Sign in to follow this  
Futtocks

Dom Manfredi

Apparently, Dom played 40 minutes in the reserves game, scoring 2 tries. Hope to see him back in first team action soon.

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Apparently, Dom played 40 minutes in the reserves game, scoring 2 tries. Hope to see him back in first team action soon.

Good to see the lad making a comeback,deserves a chance to get back in the first team.

• Like 1

It's great to see him back on the field after so long out. He gradually worked his way into the game and made a few hit ups. Got a couple of tries which will do his confidence the world of good. He's going to be lacking match fitness and it will take a while to get that back. With there being no official reserves competition it's going to be hard for him to reach match fitness. There'll only be a handful of games before the end of the year and then he'll have several months out during the off-season. This is why having no proper reserve structure is ludicrous. Unless he makes exceptionally quick progress it could be well into next year before we start to see a return to what he's capable of. I'm just glad the club has stuck with him and he can get back to doing what he does best.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

He looked the real deal before his injury. Hopefully that hasn’t took the edge of his game and he can get his career back on track. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, EagleEyePie said:

It's great to see him back on the field after so long out. He gradually worked his way into the game and made a few hit ups. Got a couple of tries which will do his confidence the world of good. He's going to be lacking match fitness and it will take a while to get that back. With there being no official reserves competition it's going to be hard for him to reach match fitness. There'll only be a handful of games before the end of the year and then he'll have several months out during the off-season. This is why having no proper reserve structure is ludicrous. Unless he makes exceptionally quick progress it could be well into next year before we start to see a return to what he's capable of. I'm just glad the club has stuck with him and he can get back to doing what he does best.

If he doesn't play in the first team at all this year, but is fit and ready to do a proper off-season preparation? I'd take that in a heartbeat, if it meant he came back 100% fit, fresh and hungry to make up for lost time.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

If he doesn't play in the first team at all this year, but is fit and ready to do a proper off-season preparation? I'd take that in a heartbeat, if it meant he came back 100% fit, fresh and hungry to make up for lost time. 

Me too. I just think it's unfortunate that having not played a game in 2 years he makes a comeback and is then kicking his heels for the rest of the year instead of being able to gradually increase his game time. According to Wigan's website there's only one reserve game coming up before the end of the year and that's against the England Lions Development Squad. I'm not sure whether they will try to arrange more (I hope they will) but in an ideal world there'd be an opportunity for him to start playing regularly again in the reserves.

14 minutes ago, EagleEyePie said:

Me too. I just think it's unfortunate that having not played a game in 2 years he makes a comeback and is then kicking his heels for the rest of the year instead of being able to gradually increase his game time. According to Wigan's website there's only one reserve game coming up before the end of the year and that's against the England Lions Development Squad. I'm not sure whether they will try to arrange more (I hope they will) but in an ideal world there'd be an opportunity for him to start playing regularly again in the reserves.

Perhaps he could try his hand at French Elite rugby when their season starts, on the understanding that it is for a limited period, maybe until Christmas or thereabouts.

• Like 2

Great news , hope he has an untroubled run finally and gets back to where he was , as he looked one of the if not heading to be the best 

• Like 3

Great news,he is a great talent,hopefully his hard work and patience will pay off and he goes on to enjoy a long and successful career.

Town had him on loan twice a couple of seasons ago , made a massive impact in just a handful of games , i am sure all Town fans wish him an injury free and successful career from now on in .

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby-league/wigan-warriors/dom-manfredi-in-the-frame-to-make-super-league-comeback-against-catalans-this-weekend-1-9299001

The Young Adult is back? Very good player too and if fully fit for the next year got to be around the England set up. 

Edited by Southerner80

I'm a bit shocked that he's being considered for the first team so soon. I assumed he was given 40 minutes in the reserves to gradually work up to match fitness but perhaps the club were satisfied. Not having many reserve games perhaps means the club are willing to take the risk on him.

That means someone will have to be dropped. Marshall is the obvious choice in terms of form and ability but since Manfredi can only really play on the right it seems Davies might be the one to make way on Saturday.

9 minutes ago, EagleEyePie said:

I'm a bit shocked that he's being considered for the first team so soon. I assumed he was given 40 minutes in the reserves to gradually work up to match fitness but perhaps the club were satisfied. Not having many reserve games perhaps means the club are willing to take the risk on him.

That means someone will have to be dropped. Marshall is the obvious choice in terms of form and ability but since Manfredi can only really play on the right it seems Davies might be the one to make way on Saturday.

If Isa & Sarginson are the centres he won’t get much decent ball whichever wing he plays.

20 minutes ago, EagleEyePie said:

Hard on Davies, but may be his initial impact has faded. Although he still looks usefull and makes yards... and he looks strong whereas Marshall looks small. But there have been lots of changes in the right centre spot so it's not really fair to judge.

In any event, if he plays then it will be interesting to see how he goes. 2 years is a long time. I can barely remember.  In fact I cannot remember.

2 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Hard on Davies, but may be his initial impact has faded. Although he still looks usefull and makes yards... and he looks strong whereas Marshall looks small. But there have been lots of changes in the right centre spot so it's not really fair to judge.

In any event, if he plays then it will be interesting to see how he goes. 2 years is a long time. I can barely remember.  In fact I cannot remember.

Davies has made a few mistakes at times this year but all it means is that he's gone from playing well in 100% of his games last year to about 90% this year. He's still our best winger and I'd pick him ahead of Marshall every time. He's an excellent finisher and quicker than people think but he hardly gets any attacking opportunities on the right hand side because the team is so unbalanced. The only issue is that certain players play much better on one side of the field. Manfredi is the obvious example because of his excellent right foot step. With Davies I'm not sure but from my recollection I don't think he's ever played on the left.

Should Dom return and show some form the choice for Shaun Wane is pick our two best wingers and try Davies on the left or stick with Marshall on the left despite being the weakest of the 3 and then pick between Manfredi and Davies.

Wane may be tempted to put Davies at centre with Manfredi outside him. Reports that Hamlin was injured may mean we have to move Isa back into the middle.

Great to see him making his comeback. An undoubted talent. Hope the injuries haven't hampered his speed.

With all the wingers currently at Wigan, all of whom have tasted plenty of 1st team action, i wonder if Manfredi would be an option at centre. certainly strong enough. Not sure how good his passing game is though.

29 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

Great to see him making his comeback. An undoubted talent. Hope the injuries haven't hampered his speed.

With all the wingers currently at Wigan, all of whom have tasted plenty of 1st team action, i wonder if Manfredi would be an option at centre. certainly strong enough. Not sure how good his passing game is though.

Probably a lot better than Isa,Sarginson and Bateman,but after 2yrs out let's see how he goes in his natural position and hopefully Wigan might actually sign a top class centre,it's been a long time since old man George retired !!

1 hour ago, Davo5 said:

Probably a lot better than Isa,Sarginson and Bateman,but after 2yrs out let's see how he goes in his natural position and hopefully Wigan might actually sign a top class centre,it's been a long time since old man George retired !!

Centre these days is the fill in position... It seems. Players there as cant get in at full back, second rows filling in. Passing isnt as universal as it is. The likes of Shenton at Cas or Gildart at Wigan are rare. 

Manfredi will probably play as Wigan will see the away game at Cats as not a must win game. Further if hes truly fit, hes a very good player and offers alot bringing the ball away early in a set as well as scoring. 

Could Manfredi be a centre? Big strong guy with good footwork... Would be a tough ask on him now, but given Wigan's depth on the wings, is a shift possible for next year?

1 hour ago, ghost crayfish said:

Could Manfredi be a centre? Big strong guy with good footwork... Would be a tough ask on him now, but given Wigan's depth on the wings, is a shift possible for next year?

If he's got the passing ability, he's certainly got the physique.

11 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

If he's got the passing ability, he's certainly got the physique.

Why do you need passing ability? England had Bateman as centre in the World Cup final 🙄