Recommended Posts

19 Players confirmed in 2019 squad (9 players from 2018 + 10 new players).

 

Martyn Ridyard, Luke Cooper, John Davies, Jason Walton, Scott Wheeldon, James Lockwood, Josh Hardcastle, Danny Maskill, Dakota Whylie.

 

James Harrison from Batley

Brad Day from Batley

Brett Delaney from Leeds.

Watson Boas from PNG

Ase Boas from PNG

Thompson Teteh from PNG

Morgan Punchard from Halifax

Kieden Hartley from Leeds

James Beckett from Castleford

Spencer Darley from Leeds

 

16 Players left

Brad Knowles - Sheffield, Shaun Robinson - Halifax, Luke Briscoe - Leeds Ian Hardman - ?, Misi Taulapapa - Newcastle, Richard Moore - Hunslet, Gareth Hock - Barrow, Tom Holmes - Huddersfield, Chris Ulugia - Injured, Frankie Mariano - Doncaster, Keal Carlile - Newcastle, Anthony Thackeray - Sheffield, Matty Wildie - Bradford, Connor Farrell - Bradford, Sam Brooks - ?, James Thornton - Injured

Edited by marklaspalmas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would definitely keep Riddy,Holmes ,Hock , and Walton.From the rest Maybe Coops .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me:-

From the Injureds:- Ulugia gone, keep the rest.

From the Near Retirements:- Moore and Misi to go, Hock I believe is signed up for 2019, Hardman keep pending suitable replacement.

From the Veterans:- Retain all 3.

From the Rest:- Retain them all.

The caveats to the above are whether players wish to stay or move on and also any financial restructuring the club may need to do.

Although I detest the dual reg system we may have to consider it again next season due to finances.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can’t see Holmes staying and in any case he’s surely a risk after such a serious injury. I’d only keep Hock of the nearly retired, surely it’s time for Hardman to retire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why is Hardman near retirement at 33, when all the other 33 year old are classed as veteran? 

Edited by gazza77

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, marklaspalmas said:

 

5 Players who have been seriously injured in 2018

Ulugia   Unless he can make an impression in the final 8 games, sadly I think we need to let him go.

Ridyard 32  Keep

Holmes  Keep - Injury may put SL clubs off

Farrell  Keep

Walton.  Keep

4 Players near retirement

Hardman 33  Keep - but we do need a new 1st choice fullback.  Be a good utility reserve.

Taulapapa 37 Love Missi, but I think he's done.  Could probably still do a job in League 1

Moore 38 Retire

Hock 35 Keep

3 veterans

Thackeray 33 Keep

Wheeldon 33 Keep

Lockwood 33 Keep

9 Rest of the squad

Robinson Unsure

Hardcastle Unsure

Wildie Keep

Carlile Keep

Cooper Keep

Knowles Unsure

Davies Keep

Brooks Gone

Thornton Unsure - Not seen him play

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, gazza77 said:

Why is Hardman near retirement at 33, when all the other 33 year old are classed as veteran? 

Full-backs need more pace than props and hardman's legs have gone. If he re-invented himself as a loose forward, I'd reconsider his category.

All credit to his amazing career, but Im looking at 2019.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Full-backs need more pace than props and hardman's legs have gone. If he re-invented himself as a loose forward, I'd reconsider his category.

All credit to his amazing career, but Im looking at 2019.

 

Problem is he's currently probably still our best choice for FB, certainly defensively.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Problem is he's currently probably still our best choice for FB, certainly defensively.

That’s why we need to sign another full back. Problem is, if Hardmans part of the squad for next year, he’ll always play 😉

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

That’s why we need to sign another full back. Problem is, if Hardmans part of the squad for next year, he’ll always play 😉

Not sure there are many about as good as him and, importantly, affordable

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Not sure there are many about as good as him and, importantly, affordable

He’s been fantastic for us over the years, but he’s far too slow for the position now. I’m sure he’ll be in the team next year though, unless Campbell does sell up, which is doubtful.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

That’s why we need to sign another full back. Problem is, if Hardmans part of the squad for next year, he’ll always play 😉

So tiresome reading this. I've lost count of the number of times the club has actually tried to replace Hardman at full back with someone else in recent years - Craven, Hitchcox, Thackeray for instance- and by the end of each season he has restablished himself as our best option at full back.

Yes, he has no pace any more and yes in an ideal world we would be able to sign someone better (as applies to other positions too). I just think he deserves better than the frequent insinuations that he only gets picked because of who he's married to.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Problem is he's currently probably still our best choice for FB, certainly defensively.

He certainly is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Not sure there are many about as good as him and, importantly, affordable

Im not sure there are either

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

So tiresome reading this. I've lost count of the number of times the club has actually tried to replace Hardman at full back with someone else in recent years - Craven, Hitchcox, Thackeray for instance- and by the end of each season he has restablished himself as our best option at full back.

Yes, he has no pace any more and yes in an ideal world we would be able to sign someone better (as applies to other positions too). I just think he deserves better than the frequent insinuations that he only gets picked because of who he's married to.

Absolutely. His record of beating off younger challengers to his position has been remarkable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure where we stand with Tom Holmes. Obviously the ACL will take time. I think he had just a one year contract and a SL club (Hudds) lined up before the injury. Where he is now with that could be different

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

...add in available too and the cupboard will be pretty bare!

Of course. We're talking about a considerable budget trim for Fev too.

I think we're allowed some speculation at this earlyish stage.

Stage 1: We debate who we want to keep and who to let go.

Stage 2: We look at the let-go list and try to find better for the same money

Stage 3: We hit a brick wall.

Ideally, the squad would be bigger. Then the call for a reserve team would come, despite there being no league for them to play in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Of course. We're talking about a considerable budget trim for Fev too.

I think we're allowed some speculation at this earlyish stage.

Stage 1: We debate who we want to keep and who to let go.

Stage 2: We look at the let-go list and try to find better for the same money

Stage 3: We hit a brick wall.

Ideally, the squad would be bigger. Then the call for a reserve team would come, despite there being no league for them to play in.

Whilst there's nothing intrinsically wrong with speculating, unless someone also suggests a (in their opinion) better replacement, these threads very quickly become not worth reading (see eg some of the comments on Hardman above). And, given our budget is almost certainly going to be less next season, that player being available becomes very important as we're unlikely to splashing out any transfer fees.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

So tiresome reading this. I've lost count of the number of times the club has actually tried to replace Hardman at full back with someone else in recent years - Craven, Hitchcox, Thackeray for instance- and by the end of each season he has restablished himself as our best option at full back.

Yes, he has no pace any more and yes in an ideal world we would be able to sign someone better (as applies to other positions too). I just think he deserves better than the frequent insinuations that he only gets picked because of who he's married to.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I too believe that Hardman has had his day and for me, it doesn’t matter how he plays, he gets picked, we have had the option in the past of other squad members to play at full back.  Craven, Hitchcox, back in SL, Thackeray did his best,  but I’ve lost count how many tries Hardman has cost us this season and last, take Sunday as an example, but still he gets picked, no fire in his belly for me!! Just my opinion of course!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Whilst there's nothing intrinsically wrong with speculating, unless someone also suggests a (in their opinion) better replacement, these threads very quickly become not worth reading (see eg some of the comments on Hardman above). And, given our budget is almost certainly going to be less next season, that player being available becomes very important as we're unlikely to splashing out any transfer fees.

Yeah. Even at the best of times, fans forums tend to resemble disjointed incoherent drunken rambles, so true insight into the science of recruitment is a tad optimistic.

"Stick a fork in Misi, he's done", whilst understating the bloke's laudable contribution to our club, doesn't overstep the mark, and suggests we could look out of a younger up-and-coming centre or two.

Precise names are a whole lot harder, and tbh beyond my knowledge of UK RL in 2018 outside Featherstone Rovers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you have to go with what you can afford and it looks like there'll be a big drop in funding next season. we may not be able to keep all those we would like to keep;

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, marklaspalmas said:

Yeah. Even at the best of times, fans forums tend to resemble disjointed incoherent drunken rambles, so true insight into the science of recruitment is a tad optimistic.

"Stick a fork in Misi, he's done", whilst understating the bloke's laudable contribution to our club, doesn't overstep the mark, and suggests we could look out of a younger up-and-coming centre or two.

Precise names are a whole lot harder, and tbh beyond my knowledge of UK RL in 2018 outside Featherstone Rovers.

(Virtually) Every club in the championship is looking for those sort of players in key positions (centres, props, half backs.....). The fact that no one appears to be signing any suggests that there aren't any around. I'm not sure I've seen many players at other clubs (top 4 sides excepted, who we probably would struggle to afford next year anyway) this season who I've thought 'I wish he was playing for us'. For example, I keep reading that Guzdek at Dewsbury is a class (at this level) FB, but I've yet to see anything when we've played Dewsbury to convince me that he would improve us over IH!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Auntie Ruth said:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I too believe that Hardman has had his day and for me, it doesn’t matter how he plays, he gets picked, we have had the option in the past of other squad members to play at full back.  Craven, Hitchcox, back in SL, Thackeray did his best,  but I’ve lost count how many tries Hardman has cost us this season and last, take Sunday as an example, but still he gets picked, no fire in his belly for me!! Just my opinion of course!!

I have no problem with people being critical of him or thinking we could do better, just the suggestion that he only gets picked because of his family relationships. There are plenty of fans who can see that he has weaknesses but still see him as the best option on our books.

That said, the "no fire in his belly" comment is one of the most ridiculous things I've read on this forum. Just my opinion of course!!!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally given the reduction in funding, we’ve got to be looking at a squad of younger hungry players with a handful of experience players. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


League Express Yearbook 2018/19 - Order Now


Rugby League World - Nov 2018

Rugby League World - Nov 2018



League Express - Online Now

League Express - Every Monday