R L Winger

PANTHERS SACK ANTHONY GRIFFIN

The Penrith Panthers have sacked coach Anthony Griffin just four weeks out from the NRL finals.

It comes after the club conducted a mid-season review following the team’s form slump, however, they remain in fifth position and will push for a top four spot.

Griffin’s dismissal is understood to take effect immediately, despite the coach being contracted for the 2019 and 2020 seasons.

The club notified Griffin on Monday afternoon of their decision, with assistant Cameron Ciraldo set to lead the club as caretaker coach for the rest of the season.

Despite winning their last two games, the board ultimately made a call that Griffin was not the man to guide the club to it next premiership.

Edited by R L Winger

Suppose he was always at risk when his views and Gus's didn't line up - as has been reported..

• Like 1

I've been reading rumors for months that the coaching staff was in fact Gould + Ciraldo while Griffin was there to smile at the cameras. I don't know how truthful these reports/rumors were, but I'm not surprised one bit by the news of Griffin's dismissal.

• Like 1

I'm really shocked by this, especially by the timing. Interested to see how the squad reacts.

Panthers/Gould has released a statement which when I read it seemed to say Griffin wouldn't do what Gus Gould wanted often enough.

Who's going to take the job as coach at Penrith? Who else wants to be Gould's scapegoat/coach?

I'd hate to see what would happen if they were having a poor season,strange timing sacking a coach just a few weeks out from the finals.

3 hours ago, Graham said:

Panthers/Gould has released a statement which when I read it seemed to say Griffin wouldn't do what Gus Gould wanted often enough.

Who's going to take the job as coach at Penrith? Who else wants to be Gould's scapegoat/coach?

There’s a shock ... basically he wants to do everything it seems 

So Panthers/Gould have tabled a big offer to Tigers’ coach Ivan Cleary.

If he were to return to the lion’s den then maybe the big plus for Gus would be it would likely keep Nathan at the club.

I hope he sticks with Tigers.

Gould is a Egomaniac and Griffin refused to accept the way Gould wanted to do things. The timing is a strange one considering the Panthers are in the Top 5 and still in with a good chance of a Top 4 finish. I think they should have waited until the end of the season. 7 years now with Gould at the Panthers and he seems to want to do everything and stick his nose in to everything. I cant see that being beneficial for the Coaches or the Players.

I think Gould is in fear of losing Nathan Cleary and is going after Ivan Cleary to keep him. But It was Gould who sacked Ivan Cleary and I think Ivan should stay well away from Gould and the Panthers. Gould cant help sticking his nose in to the coaching scene at Penrith. 3 Coaches now sacked and what has Gould achieved and who questions his role at the Panthers? A Coach must be crazy to work under Gould considering his reputation and record. Gould wants to be boss and control everything. Gould should just appoint himself as boss.

• Like 1

If the Wests Tigers don't get Nathan Cleary, they are going to have a coach who's heart will not be in coaching the team.....In that case the smartest thing for the Tigers to do is let Ivan go to the Panthers and get into the market and sign yet another coach. The club has been nothing but a train wreck for years and I don't see it ever recovering unless the Magpies step totally in and take 100% control, changing the name to Western Suburbs Magpies and playing all home games out of ANZ Stadium Homebush smack in the middle of the Western Suburbs of Sydney, the Balmain Tigers should be their feeder team in the NSW Cup.

As for Penrith Panthers they were faced with losing Cleary Junior and knew the only way to stop it happening was to bring Cleary Senior back to the club as coach.....A wise move only time will tell....Gus Gould will do anything to get Penrith a premiership including destroying the club and it's reputation in the process to reach that goal. How much longer will it be before Gus's job it's self is on the line at the Panthers. My prediction is Gus is Gooooooooone at the Panthers, if Junior and Senior Cleary are not at the Penrith Panthers club together in 2019.

38782893_255438285288281_784154620434841600_n.jpg

Edited by R L Winger

Here is my conspiracy theory...

Gus is confident in the skills of his other upcoming half and resigned to the fact he will likely lose Nathan, so is using this as a means for the Tiers to pay overs for a 2019 Nathan Cleary transfer to the Tigers.

Tremendous spin by gus on his podcast . As ever I’m right , I know , I’m in charge ... he’s old school who needs to be in control( dont laugh ) and getting Ivan back has zero to do with Nathan , and he agonised over sacking him - for his own good . Bless...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, DavidM said:

Tremendous spin by gus on his podcast . As ever I’m right , I know , I’m in charge ... he’s old school who needs to be in control( dont laugh ) and getting Ivan back has zero to do with Nathan , and he agonised over sacking him - for his own good . Bless...

Yep, but it can only be classed as spin if it is semi legitimate right? He went from gaining back a little of my respect when he appeared on Full Credit To The Boys (RL podcast you should listen to), but the moment he has a camera in front of him, he has an obvious agenda to push.

6 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Yep, but it can only be classed as spin if it is semi legitimate right? He went from gaining back a little of my respect when he appeared on Full Credit To The Boys (RL podcast you should listen to), but the moment he has a camera in front of him, he has an obvious agenda to push.

Indeed and of course he has the platforms presented to him to do it 

Penrith now have to go to plan B after Cleary announces he is staying with the Tigers

• Like 1

Well done Ivan Cleary.

How refreshing it is to hear him talk about honouring his contract.

It seems that some people in the media had put two and two together and made five.

As it is Cleary Snr has said he'll honour his contract meaning he'll be at Tigers at least to the end of the 2020 season.

How about that Gus eh? Maybe you'll need plans C and D after you pitch Plan B to the next lucky person in your sights.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2018 at 1:53 PM, Sports Prophet said:

Barrett

Doesn't appear so:

Penrith have put an end to any possibility of Trent Barrett coaching the Panthers next season, strongly denying any interest in the Manly mentor.

With Manly failing to confirm the former NSW and Australian five-eighth’s future at the club beyond the end of this year, Barrett has been linked to a move to the Panthers to replace the sacked Anthony Griffin given his ties to the club and his manager Wayne Beavis’s close relationship to Penrith executive general manager Phil Gould.

However, Panthers chairman Dave O’Neill has categorically denied any interest in Barrett, or his Sea Eagles assistant John Cartwright for that matter, and insists they are not part of the club’s plans.

"Trent Barrett won’t be coaching the Panthers next year," O’Neill told NRL.com.

"We haven’t spoken to him, we haven’t discussed him internally in any of the conversations we’ve had around the head coaching position next year.

So that's a definite then... maybe ...