Sign in to follow this  
RayCee

NZRL National Competition

The 2018 season is about to kick off on 11th August. For a summary of 2017 and links to years earlier, follow the link below:

https://rugbyl.blogspot.com/2018/02/nz-national-competition-2017-season.html

For the 2018 season, these are the top four regions (Premiership) playing a three round comp.

38612408_1969778343082318_4772558983481262080_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=66b4d4d39d6319f772771b1c881ff005&oe=5C133B75

The lower ranked regions (Championship) play in three divisions.

38683869_1969776843082468_1856001887115935744_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=eaa8b0d4a804ff295c27503d8bd127b8&oe=5BC704BB

Then it seems the best of the Championship plays the lowest of the Premiership to decide whether p/r takes place. It's not a huge competition but important. 

Edited by RayCee
  • Like 2

If the weather good Ill try and make this weeks game Wellington vs Taranaki its at 2pm on Saturday at Wise park in Wanuiomata, Wellington. The Game decides who wins the Central pool and can go on to qualify for promotion to the Premiership next year.

Wellington beat Taranaki 50 - 22 so they now play winners of Southern & Northern Zone to see who gets a promotion match to the NZRL premiership.

Edited by kiwis 13 6
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, kiwis 13 6 said:

Wellington beat Taranaki 50 - 22 so they now play winners of Southern & Northern Zone to see who gets a promotion match to the NZRL premiership.

Thanks for that. I have been remiss in not updating this topic.

Results for the first round of the premiership:

Counties-Manukau (South Auckland) 18 - 20 Canterbury Bulls (South Is)

Akarana Falcons (Auckland) 46 - 6 Waikato (Central North Is)

On 9/2/2018 at 12:28 PM, kiwis 13 6 said:

The winner of the Northern Zone played the Central Zone winner, with the Northern Swords victorious 16-14 against the Wellington Orcas.

Wellington host the Southern Zone winners Otago Whalers next week and the week after that, Otago host Northern. 

The winner from the three teams above play the 4th placed Premiership side on Oct 6th.

For a summary of the zone competition:

https://rugbyl.blogspot.com/2018/09/nz-national-comp-2018-zone-results.html

Edited by RayCee
  • Thanks 1

Northland  beat Wellington 16 -14. Wellington's hopes of promotion now rely on them beating Otago and the outcome of Otago Vs Northland game. Wellington need to follow Canterbury's lead in order to improve the status of the game in the Wellington region. Canterbury bulls players have pride in the province & return to represent the Bulls after playing overseas, Canterbury has increased playing numbers this year, Canterbury has a reasonable website that is regularly updated. Canterbury Bulls have a main sponsor Rockcote and individual jersey sponsors, As a result I believe Canterbury can provide players some financial incentive.

Edited by kiwis 13 6

At least Wellington lost by a small margin so hope there Frank.

The South Is seems well run generally. All regions are represented in this zonal system. The Aroraki team is the rural area between Christchurch and Dunedin, which I didn’t realise played RL. They did OK too.

Above there is a link in a previous post of mine where I have all the match results. I couldn’t find anywhere on the internet where all that info could be found in one place. Well now there is. I had to gather it from news sources bit by bit. I think it deserves some recognition as it is an important part of the RL scene in NZ.

• Like 1