles.

5 minutes ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

If you watch the cardio rubbish played at Manchester Chargers, then see what players do in training its no relation.

Not sure I follow you.

Touch is very aerobic, like league. Touch could actually be a useful recruiting sergeant for league clubs with a bit of nous.

19 minutes ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

It helps them in destroying international growth.  They can form Rugby Federations with FIT under the  banner of a Rugby Federation.

Hmm, that seems like a quality 'fact'. I can't see how union would be any more or less dangerous than League.

Yup, to a certain extent the case for changing the name of rugby league continues to grow stronger.

2 minutes ago, Chamey said:

Yup, to a certain extent the case for changing the name of rugby league continues to grow stronger.

You’d love that, wouldn’t you? :wink:

2 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

You’d love that, wouldn’t you? :wink:

To be fair, I did stumble upon an interesting post in league unlimited from a few years ago regarding name changes the other day. Doing as the French do and just calling it League Thirteens or the like would provide a bit of differentiation while still being easily recognisable.

Edited by Chamey