Sign in to follow this  
Wakefield Ram

Feigning injuries

Recommended Posts

At the Dewsbury v Swinton game today had at least three Swinton players go down "injured" when play got near their line and play stopped. All three miraculously recovered to play on, none of them were head injuries. I might be wrong but I seem to remember a time when if a player was injured unless it was serious it was play on.... or have things changed?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a concern as players are abusing the head injury protocol, which was rightly brought in to protect players.

My solution is that where the game has to be stopped for any injury, then the player must either be substituted or must leave the field for 60 seconds for assessment, with no sub coming on.

This is similar to what happens in football. 

When players realise that feigning injury may lead to their side temporarily being reduced to 12 men, you would soon see who was really injured.

The game would hopefully speed up too and we could reduce the amount of 2 hour games!

Edited by Chris22
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Players have been doing this for years, the new thing is staying down to get a penalty when the tv is there 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Ant said:

Players have been doing this for years, the new thing is staying down to get a penalty when the tv is there 

Agreed. The tactic of going down injured when your team is struggling on their own line is as old as the hills. I dont like it, but the newer trend of feigning injury to try to con a penalty is worse.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really hate this modern thing about lying down pretending to be injured.  For many decades, players wouldn't admit to being injured even if they were because the opposition would run at them or pick them out with a kick because they knew they weren't fully fit.  

Also, the game never stopped in those days when a player was down injured. The sponge man was allowed onto the field whilst the game continued.  That was one of the features which made Rugby League different from football.  Without checking the old books, I'm sure there there was a law which said that if a tackled player was injured and couldn't play the ball, the ball should be given to a team-mate who should play the ball from a point no further forward than where the tackle took place and the game continued.

Rugby League is a very hard game and always was.  It's being constantly modified, though, to meet modern 'snowflake generation' society.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A Toulouse player went down injured after tackling a Leeds player yesterday. The ref allowed play to go on until Leeds completed their set. Then Toulouse regained possession and after the second or third Toulouse play the ball, he eventually stopped play for him to receive treatment.

Bizarre.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

   When a game is into the last 5min the Ref should stop the clock if the player playing the ball takes more time than an opponent would be allowed to slow play down.ie= usually 3 seconds.But that is too simple for the powers to be to reckognise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, M j M said:

 

The difference with the round ball game was soccer player's spent most of the game pretending to be hurt, whilst the players of our code refused to show they were hurting, we knew that if someone stayed down they were really injured, but not any more, what we are witnessing today is a by-product of how the game has become over sanitised in the not to distant past, it is allowed it to happen, and I would go further and say coached to happen.

Edited by Harry Stottle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Wakefield Ram said:

At the Dewsbury v Swinton game today had at least three Swinton players go down "injured" when play got near their line and play stopped. All three miraculously recovered to play on, none of them were head injuries. I might be wrong but I seem to remember a time when if a player was injured unless it was serious it was play on.... or have things changed?

Hate to say it but of all the teams that stick in the mind for doing this in the last few years Dewsbury are in the top ranks. 

In 2016 they even had a slightly rotund physio who took twice as long to get on and off the pitch as even the slowest physio in the league.  Every niggle became a five minute break for the players.

In last years home game we saddos counted 7 last quarter injuries that needed assistance, all in their own 20m.  Once everyone had their breath back the injury was magically cured. 

2016 was as bad whilst hanging on for a draw that ultimately became a win because of a Sidlow brainfart. The constant stopping of the game to stymie any momentum building worked brilliantly as he lost the plot completely...

Don't get me wrong Swinton are up there with the best but Dewsbury as far from innocent. I'd suggest no team are.

But you're right.  It's getting annoying.... perhaps the RFL should do a bit of research.

  • How many 'injuries' occur in repeat defensive sets/when the defending team are on the ropes and blowing out of the wrong end.
  • How many 'injuries' occur in the last third of the game
  • How many 'injuries' occur when the team is defending v attacking
  • How many 'injuries' occur within the defending teams own 30m
  • How many occur in the team leading in the last ten mins of a close game
  • How many actually resulted in the player needing medical assistance either off pitch or after the game

I reckon there'd be a few embarrased faces.

Edited by Scarey71
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Wakefield Ram said:

At the Dewsbury v Swinton game today had at least three Swinton players go down "injured" when play got near their line and play stopped. All three miraculously recovered to play on, none of them were head injuries. I might be wrong but I seem to remember a time when if a player was injured unless it was serious it was play on.... or have things changed?

Perhaps if the so called injured player had to leave the field of play that might focus minds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It basically is a byproduct of the ref stopping the game for every injury now . Like anything it’s abused . If it’s not a serious head injury or in the way of play it should be play on , they’re getting treatment . It’s getting ridiculous . It makes me laugh in the NRL that we stop for soneone to be bandaged or get a bloody nose wiped - and the ref says ‘ the trainer has put his hand up I must stop ‘ ... err hello , what do you think the trainer is gonna do when his team are defending with 12 ? They work it , and putting it in the hand of the team itself is crazy .

the really big issue for me ? We prided ourselves on being a free flowing fast moving entertaining sport . Look at many games now - penalty , injury , penalty , video ref , penalty , video ref in general play etc etc . It is fragmented far to much with refs involvement , technology and stoppages . It’s not meant to be like  that . In looking for perfection , cramming officials with instruction  and extreme player welfare you affect the nature and spectacle of the game . And we’re there two hours later . Even at our level I’ve been to games bordering on two hours for all kinds of stops . Ref warning , trainers , water carriers , injury , time off !Oz is terrible for it - players are saying they never feel tired and the fatigue factor due to the game continuing a pace is virtually negated 

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, CmonTheBorough said:

I really hate this modern thing about lying down pretending to be injured.  For many decades, players wouldn't admit to being injured even if they were because the opposition would run at them or pick them out with a kick because they knew they weren't fully fit.  

Also, the game never stopped in those days when a player was down injured. The sponge man was allowed onto the field whilst the game continued.  That was one of the features which made Rugby League different from football.  Without checking the old books, I'm sure there there was a law which said that if a tackled player was injured and couldn't play the ball, the ball should be given to a team-mate who should play the ball from a point no further forward than where the tackle took place and the game continued.

Rugby League is a very hard game and always was.  It's being constantly modified, though, to meet modern 'snowflake generation' society.

I fully agree with your first two paragraphs.

But in your last point I think you are directing your anger in the wrong place. It is the players who are pretending to be injured and they are of course being coached to do so. The laws are there to protect injured players, and the players are abusing that law.  If there are any 'snowflakes' here it is the players and I never thought I would say that about Rugby League.

On a general note.  Rugby League has no moral high ground over soccer when we see our players feigning injury, asking the ref to send a player to the bin and attempting to milk a penalty via the video ref. All a bit embarrassing to be honest.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fully agree with this thread , perhaps any player stopping the match and needing treatment should have to stay off the pitch until the next set of six was completed .

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

A Toulouse player went down injured after tackling a Leeds player yesterday. The ref allowed play to go on until Leeds completed their set. Then Toulouse regained possession and after the second or third Toulouse play the ball, he eventually stopped play for him to receive treatment.

Bizarre.

I think if memory serves he only stopped play to allow the player to be taken off as they were walking across that side of the field... if its the same one as you note

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a counterpoint try to put yourself in the position of a referee. Take a robust approach, as most of we traditionalists would prefer, and play on around the injured player and get applauded for that. Learn later that the player had a serious injury and get castigated by the same people for not stopping play early enough. It is a matter of judgement and, with most referees not being medical experts, they are forced to listen to the advice of others with more expertise; these are the physios.

If we assume that all clubs employ physios for their ability to cheat and scheme at every opportunity then where does that place our sport when compared with the traditional hallowed ground where we like to position it?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

As a counterpoint try to put yourself in the position of a referee. Take a robust approach, as most of we traditionalists would prefer, and play on around the injured player and get applauded for that. Learn later that the player had a serious injury and get castigated by the same people for not stopping play early enough. It is a matter of judgement and, with most referees not being medical experts, they are forced to listen to the advice of others with more expertise; these are the physios.

If we assume that all clubs employ physios for their ability to cheat and scheme at every opportunity then where does that place our sport when compared with the traditional hallowed ground where we like to position it?

Exactly. If players are feigning injury to try and gain an advantage then no criticism whatsoever.should be allocated to the referee.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

As a counterpoint try to put yourself in the position of a referee. Take a robust approach, as most of we traditionalists would prefer, and play on around the injured player and get applauded for that. Learn later that the player had a serious injury and get castigated by the same people for not stopping play early enough. It is a matter of judgement and, with most referees not being medical experts, they are forced to listen to the advice of others with more expertise; these are the physios.

If we assume that all clubs employ physios for their ability to cheat and scheme at every opportunity then where does that place our sport when compared with the traditional hallowed ground where we like to position it?

Like i said earlier, if the supposed injured player was forced to leave the field and inspected by the match doctor it might focus minds, but i fully understand your point

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was completely cheesed off by the gamesmanship Jamaica displayed against Wales in a friendly international.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Like i said earlier, if the supposed injured player was forced to leave the field and inspected by the match doctor it might focus minds, but i fully understand your point

We are forgetting that coaches are concerned regarding future illness caused by injuries now.  Concussion injuries are going through due process these days, like never before, and player welfare is very topical.

Its all well and good for suggestions that the players must be taken from the field, but what if that player has a spine or head injury?   

JP's Twitter comment is right, but we need to start naming these cheats.  Unfortunately, it is very difficult and players and coaches know it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They stopped the game in the parramatta game for Hayne to have a cut taped 80 yards away ... when the trainer got the game stopped and everyone stood around and waited 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


League Express - Online Now

League Express - Every Monday



Rugby League World - Sept 2018

Rugby League World - Sept 2018

Rugby League Books On Sale Here