Sign in to follow this  
Harry Stottle

Under 19's European Championships

On 8/9/2018 at 9:56 AM, Harry Stottle said:

Semi Finals for both the Championship and Shield event were played yesterday in Belgrade, anyone know the results?

Look on the international forum

• Like 1

The final has just started and so far it's good quality. French number 3 just gone in under the posts. Successful conversion 6-0

England full back goes over out wide, following a mistake by France. Touchline conversion hits the crossbar and bounces out. 6-4

Worth a watch this  - there was just a close up of the crowd and they seemed to be pretty enthusiastic. 

It's over now and 26-24 to France, despite the comeback.

• Like 1

England 24, France 26. The buffering was pretty bad but what I saw was of a good standard. Some hard tackling and running across the park. Well done to both teams. I wonder how the two French lads feel about missing a really big final to play against Wire yesterday.

1 minute ago, latchford albion said:

France win.  That was a great fight back by England though. If only France could be as competitive at senior level.

They probably would be if they were playing BARLA rather than a professional England team?

• Like 1

Just now, Walney said:

I wonder how the two French lads feel about missing a really big final to play against Wire yesterday.

They both said in the local paper that it was more important to them to get a professional contract than to play in the last game of the tournament, excited to be making their professional debut, that kind of thing.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, JonM said:

They probably would be if they were playing BARLA rather than a professional England team?

Yes true.  I hadn't looked at the make up of the teams.  It was very entertaining though and England nearly won it.

One French youngster to look out for is Avignon's Francois Dorce-Hantz, star forward for France u16s in their series win over England earlier in the year and called into the squad for this tournament having just turned 17.

• Like 1

Congratulations to France. Let's hope the latest young generation enjoy a broader pathway to the top flight than some of their predecessors.

With Toulouse growing as a force, and English clubs more likely to give French players a chance, the future could be brighter for French RL than it has been in a long time.

• Thanks 2

23 hours ago, JonM said:

With all respect to BARLA, France full team would be clear winners if they played. I don't see it being a close score at FT. 

59 minutes ago, Southerner80 said:

With all respect to BARLA, France full team would be clear winners if they played. I don't see it being a close score at FT. 

Sure, but the point here is that they beat an England u-19s team chosen from the "community" game rather than professional players from SL club academies (and well done to Leigh Miners who I think had 4 players in the squad). It's a good result, but it shouldn't mean people getting too excited about this feeding through to the full national team. I'd say Serbia beating Ireland is probably the more interesting result.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, JonM said:

Sure, but the point here is that they beat an England u-19s team chosen from the "community" game rather than professional players from SL club academies (and well done to Leigh Miners who I think had 4 players in the squad). It's a good result, but it shouldn't mean people getting too excited about this feeding through to the full national team. I'd say Serbia beating Ireland is probably the more interesting result.

The question is, why can France compete against England at u16 level but then only be at the level of England community team at u19 level?

23 hours ago, DoubleD said:

The question is, why can France compete against England at u16 level but then only be at the level of England community team at u19 level?

What level are you judging the Community Lions,a lot of these lads are playing open age rugby at NCL level,some have probably chosen not to sign for academies because of other work opportunities and some will go on to sign with semi pro teams.

2 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

What level are you judging the Community Lions,a lot of these lads are playing open age rugby at NCL level,some have probably chosen not to sign for academies because of other work opportunities and some will go on to sign with semi pro teams.

Yes but they’re still a significant step down from England Academy

Last year's games finished 1 all in France against the Academy if I remember rightly, France won by number of points difference I think