Failures

Blue Pike

2 hours ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

We gambled on spending big on Holmes and Ridyard and due to injuries it hasn’t paid off. The Luke Briscoe situation hasn’t helped either.

Let's not rewrite history based on outcome rather than process - the signings of Holmes and Ridyard were both massive coups. Yes, we could have probably had 5 or 6 squad players for the same money but that wouldn't have taken us over the line and into the top four.

It's very difficult to legislate for injuries...Toronto missed out on the top 4 last year when their starting halves Ford and Robin got injured, the same has happened to us this year. I very much doubt Fax would be where they are now if Murrell and Johnston had been injured throughout the second half of the season...you can fill in when forwards get injured, and three quarters to a degree, but not when your two biggest playmakers get injured and you have aspirations of finishing in the top 4 of the toughest Championship we have seen.

The Briscoe situation, on the other hand, has been far from satisfactory, I got this completely wrong and thought the "loan" to Leeds was just a clever manoeuvre but clearly not. Although his chances have dried up out wide since our starting halves got hurt he's still the biggest try-scoring threat in our squad. London didn't create much yesterday but the three guys who scored their try all have a real nose for the try line and that's what we lacked.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

And as things stand we get to ruin your season at the Shay. ;)

My daughter and her family used to live in Calderdale Blues Ox, and its a beautiful place. They call it "God's own country" and you would think he has been looking after them with the absence of injuries to key players, but what happened to Fev on the injury front has surely been the Devil's work!

24 minutes ago, Steve Slater said:

My daughter and her family used to live in Calderdale Blues Ox, and its a beautiful place. They call it "God's own country" and you would think he has been looking after them with the absence of injuries to key players, but what happened to Fev on the injury front has surely been the Devil's work!

We have had injuries its just we have players chomping at the bit to come in and do a job. When Grix has missed he leaves a massive hole but Butler stepped up to the point where he has kept his place and we will do well to hang on to him. Its no wonder our first team seem to do the business every week when they know one below average game and they will miss out the following week.

4 hours ago, Steve Slater said:

I always thought Fev would beat Toronto if they had to, but not now. It will be two teams playing for nothing but pride. Pity, but another half back like Wildie back in the side that played yesterday would have given them a real test. But I don't think they'll have the stomach for the fight now, although they might have the stomach for the other kind of fight.....the one that's been letting them down all season in terms of suspensions! 

You still have a chance!  One thing we know in Canada is how our national team plays hockey (I know...I know....another hockey metaphor).  In hockey you never give up, not until the last buzzer.....play to the complete last second of every match....this is drilled into players from their first game....full effort on every shift....so many times over the years I have seen great things happen.  the best was in the '72 Summit Series against the Russians.

Toronto is playing for more than pride also....they will have their starters out there on full bore...need to set the tone for the playoffs and be clicking....need to end on a high note.  This game is very important for team cohesion.

Crowd will be expecting a good game...I know Fev will give it their best....you still have a viable chance of slipping in...never give up!

henderson.jpg

18 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

We have had injuries its just we have players chomping at the bit to come in and do a job. When Grix has missed he leaves a massive hole but Butler stepped up to the point where he has kept his place and we will do well to hang on to him. Its no wonder our first team seem to do the business every week when they know one below average game and they will miss out the following week.

It's where you get those injuries that makes the difference though. If Murrell and Johnston had suffered season-ending injuries and missed the second half of the season, what would have been your half back pairing, and where do you think Fax would be in the table now?

3 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

He would have to sell (who's going to buy?), or give away, most of his Featherstone shares to buy significantly into York.

We shall see

28 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Crowd will be expecting a good game...I know Fev will give it their best....you still have a viable chance of slipping in...never give up!

It will still be in Fev's interest to win. Finishing 5th gets you a home game against Leigh in the eights. If it's not too early it would be great for Riddy to return and put one over on his former side after the way he was injured against them.

24 minutes ago, Steve Slater said:

It will still be in Fev's interest to win. Finishing 5th gets you a home game against Leigh in the eights. If it's not too early it would be great for Riddy to return and put one over on his former side after the way he was injured against them.

Now thats the Spirit Steve!

3 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

It's where you get those injuries that makes the difference though. If Murrell and Johnston had suffered season-ending injuries and missed the second half of the season, what would have been your half back pairing, and where do you think Fax would be in the table now?

Its hard to say because if either picked up injury then we had money spare to go out and sign a replacement but failing that we have JWH and Grix who could both slot in there as they have done during games when Murrell or Johnston have been rested.

A few annoying matters contriving to undo us yesterday, namely;

1. The half back scenario, with reference to our dual reg partner club, surely given our predicament, key discussions should have taken place about releasing Jordan Lilley to us rather than loaning him to Bradford. Even if Wildie was allowed to play yesterday, we have no cover in the halves as was plain for all to see given the limitations in our execution yesterday, despite the notable effort of the players. Given the so called relationship between the two clubs, it beggars belief the Lilley wasn't made available to us in the first instance as a contingency measure for us.

2. The Briscoe situation, the timing here is questionable in that we've released him to Leeds before we've secured our own position, again with disastrous effects. I can only assume we are cash strapped and we desperately needed whatever Leeds offered for the privilege.

3. Squad strengthening, as other teams have demonstrated under the current format, adding quality to the squad is a given towards the back end of the season if you want to hold your ground and compete more, the fact that we have not added anyone of note again leads me to think that we are cash strapped, to a degree that most supporters are not being made aware of.

4. Given that MC is also supposedly heavily linked with YCK, I think a full club statement would be appropriate as to where his forward loyalties and intentions sit, notwithstanding all the good work and investment provided to date, there are lots of questions being asked amongst the fan base around this matter, which is frankly embarrassing for the club until the subject is put to rest.

After a season that promised so much its very deflating to end up in the plate comp, in particular noting some of the decisions and the lack of direction around the above.

7 minutes ago, Eternal Rover said:

1. The half back scenario, with reference to our dual reg partner club, surely given our predicament, key discussions should have taken place about releasing Jordan Lilley to us rather than loaning him to Bradford. Even if Wildie was allowed to play yesterday, we have no cover in the halves as was plain for all to see given the limitations in our execution yesterday, despite the notable effort of the players. Given the so called relationship between the two clubs, it beggars belief the Lilley wasn't made available to us in the first instance as a contingency measure for us.

2. The Briscoe situation, the timing here is questionable in that we've released him to Leeds before we've secured our own position, again with disastrous effects. I can only assume we are cash strapped and we desperately needed whatever Leeds offered for the privilege.

3. Squad strengthening, as other teams have demonstrated under the current format, adding quality to the squad is a given towards the back end of the season if you want to hold your ground and compete more, the fact that we have not added anyone of note again leads me to think that we are cash strapped, to a degree that most supporters are not being made aware of.

4. Given that MC is also supposedly heavily linked with YCK, I think a full club statement would be appropriate as to where his forward loyalties and intentions sit, notwithstanding all the good work and investment provided to date, there are lots of questions being asked amongst the fan base around this matter, which is frankly embarrassing for the club until the subject is put to rest.

After a season that promised so much its very deflating to end up in the plate comp, in particular noting some of the decisions and the lack of direction around the above.

I agree completely, some very strange and damaging decisions have been made towards the end of the season and it’s cost us big time.

15 minutes ago, Eternal Rover said:

Agree 100%

Something is going off behind the scenes.  If we're strapped for cash, then something is very wrong.  We keep being told that the business has never been stronger.

Very worried about the future.  Club seems rudderless and has made some very bizarre decisions in the past couple of months.

One thing is absolutely certain, the playing budget will be £200k or so short next year and I can't see season tickets flying off the shelves either.

We could do with hearing from Campbell and/or Longo

1 hour ago, The Blues Ox said:

Its hard to say because if either picked up injury then we had money spare to go out and sign a replacement but failing that we have JWH and Grix who could both slot in there as they have done during games when Murrell or Johnston have been rested.

There is a world of difference between playing makeshift half backs against teams from the bottom 6 and against the top 6, as we have found out only too plainly in recent weeks; can you tell me the games against top 6 opposition where both of your starting halves didn't play? At this level, half backs make the difference between evenly-matched teams. Don't get me wrong, Halifax have had a terrific season and deserve their top 4 place, but luck with injuries at those key positions has played a big part.

As for having money spare to go out and sign replacements, who would you have signed? Even SL clubs have struggled to find quality replacement half backs this year.

59 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

Agree 100%

Something is going off behind the scenes.  If we're strapped for cash, then something is very wrong.  We keep being told that the business has never been stronger.

Very worried about the future.  Club seems rudderless and has made some very bizarre decisions in the past couple of months.

One thing is absolutely certain, the playing budget will be £200k or so short next year and I can't see season tickets flying off the shelves either.

We could do with hearing from Campbell and/or Longo

Slate Ian Harman on FB and the Campbell's are on like a shot! Not a thing about the Briscoe fiasco! 

14 minutes ago, wasginger said:

For what it's worth next season could be a point of no return for a number of clubs if S/L get their way.

So very true this game is dieing a slow death because of self interest and greed! 

6 hours ago, Eternal Rover said:

100% agree. Barely believable after such a great first half of the season that we find ourselves in the position we're in now, and it seems that our situation is utterly self-inflicted. Can't blame the injuries either given the time we've had to find reinforcements and steady the ship. I've no idea who's been making the recruitment decisions this season but I'd like to be a fly on the wall when they have their next performance review.

Massive congratulations to Halifax too - I fully expect them to finish the job next week. They've won the games they've needed to win and fully deserve their top four finish. Perhaps we should have pinched Marshall instead of Duffy? Or maybe just kept hold of Sharpy......

5 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

There is a world of difference between playing makeshift half backs against teams from the bottom 6 and against the top 6, as we have found out only too plainly in recent weeks; can you tell me the games against top 6 opposition where both of your starting halves didn't play? At this level, half backs make the difference between evenly-matched teams. Don't get me wrong, Halifax have had a terrific season and deserve their top 4 place, but luck with injuries at those key positions has played a big part.

As for having money spare to go out and sign replacements, who would you have signed? Even SL clubs have struggled to find quality replacement half backs this year.

We get "lucky" nearly every year. 

8 hours ago, Adam B said:

100% agree. Barely believable after such a great first half of the season that we find ourselves in the position we're in now, and it seems that our situation is utterly self-inflicted. Can't blame the injuries either given the time we've had to find reinforcements and steady the ship. I've no idea who's been making the recruitment decisions this season but I'd like to be a fly on the wall when they have their next performance review.

Massive congratulations to Halifax too - I fully expect them to finish the job next week. They've won the games they've needed to win and fully deserve their top four finish. Perhaps we should have pinched Marshall instead of Duffy? Or maybe just kept hold of Sharpy......

Agreed apart from the Fax bit.  They were out of it and yet again have relied on others slipping up and had the good fortune to have a full squad to pick from (have we ever?) in those games that mattered.

Now even our favourite Fax troll can't disagree because in the past he has been on here saying we would have sailed into the top 4 with Riddy -and surely that would have been at their expense.

I always think that points difference gives a fair reflection as to how well a team has performed over the season and Fax aren't on the same page in that respect.

23 minutes ago, RobLambert said:

Agreed apart from the Fax bit.  They were out of it and yet again have relied on others slipping up and had the good fortune to have a full squad to pick from (have we ever?) in those games that mattered.

Now even our favourite Fax troll can't disagree because in the past he has been on here saying we would have sailed into the top 4 with Riddy -and surely that would have been at their expense.

I always think that points difference gives a fair reflection as to how well a team has performed over the season and Fax aren't on the same page in that respect.

Having said that in all fairness  Fax have won 2 out of 3 against us that's why they are in and we aren't. 

Fax have had a decent season, id rather them be in the top 4 than the likes of Leigh, it was always going to be a difficult season and we’ve had some hard luck with injuries but individual errors cost us the game on Sunday, if it was one of the Leeds lads or a loanee, there would have been hell on....overall the team gave  their all, our forwards were immense...good luck to em!!

1 hour ago, RobLambert said:

Relied on others slipping up in what way? We have beat who we needed to beat, its always been in our hands. Just because Fev have not won games when it matters this season should not be a bad reflection on Fax. Like I say we get "lucky" every year and I see our conditioner mentioned but maybe, just maybe, he does a lot better job in regards to fitness and conditioning than his counterparts. I mean every year we look as fit as teams around us and on some occasions fitter than certain teams and every year we seem to have good "luck" with injurys but scouting players and tailor made fitness programs will always make a difference.

As regards to points difference I prefer to using the age old system of how many points you finish on gives a fair reflection of the season and at the moment we are joint second. ;)

Archived