Sign in to follow this  
Blind side johnny

Eights

So the fat lady has now started to warble and we can think about our fortunes in the eights. We will be facing Barrow, Swinton and Leigh at home, with Featherstone, Batley, Sheffield and Rochdale entertaining us at their grounds.

Leigh and Featherstone have both already qualified for the Shield final so the rest of us are playing to avoid relegation, or going through the motions. Given that the top two won't be greatly motivated there is room for complacency and some unexpected results. I still believe however that 17 points should ensure safety, but 18 would be better. If we win two more games that will leave Swinton or Rochdale needing five wins to overtake us. the timing of these fixtures, which I believe are due out next Wednesday, will be crucial.

I expect us to survive reasonably comfortably in the end whilst playing out these games in front of some of the lowest attendances for a long while. (And the sunshine's gone away pfft.)

• Like 2

Agree BSJ. 17 points will be more than enough. Swinton and Rochdale will be hard pushed to get the 3 wins required to overall us now. We are only 5 in front of them but in reality that will look like a massive gap for both those teams. I will be intertested to see who comes up automatically from League 1. York currently about 70 points adrift in points diff but still quite a few games to play. 

If the current Championship income distribution is retained, it matters a lot where we finish. The good news is two of the best supported clubs have missed the middle 8s and likely that another two well supported clubs will be promoted.

2 hours ago, Wakefield Ram said:

If the current Championship income distribution is retained, it matters a lot where we finish. The good news is two of the best supported clubs have missed the middle 8s and likely that another two well supported clubs will be promoted.

The distribution is as described at the start of the season as far as I know. Any changes that might come about will be to the money that is distributed according to what clubs achieve next year. The most significant change would occur if they get rid of the eights and replace that with one up, one down; whether that will happen is anybody's guess.

So, as you say, each place in the table can be worth about £25k in next year's distribution.

It is also regrettable that we didn't get just one more point which would have earned us an extra home game and the income that creates, no matter how little. Having said that, given the costs of running the ground on match days, we might actually be avoiding more losses by playing away if the attendances are as small as some people are fearing. Funny old game, isn't it?

• Like 4

Looking at the fixtures it would have been difficult to ask for better timings. Swinton at home to begin with should give as a real chance of getting off to a good start, and finishing with Leigh at home could well find us up against a cruising team.

It is all down to us now - we need to get behind the team home and away as much as we can.

• Like 1

Let's hope that last game against Leigh we can get a decent crowd and hopefully the Rams safe from relegation.

But we have lost to  all seven teams  at least once this season.Remember Rochdale at home.

Next season it will be even harder to stay in the league with possibly York and Bradford in the champ.

Moore has may be had unfair criticism who knows what's going on behind the scenes. 

So B...DY concentrate on that Swinton match Dews RLFC. 

From memory the eights competition hasn't changed the standings at the end of the normal season and I cannot see either Swinton (my team) or Rochdale winning 5 out of the remaining 7 matches, when neither team has won 5 all season...…….but those of us staring Championship1 in the face can hope for survival, but realistically you and all the teams above Swinton and Rochdale will still be in the Championship next season...…...would be nice to see Swinton win at your place though :)

5 hours ago, wayne_r said:

From memory the eights competition hasn't changed the standings at the end of the normal season and I cannot see either Swinton (my team) or Rochdale winning 5 out of the remaining 7 matches, when neither team has won 5 all season...…….but those of us staring Championship1 in the face can hope for survival, but realistically you and all the teams above Swinton and Rochdale will still be in the Championship next season...…...would be nice to see Swinton win at your place though :)

Looking at the fixtures Rochdale will be down after the 3rd round game and Swinton down after the 4th round games.. Swinton only hope is to beat us in the first game.. If you don't.. The fat lady will be clearing her throat.. You've a decent record at ours over the last few years.. This is something we have to change. 

• Like 1