Sign in to follow this  

Congratulations Beverley, some great lads down there. Onwards and upwards. Great to see a local side doing well and actually taking the plunge into ncl

25 minutes ago, Hullfan said:

Congratulations Beverley, some great lads down there. Onwards and upwards. Great to see a local side doing well and actually taking the plunge into ncl

They've been fantastic from what i've seen/heard about them. Scott Taylor doing a great job. 

1 minute ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

They've been fantastic from what i've seen/heard about them. Scott Taylor doing a great job. 

Yeah I agree, a young team aswel. Great vibe around there home games, very well supported. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thepimp007 said:

Trevor Penrose will be a cornerstone of their pack. Not seen him for a few years but was very good

Interesting you say that, I never seen him in his prime. But heard loads of how good he was. Looked very overweight on Saturday though. Remember seeing him for ideal isberg getting absolutely flattened a couple of times in the Hull and district though. 

47 minutes ago, georgehadgingerhair said:

Heard he was approaching players from other clubs for next season. 

Who doesn't do that? They are not contracted at that level are they? I have been all over the North watching top class amateur RL this season and have watched a half dozen players at various clubs that all started out at my local club. My club are on a downer at the moment and the better players move on to stay at a better level sometimes. Loyalty is a rare thing these days.

• Like 2

Could do very well if they stay close to their community.Beverley RU have suffered from bring in a team of overseas players.The sort of town where rl should do well.Lots of other similar town in east/north Yorks that have ru clubs but not rl.

On 8/7/2018 at 3:38 PM, Celtic Rooster said:

Who doesn't do that? They are not contracted at that level are they? I have been all over the North watching top class amateur RL this season and have watched a half dozen players at various clubs that all started out at my local club. My club are on a downer at the moment and the better players move on to stay at a better level sometimes. Loyalty is a rare thing these days.

You're right about loyalty, a couple of years ago we raised the money for a lad to go on tour. He signed for a semi professional club on his return played as substitute for a couple of games and then joined one of our local rivals

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, Mr Smeaton said:

You're right about loyalty, a couple of years ago we raised the money for a lad to go on tour. He signed for a semi professional club on his return played as substitute for a couple of games and then joined one of our local rivals 

Yeah, I can think of two players over the years that we raised money for to go on BARLA tours and they signed for other clubs when they got back after speaking to other people while on tour. One of them signed for a club from a completely different town.

18 hours ago, Celtic Rooster said:

Yeah, I can think of two players over the years that we raised money for to go on BARLA tours and they signed for other clubs when they got back after speaking to other people while on tour. One of them signed for a club from a completely different town.

It's happened to us a number of times. I'm not sure that anything can be done about it.

Could we get players to sign a contract that says that they won't leave on their return, or if they do the club gets the money back? I'm not talking about fundraising either. As a club our policy is to pay 50% of their tour, then help with fundraising. It rarely costs the lads anything to go.

• Like 1

On the flip side one of our better players who had been with us all of his life moved to a premier division club for last season and started this season with them, but when he saw the trouble we were in recently he got a transfer back and has played the last 3 games for us knowing full well he was coming to a much weakened team. Several other players have come out of retirement as well recently. Great to see.

I don't know what can be done about it Beefy? It's an amateur game at the end of the day. I remember many years ago when we were in the NWCL premier division, one of our lads came back from a South Seas tour and signed for another local club but took 4 of his mates with him. We finished 4th that season but I am convinced that we would have been champions if those lads had stayed. The team they went to won the Lancashire cup that season.

• Like 1