Sign in to follow this  
red square

Raiders v Broncos

Recommended Posts

No blame can be attached to the officials after that display. Nor can the excuse of new players or players out of position justify that performance. I am not doubting the effort just the manner of play.

Fair play to London who put us to the sword.

An early indication of the dire afternoon for Barrow was indicated by Londons' first soft try when our defence melted away. We then went up the other end and had 3 sets of tackles and looked clueless and disorganised. There then followed two other shocking lapses in defence as the Broncos racked up the next 2 tries. The body language of the Raiders players was worrying even at this stage. 

No one seemed to be trying to lift the spirits of the team as they stood behind the posts - where were the leaders?

We were, to say the least, flat and predictable in attack and often pedestrian in moving the ball especially from the acting half-back - this no doubt contributed to the number of hurried kicks and kicks being charged down. Once London realised they could simply get amongst us and nullify our attack we had nothing to offer. Where was plan B? 

Parata was wasted defending out wide. It may be the fashion for the scrum-half to defend there but in following that fashion we moved one of our best middle defenders from where he is very effective.

I'll always support the Raiders and don't want to be overcritical but if we continue to play in that manner then future prospects are not promising. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think nail on the head doesn't even begin to say how right you are. The worrying thing is how many on the popular side said they were not coming to watch this rubbish again. For me, it seemed everyone today, apart from Dally, has lost their enthusiasm. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah we did seem very flat .... I think a little defeatism has crept into the players mindset ...hope I'm wrong!!

 

Fortress Craven Park has left the drawbridge down

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There were far too many missed/one handed tackles. No way could Ben Thaler be blamed for the lack of invention; poor tackling; lack of ideas; no backing up and no leadership. There can be no excuse for that display surely we have to start to look at the the coaching/ gameplan the team have been given.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, steve75 said:

There were far too many missed/one handed tackles. No way could Ben Thaler be blamed for the lack of invention; poor tackling; lack of ideas; no backing up and no leadership. There can be no excuse for that display surely we have to start to look at the the coaching/ gameplan the team have been given.

And so it begins! Let's crucify the Coach! Yet the plan was to stay up this year. That is still very much achievable. I agree effort was questionable today. If we don't beat Rochdale and Swinton at home in the 8s....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That was beyond terrible today nobody can deny it. To those saying they won’t be back all I can say is that next time won’t be as bad, it can’t be. Can it? 

Thats all all I got sorry 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, red square said:

No blame can be attached to the officials after that display

Not according to what seemed like 90% of the grandstand 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I completely agree boat builder. Unfortunately I couldn't go today but it amazes me that after all the performances we have given this season the team and coaches have started to get slated. I understand that a lot of the tackling was weak but also Broncos were a very good and strong side.  I think most supporters will be satisfied if we avoid relegation and hopefully the three home games we have should enable this. Supporters often do say they will not watch that rubbish again after a big defeat but also remember the good games and performances.

The gate again topped 1,000 and the average home gate is about 1,200 which is higher than most pro clubs below Super League.

The score today was exactly the same as the last home game.

Edited by Michael Ashton
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think people are being far too critical and completely ignoring what side we had out on the field. We came up against a full time side with a vast amount of SL experience who needed to win today to guarantee a top 4 side. We could have had Craig Bellamy coaching our side today and we wouldn't have won. 

Our squad is depleted. We have Jono Smith, Lewis Charnock, Shane Toal, Dan Toal, Liam Harrison, Declan Hulme, Andy Litherland, Ryan Fieldhouse, Jarrad Stack, Brett Carter, Tom Walker, Luke Cresswell and Danny Morrow unavailable. 

2 Reasons why we lost:

London have a much better side - mainly due to how inbalanced the league funding is. 

We have loads of injuries unlike London - They're full time so have more time to properly recover. If a London player gets a knock they don't have to get up for work 7am Monday to go to work. 

People stating that they won't attend another game off the back of the teams performance have no idea about rugby league. We have 3 home games against Swinton Rochdale and Batley to come in the middle 8s (based on last year's fixtures) which we have picked 5 points from this year. If we get 4 out of those games it's almost mathetmically impossible for us to go down. A few players to come back in should help the squad massively. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In no way will I not be at the upcoming home games....a few faces back and I'm sure we can stay up which was the aim this season....I wouldn't call for crest as head either he's doing a great job under the circumstances

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, boat builder said:

And so it begins! Let's crucify the Coach! Yet the plan was to stay up this year. That is still very much achievable. I agree effort was questionable today. If we don't beat Rochdale and Swinton at home in the 8s....

I wasn't crucifying the coach - if the coach doesn't coach them and give them the gameplan who does? Please tell me!

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Get real fellas, the Broncos will beat a few sides in the middle 8s on that showing. They were superb from the 10th minute today. Their players were better than ours, end of.

Real fans stick with a team through the good times and the bad. The club and players need your support at this crucial time, you know that. "I'm not watching this anymore", spitting your dummy out, solves nothing, grow up the lot of yer.

It's your team remember that.

I expect passionate post back please....

 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bighorribleyorkshireman said:

Get real fellas, the Broncos will beat a few sides in the middle 8s on that showing. They were superb from the 10th minute today. Their players were better than ours, end of.

Real fans stick with a team through the good times and the bad. The club and players need your support at this crucial time, you know that. "I'm not watching this anymore", spitting your dummy out, solves nothing, grow up the lot of yer.

It's your team remember that.

I expect passionate post back please....

 

 

I think a lot of peoples frustration is with the system of funding the RFL have decreed ... venting off is natural when your team gets hammered at home by other teams in supposedly the same league. I will be there win lose or draw cheering the guys on. Like I said above get some of our 1st choice players back for the 8's and im sure we will win what we need to and stay up ..... its in our hands now so if we don't we don't deserve to

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been proud of our boys all season. They've given their all against the big proffesional sides and played well against the other Rugby League teams in our league but as the season has ground on the injuries have taken their tole. Players who are missing tackles are doing so because they are not 100% fit but have stepped up to play.

The crowds have been good this year and, if we survive, will be better next year if Toulouse, Toronto or London go up.

If we go down it will not be for lack of effort - we know the bench mark and are just about there without any DR players.

Come on Barrow

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, RSN said:

Think people are being far too critical and completely ignoring what side we had out on the field. We came up against a full time side with a vast amount of SL experience who needed to win today to guarantee a top 4 side. We could have had Craig Bellamy coaching our side today and we wouldn't have won. 

Our squad is depleted. We have Jono Smith, Lewis Charnock, Shane Toal, Dan Toal, Liam Harrison, Declan Hulme, Andy Litherland, Ryan Fieldhouse, Jarrad Stack, Brett Carter, Tom Walker, Luke Cresswell and Danny Morrow unavailable. 

2 Reasons why we lost:

London have a much better side - mainly due to how inbalanced the league funding is. 

We have loads of injuries unlike London - They're full time so have more time to properly recover. If a London player gets a knock they don't have to get up for work 7am Monday to go to work. 

People stating that they won't attend another game off the back of the teams performance have no idea about rugby league. We have 3 home games against Swinton Rochdale and Batley to come in the middle 8s (based on last year's fixtures) which we have picked 5 points from this year. If we get 4 out of those games it's almost mathetmically impossible for us to go down. A few players to come back in should help the squad massively. 

After getting over yesterday, I think you've said it all RSN. Great post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/29/2018 at 6:53 PM, red square said:

No blame can be attached to the officials after that display. Nor can the excuse of new players or players out of position justify that performance. I am not doubting the effort just the manner of play.

Fair play to London who put us to the sword.

An early indication of the dire afternoon for Barrow was indicated by Londons' first soft try when our defence melted away. We then went up the other end and had 3 sets of tackles and looked clueless and disorganised. There then followed two other shocking lapses in defence as the Broncos racked up the next 2 tries. The body language of the Raiders players was worrying even at this stage. 

No one seemed to be trying to lift the spirits of the team as they stood behind the posts - where were the leaders?

We were, to say the least, flat and predictable in attack and often pedestrian in moving the ball especially from the acting half-back - this no doubt contributed to the number of hurried kicks and kicks being charged down. Once London realised they could simply get amongst us and nullify our attack we had nothing to offer. Where was plan B? 

Parata was wasted defending out wide. It may be the fashion for the scrum-half to defend there but in following that fashion we moved one of our best middle defenders from where he is very effective.

I'll always support the Raiders and don't want to be overcritical but if we continue to play in that manner then future prospects are not promising. 

This account reads pretty much how Dewsbury suffered in London. We were okay for most of the first half, then something went against us and they scored. We supporters could tell then that we were going to lose then and heads went down. Like you we became leaderless. 

It took us a long time after that to get back to winning ways, but as a club, as supporters, grit your teeth and I'm sure you will get over it. Look how well you did at our place. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/29/2018 at 8:28 PM, olray said:

72-6 at home is a disgrace . Time for a change . Buck stops with the coach 

Be careful what you wish for ......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Barrowno1 said:

Be careful what you wish for ......

So True.  

Absolute bo##ocks, to put it nicely.  

Find someone that eats sleeps and breathes rugby weather it’s Barrow, Dalton or any rugby league team /game, like Paul Crarey and you’ve cracked it.  

“Not a hope in hell “

That man gives  heart , soul , blood, sweat and I’m sure tears into everything he does for Barrow rugby league, and for very little in return.  

Ask any body who knows him or has worked with him, player , training colleague or just a friend. 

As soon as them players cross that white line there’s not much more he can do, even though he’d like to. 

No other local coach  is good enough, has the pull, or friends in the game that he has. 

No top coach from away will travel here and give what he gives, even for stupid MONEY, and we all know that is the crux of the problem. 

I would say you don’t know him or your after a passionate answer. 

 

Well there you go.  

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Ellie10 said:

So True.  

Absolute bo##ocks, to put it nicely.  

Find someone that eats sleeps and breathes rugby weather it’s Barrow, Dalton or any rugby league team /game, like Paul Crarey and you’ve cracked it.  

“Not a hope in hell “

That man gives  heart , soul , blood, sweat and I’m sure tears into everything he does for Barrow rugby league, and for very little in return.  

Ask any body who knows him or has worked with him, player , training colleague or just a friend. 

As soon as them players cross that white line there’s not much more he can do, even though he’d like to. 

No other local coach  is good enough, has the pull, or friends in the game that he has. 

No top coach from away will travel here and give what he gives, even for stupid MONEY, and we all know that is the crux of the problem. 

I would say you don’t know him or your after a passionate answer. 

 

Well there you go.  

Well said, not only is he the 1st team coach, he also has a big input into the u16s, u19s and does sessions for kids  aged 11 - 15, all after a days graft, he also advises any local coach that asks him for his opinion/help, all this extra work for no extra payment and just for the future of Barrow raiders and the local game in general.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


League Express - Online Now

League Express - Every Monday



Rugby League World - Sept 2018

Rugby League World - Sept 2018

Rugby League Books On Sale Here