Sign in to follow this  
DEANO

Knights show intent

Following making Ford the first full time coach they have just announced an nrl signing for the rest of the season 

It's Joel Edwards btw.

How did he end up with Limoux in the first place? He's not a world beater but I remember him looking a decent player at the Raiders and he has a lot of NRL games under his belt. Would have expected someone a bit higher up to have picked him up by now. Don't know how he is playing these days, but it seems a good signing from what I know of him.

• Like 1

If they gain promotion and Featherstone don't, surely there'll be a conflict of interest next season what with Mark Campbell bankrolling both clubs? 

22 minutes ago, Eric Bristow said:

If they gain promotion and Featherstone don't, surely there'll be a conflict of interest next season what with Mark Campbell bankrolling both clubs? 

Don't think there's anything in the rules against that though?

Here are Mark Campbell's comments at the time of the takeover back in late 2016/early 2017:

Meanwhile, on concerns over conflicts of interest given his involvement at two clubs, Campbell said: "I love rugby league. If we were playing each other, then whoever plays best would deserve to win the game.

"It does not make any difference. I want York to have a good side. I want Featherstone to have a good side. Our goal is to have York in the Championship as quickly as possible. York has so much potential."

• Like 2

Other League 1 clubs are gonna have start buying a lot more ice after they play against this dude, he hits like a truck

Unfortunately for York they won’t go up automatically because of Bradford’s superior points difference (unless there’s a drastic turnaround) but will be very strong favourites to win the play offs. They are easily deserving of a promotion spot. I just hope they don’t blow it when the play offs come around. 

• Like 1

All York can do is win their remaining games. There's a decent chance Bradford might drop points somewhere. I usually enjoy the play offs but with there being such a gap between the top two and the rest this season neither of them really deserve to miss out. For the good of the sport I think we need Bradford in the Super League and York in the championship with the potential for growth.

• Like 4

Fantastic to see everything thats going on at York at the moment,Im sure they'll take their place in the championship next season and the fact they'll be playing out of a brand new stadium makes it even better.

On the ownership/Financing issue with Mark Campbell surely its unacceptable to be involved with two clubs in the same division ?  

11 hours ago, AB Knight said:

Don't think there's anything in the rules against that though?

Here are Mark Campbell's comments at the time of the takeover back in late 2016/early 2017:

Meanwhile, on concerns over conflicts of interest given his involvement at two clubs, Campbell said: "I love rugby league. If we were playing each other, then whoever plays best would deserve to win the game.

"It does not make any difference. I want York to have a good side. I want Featherstone to have a good side. Our goal is to have York in the Championship as quickly as possible. York has so much potential."

As heartfelt as that sentiment is it doesn't really work like that. Too many grey areas unfortunately. York are doing marvellous stuff on and off the field. 

Edited by Scubby

3 minutes ago, jpmc said:

On the ownership/Financing issue with Mark Campbell surely its unacceptable to be involved with two clubs in the same division ?  

3 minutes ago, Scubby said:

As heartfelt as that sentiment is it doesn't really work like that. Too many grey areas unfortunately.

Again, I'd be interested to know what the rules are.

3 minutes ago, AB Knight said:

The only instance I can think of is when Ian Lenegan was forced to sell his stake in then Harlequins after buying into Wigan. And that was with licensing not P&R.

With P&R both ways and a sliding scale of funding across the whole of the Championship, there is a huge can of worms potentially waiting to escape - particularly at this time of the season when points mean tens of thousands of pounds of central funding.

Edited by Scubby
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Scubby said:

The only instance I can think of is when Ian Lenegan was forced to sell his stake in then Harlequins after buying into Wigan. And that was with licensing not P&R.

With P&R both ways and a sliding scale of funding across the whole of the Championship, there is a huge can of worms potentially waiting to escape - particularly at this time of the season when points mean tens of thousands of pounds of central funding.

Very true. However I'd be very surprised if Mark Campbell and Jon Flatman (two very astute people) wouldn't have considered this scenario, especially as the clear aim is for both clubs to be in the Championship.

Time will tell, I guess.

1 minute ago, AB Knight said:

Very true. However I'd be very surprised if Mark Campbell and Jon Flatman (two very astute people) wouldn't have considered this scenario, especially as the clear aim is for both clubs to be in the Championship.

Time will tell, I guess.

Perhaps a merger is on the cards? I saw the new joint-venture club badge leaked on twitter the other day

fork1.png.7586caf523a61aaef24491c54a13ec62.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Two seasons ago York were on the brink of dropping out, now it seems that has forgotten, a full time coach, a expensive import. Any player they want to sign now will be asking for more money than they would have done a week ago, the existing players will want more money.  Too many clubs look like they have overspent, lets hope York are not doing this and join the long list of others in trouble.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

Perhaps a merger is on the cards? I saw the new joint-venture club badge leaked on twitter the other day

fork1.png.7586caf523a61aaef24491c54a13ec62.png

Might have to explain that one to me....I was brought up in Cas, so explain slowly 😁

• Like 2

Just now, AB Knight said:

Might have to explain that one to me....I was brought up in Cas, so explain slowly 😁

Oh dear AB

"F"eatherstone and Y "ork"🤨

• Haha 3

19 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Oh dear AB

I'm so glad that AB had the humility and honesty to ask.  he wasn't alone...!

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Impartial Observer said:

Two seasons ago York were on the brink of dropping out, now it seems that has forgotten, a full time coach, a expensive import. Any player they want to sign now will be asking for more money than they would have done a week ago, the existing players will want more money.  Too many clubs look like they have overspent, lets hope York are not doing this and join the long list of others in trouble.

We weren't on the brink of dropping out due to overspending and money troubles. It was purely down to the old owners behaviour with the council causing us to be made homeless. The club now is so far removed from that it's like comparing (K)night and day.

Do you suggest we go for an average squad, let other clubs poach our coach and keep the money in the bank? Or do what any ambitious club who is moving into a £50m stadium complex would do and ensure we're playing the likes of Featherstone and Halifax in there instead of Hemel and West Wales.

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Oh dear AB

They could use the suffix Offs.

If Mark was told to pick one club (and so he should), I know which one I would pick and I have a feeling it will be the one he'll pick (York).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AB Knight said:

You are only allowed to be a 'person of significant control' at ONE club.

A Person of Significant Control (PSC) is anyone that exerts a significant influence or control over a company. They are identified as a PSC if they meet any of the following criteria:

1. Hold more than 25% of a share in a company or have the right to participate in more than 25% of the surplus assets of an LLP
  2. Hold more than 25% of the voting rights in a company or LLP
  3. Has the right to appoint or remove the majority of the directors/management of a company or LLP
  4. Has the right to exert or is exerting a significant influence or control over a company or LLP
  5. Has significant influence or control over a Trust or Firm that meets any of the above criteria

2 hours ago, Simon Hall said:

We weren't on the brink of dropping out due to overspending and money troubles. It was purely down to the old owners behaviour with the council causing us to be made homeless. The club now is so far removed from that it's like comparing (K)night and day.

Do you suggest we go for an average squad, let other clubs poach our coach and keep the money in the bank? Or do what any ambitious club who is moving into a £50m stadium complex would do and ensure we're playing the likes of Featherstone and Halifax in there instead of Hemel and West Wales.

The York squad to play against the part time teams representing Hemel and West Wales always contains dual reg players who are part of the full time Super League clubs.

It may have been acceptable to play the side containing those players against the hybrid full and part time Bradford side but is is difficult to accept a level playing field against the rest of the League 1 clubs.

With York still having to play away at both Hemel and West Wales it will be interesting to see how many dual reg players are available in August and September.

22 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

The York squad to play against the part time teams representing Hemel and West Wales always contains dual reg players who are part of the full time Super League clubs.

It may have been acceptable to play the side containing those players against the hybrid full and part time Bradford side but is is difficult to accept a level playing field against the rest of the League 1 clubs.

With York still having to play away at both Hemel and West Wales it will be interesting to see how many dual reg players are available in August and September.

I'm sure we'll go with the strongest possible squad available to us, playing to the rules set out by the RFL, to enable us to score as many points as we possibly can. It's tight at the top with only points difference in it. 

You need to give it a rest moaning about DR, we put 144 on West Wales without a single DR player in the team and 90 on Hemel with just 1 DR, a 19 year old.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chris Taylor said:

If Mark was told to pick one club (and so he should), I know which one I would pick and I have a feeling it will be the one he'll pick (York).

He will have to sell, or more likely give away, a large proportion of his Featherstone shares should he do that.