Sign in to follow this  
Man of Kent

Women’s Challenge Cup Final

Again I wish to stress that womens' RL as with their participation in every other sport or activity is to be encouraged but I just wish to add something to my earlier comments about the amount of such support, either financially or otherwise, that is given to it in return for the benefits it might bring to the sport.

Last weekend Manchester United played Liverpool in the womens' football competition with the game given lots of pre-match publicity both on local TV news as well as via the BBC sport website, together with full match commentary on BBC radio.  It was billed as the top game of the weekend with plenty of focus on the rivalry between the two clubs ... yet drew 829 spectators. Therefore it appears that irrespective of how much media coverage is given to an event, people will still vote with their feet dependent upon how much they value the product. It also makes you wonder how many were actually in attendance at the weekend's other games which didn't get such pre-match hype.

Yes, in time such publicity might breed more interest in the game but so would similar media interest for amateur Rugby League where games can also attract equal numbers of supporters on the touchlines - and I have never known one of their league games to have had a full-match radio commentary on the BBC.

By all means give support to all facets of the game but surely it should be given for the right reasons and in proportion of its benefit to the overall good of the sport and not make it appear more relevant that what it is just to satisfy those who are just looking for ways to enhance their own politically-correct agenda.

Again, I am not against womens' RL in anyway but other aspects of the sport at a similar level are equally as important and deserve the same support.

21 hours ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Last weekend Manchester United played Liverpool in the womens' football competition with the game given lots of pre-match publicity both on local TV news as well as via the BBC sport website, together with full match commentary on BBC radio. 

If that's your definition of 'lots' then we'll have to assume you think there's an actual tidal wave of publicity for the Challenge Cup final on the BBC this week.

gingerjon .. Yes, it depends in which context "Lots" is referring to - I was comparing it to the pre-match publicity for any event of a similar quality. For major sporting events you would expect plenty of pre-match hype but the tv and internet coverage prior to the Manchester United v Liverpool womens' football game was far in excess given to any previous game of that standard.

A Manchester United v Liverpool reserve team game (mens) attracts far greater crowds than was at last weekend's womens' fixture yet that isn't given the equal amount of air-time by the media when it is played. So why give such coverage to something which is obviously not as popular to the general public or even the fans of the two clubs involved ?

Yes, I know the above is an example from another sport but my original point was in the same vein about the publicity being given to the 2019 womens' RL World Cup. By all means have such an event but let's not promote it as though it is something which is far better than the product actually is and when similar aspects of RL are not given such media support.

That isn't to say that womens' RL is not entertaining and I know it is a good thing to encourage more females to be attracted to RL, but surely the standard of their games has to be compared with those of a similar quality in the mens' game and not promoted in a better way just because they happen to be the best of their gender.