Sign in to follow this  
graham fisher

Derek Beaumont

Well it looks like Mr Beaumont as pulled the plug on Leigh,he’s going end of season before if he can sell the club. Could be some players leaving this week.

Agreed, looks like quite a queue forming.

When we had the fan's forum a few weeks back, big Mark told us all what they were paying their player's. If they didn't reach the top 4 (which I don't think they will) it was all going to go belly up. 

Long live the financially literate chairman. 

its not just leigh who ever don't make the top four will be in trouble.Led to believe Fax not in a great position.

I'm sure both HW clubs will give a wave to Fev & Leigh as they follow Bradford... who says boom and bust is gone for good 🤔

• Haha 2

Not only is toronto and toulouse slowly but surely going to kill off the dewsbury and batley' of this world,

but the likes of leigh are halted in their tracks even with a huge parachute payment.

i wonder if super dooper league will welcome them in with open arms.

55 minutes ago, silcoates said:

Not only is toronto and toulouse slowly but surely going to kill off the dewsbury and batley' of this world,

but the likes of leigh are halted in their tracks even with a huge parachute payment.

i wonder if super dooper league will welcome them in with open arms.

It takes quite a stretch of the imagination to blame this on Toronto and Toulouse.

• Like 5

Leigh Centurions owner Derek Beaumont has issued the following statement:

It was with a heavy heart and tear in my eye that the realisation sunk in that we would not make the Qualifiers. I have said publicly on numerous occasion and privately to the group that my position as owner of the Club would become untenable should that happen.

The Club will receive circa £200k in 2019 from £1.25m this year and circa £1.7m in 2017 and that is a drop too far to sustain the Club in its current form. To that end I must act in the best interests of the Club’s ability to survive going forward and in the short term to fulfil this season’s fixtures and also to reduce its commitments to make it more attractive to any party that may express an interest in taking it forward.

This week is deadline week and therefore an ideal opportunity for players to be able to secure their futures elsewhere and at the same time reduce the Club’s obligations. I can confirm there will be a large number of exits and that may bring some opportunities for others but that will be ongoing this week right up until deadline.

I am committed to ensuring the Club reaches the end of the season and hope during that time a new investor or group of investors can be attracted to take the Club forward. I will be making a more detailed statement at the beginning of next week and until then will not be in a position to comment further. I apologise to our loyal fans and sponsors for this failing which ultimately has to rest with me.

I will give the bloke credit for his honesty but it sets up another thread, viz. ambition - do you live within your means and barely ripple the surface of ambition or try and spend a la Beaumont (and others before him) to get to the so called promised land? I remember in football Coventry City were regarded as the hippopotamus of the first division, with eyes and ears above water but that’s about all - in 40 odd years in the top flight they did nowt till 87 and an FA cup.  Did their fans give hell all those decades? In our own sport we only seem to win something important every 30 years or so (1912, 1942, 1973, 2000) but do I moan about our lack of ambition? (Ask me in 2032!) At least we have a club, dare I say internationally known in some areas (including now a bit of Canada) and despite the lean times still a source of community pride - as the Guardian article hinted at. Yes we all want to win something good but the plain truth is that only £ will deliver nowadays- though I see the odd moment of wonder where amazing things can happen- some of you may remember Blackpool Borough getting to the John Player Final in 76 I think - even by the part time standards of the day it was a big surprise so miracles can happen. I suppose us old uns have the patience to wait 30 years for our turn again!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Leigh Centurions owner Derek Beaumont has issued the following statement:

It was with a heavy heart and tear in my eye that the realisation sunk in that we would not make the Qualifiers. I have said publicly on numerous occasion and privately to the group that my position as owner of the Club would become untenable should that happen.

The Club will receive circa £200k in 2019 from £1.25m this year and circa £1.7m in 2017 and that is a drop too far to sustain the Club in its current form. To that end I must act in the best interests of the Club’s ability to survive going forward and in the short term to fulfil this season’s fixtures and also to reduce its commitments to make it more attractive to any party that may express an interest in taking it forward.

This week is deadline week and therefore an ideal opportunity for players to be able to secure their futures elsewhere and at the same time reduce the Club’s obligations. I can confirm there will be a large number of exits and that may bring some opportunities for others but that will be ongoing this week right up until deadline.

I am committed to ensuring the Club reaches the end of the season and hope during that time a new investor or group of investors can be attracted to take the Club forward. I will be making a more detailed statement at the beginning of next week and until then will not be in a position to comment further. I apologise to our loyal fans and sponsors for this failing which ultimately has to rest with me.

Oh goody goody - us and the dogs will be queuing up to take on the contracts of the players in question.  :yahoo:

10 minutes ago, Reverend Ram said:

I will give the bloke credit for his honesty but it sets up another thread, viz. ambition - do you live within your means and barely ripple the surface of ambition or try and spend a la Beaumont (and others before him) to get to the so called promised land? I remember in football Coventry City were regarded as the hippopotamus of the first division, with eyes and ears above water but that’s about all - in 40 odd years in the top flight they did nowt till 87 and an FA cup.  Did their fans give hell all those decades? In our own sport we only seem to win something important every 30 years or so (1912, 1942, 1973, 2000) but do I moan about our lack of ambition? (Ask me in 2032!) At least we have a club, dare I say internationally known in some areas (including now a bit of Canada) and despite the lean times still a source of community pride - as the Guardian article hinted at. Yes we all want to win something good but the plain truth is that only £ will deliver nowadays- though I see the odd moment of wonder where amazing things can happen- some of you may remember Blackpool Borough getting to the John Player Final in 76 I think - even by the part time standards of the day it was a big surprise so miracles can happen. I suppose us old uns have the patience to wait 30 years for our turn again!

Fair point RR and I would agree with your sentiment. I do remember being with those other fans when we celebrated winning the Championship in 2000 whilst thinking to myself "I wonder if anything might be amiss?".

As far as Beaumont is concerned at least it is his own money that he has been playing fast and loose with. He gives every impression of intending to ensure that all of his commitments are fully discharged before departing the scene.

Edited by Blind side johnny

2 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Fair point RR and I would agree with your sentiment. I do remember being with those other fans when we celebrated winning the Championship in 2000 whilst thinking to myself "I wonder if anything might be amiss?".

As far as Beaumont is concerned at least it is his own money that he has been playing fast and loose with. He gives every impression of intending to ensure that all of his commitments are fully discharged before departing the scene.

Yes, he does appear to be attempting to actually stop the brown smelly stuff hitting the whirly thing before it's too late. I wonder how he might feel though come around 4.30pm on Sunday should Leigh have lost, after putting out a severely weakened team, and other results not gone to 'form'?

3 hours ago, Piggy's mate said:

I'm sure both HW clubs will give a wave to Fev & Leigh as they follow Bradford... who says boom and bust is gone for good 🤔

Fev have been going bust since 2009. All we hear from some Batley fans is ridiculing their Chairman for not having ambition regarding players and Coaches. You can't have your cake and eat it😊😊😊

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Whatever ambition is defined as surely a players ambition is to play for a team that can guarantee to pay their contracted wage ..... Dewsbury and Batley are two such clubs!!  .... ambition could also be defined as sustainability .... Dewsbury and batley are two such clubs!!  ... is ambition really mortgaging the future .... or is that gambling!!  ...Dewsbury and Batley are not that type of club!! 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, the old nine ole said:

Whatever ambition is defined as surely a players ambition is to play for a team that can guarantee to pay their contracted wage ..... Dewsbury and Batley are two such clubs!!  .... ambition could also be defined as sustainability .... Dewsbury and batley are two such clubs!!  ... is ambition really mortgaging the future .... or is that gambling!!  ...Dewsbury and Batley are not that type of club!! 

2001, cough, cough!!

2 hours ago, Reverend Ram said:

... I see the odd moment of wonder where amazing things can happen- some of you may remember Blackpool Borough getting to the John Player Final in 76 I think - even by the part time standards of the day it was a big surprise so miracles can happen. 

Here it is,the whole match on Youtube. 1977.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, the old nine ole said:

I'd guess most players ambition (in a short career in a tough game) is to maximise earning potential and maximise chances of sporting success - and leave it to the club to guarantee wages. If the player gets an ambitious and well managed club and a bit of luck they hopefully find themselves in a virtuous cycle of reward - With poor management, judgement or luck they find themselves in a situation like with Bradford and Leigh ...maybe Fev .....maybe Toronto in a couple of years. It has happened in the past but perhaps the difference with the current structure is that more clubs want to take greater risks to back their own ambition - and not all can succeed with consequences for the clubs and players. I'm personnaly not keen on Leigh as a club - but take little satisafaction in them stretching themselves and getting it wrong. On a slightly different note I am disappointed that Leigh's fire sale of players may now have a distorting impact on the middle 8's.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

It takes quite a stretch of the imagination to blame this on Toronto and Toulouse.

Not at all.As i have said before who is going to buy season tickets and come to matches knowing before hand they are walk overs

Toronto is more or less a british super league team.

3 hours ago, XIII Ram said:

I'd guess most players ambition (in a short career in a tough game) is to maximise earning potential and maximise chances of sporting success - and leave it to the club to guarantee wages. If the player gets an ambitious and well managed club and a bit of luck they hopefully find themselves in a virtuous cycle of reward - With poor management, judgement or luck they find themselves in a situation like with Bradford and Leigh ...maybe Fev .....maybe Toronto in a couple of years. It has happened in the past but perhaps the difference with the current structure is that more clubs want to take greater risks to back their own ambition - and not all can succeed with consequences for the clubs and players. I'm personnaly not keen on Leigh as a club - but take little satisafaction in them stretching themselves and getting it wrong. On a slightly different note I am disappointed that Leigh's fire sale of players may now have a distorting impact on the middle 8's.

I agree there. We've played Leigh twice previously and lost quite heavily both times.  The last time was only a fortnight ago. I wouldn't mind playing them a fortnight from now.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

4 hours ago, silcoates said:

Not at all.As i have said before who is going to buy season tickets and come to matches knowing before hand they are walk overs

Toronto is more or less a british super league team.

I imagine that the Leigh fans were quite hopeful of getting results against these two clubs and certainly wouldn't have held back on buying season tickets. Why does their existence stop Leigh in their tracks, as you claim?

It was a reasonable bet on Beaumont's part the Leigh would make the middle 8s. Only a disastrous start has seen them fall short by a whisker. No fan of his style, but he has put a lot of money and time into his club, it's not worked out, but can't fault him for that. He's done the right thing by allowing players to go, the only negative being the impact on the Middle 8s of these players moving.

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

I imagine that the Leigh fans were quite hopeful of getting results against these two clubs and certainly wouldn't have held back on buying season tickets. Why does their existence stop Leigh in their tracks, as you claim?

They would be in the qualifiers with good chance of going into sl league and not just wasted half a million.

The S T issue is to do with clubs like Dews and Bat.

If their was a level playing field with plenty of brass to go round i'd invite all and sundry.

19 hours ago, Phil Loxton said:

Fev have been going bust since 2009. All we hear from some Batley fans is ridiculing their Chairman for not having ambition regarding players and Coaches. You can't have your cake and eat it😊😊😊

To be fair we all need to adopt fevs attitude .Assembly a good squad that's good but not big enough to compete in the league then top up with super league players.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, EQUALIZER said:

To be fair we all need to adopt fevs attitude .Assembly a good squad that's good but not big enough to compete in the league then top up with super league players.

Oh, and make sure that 2000+ local fans turn up for every home match.

• Like 3