Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, manu266 said:

Before the Wolfpack I've always considered becoming a fan of one of the Hull team, for a silly reason actually, the street where my grand father was born is a cul de sac leading to the a ferry dock, and the ferry's destination is... Kingston upon Hull. I watched so many ferries leaving Belgium when I was a kid, one of them tragically never left in 1987, I guess that left some kind of weird connection between me and England.

Anyway these days the ferry lands on the left bank of the Hull river. Would that make me a Hull KR fan if I had chosen to be a Hull fan?

And another stupid question, what happened to Kingston in the city name?

The ferries from Belgium arrive at King George dock which is in the east of the city, Rovers territory. Hardly anyone calls it Kingston upon Hull although that is the official name of the city. I suppose it’s just laziness. It’s also pronounced ‘Ull. We’re not big on aitches in this part of the world. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

The ferries from Belgium arrive at King George dock which is in the east of the city, Rovers territory. Hardly anyone calls it Kingston upon Hull although that is the official name of the city. I suppose it’s just laziness. It’s also pronounced ‘Ull. We’re not big on aitches in this part of the world. 

DP I need a fairly accurate number on how many fans you think  they will bring over?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If there is a large crowd for the HKR, I hope the TWP are organised off the field. 

One booth for beer tickets is not good enough. Perhaps they could have a couple of tables set up outside the stadium to sell tickets as fans are arriving. 

Also, my daughter quite often comes along and the women's washrooms can't handle the capacity. Not sure what the solution is, perhaps an area of porto-potties or switching one of the male washrooms to female.  

I know a lot of new folks will be attending this game so they need to address these issues to create a positive first impression.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ojx said:

One booth for beer tickets is not good enough. Perhaps they could have a couple of tables set up outside the stadium to sell tickets as fans are arriving. 

Also, my daughter quite often comes along and the women's washrooms can't handle the capacity. Not sure what the solution is, perhaps an area of porto-potties or switching one of the male washrooms to female.  

There is a porta potty area in the beer garden.

Are they no longer selling the beer tokens in the east concourse (along with the table in the beer garden)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Kayakman said:

DP I need a fairly accurate number on how many fans you think  they will bring over?

It’s difficult to put a number on it Kman but Rovers usually travel well. The short notice that they were playing in Toronto won’t help though. It’s also not the most affluent of areas. One thing I will guarantee is they will drink and they will sing.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

It’s difficult to put a number on it Kman but Rovers usually travel well. The short notice that they were playing in Toronto won’t help though. It’s also not the most affluent of areas. One thing I will guarantee is they will drink and they will sing.

Well then the question is will the singing be better than when Hunslet was here?...the great unanswered question of the day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kayakman said:

Well then the question is will the singing be better than when Hunslet was here?...the great unanswered question of the day.

Begrudgingly I’d say yes the singing will be better than Hunslet’s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

Begrudgingly I’d say yes the singing will be better than Hunslet’s.

I can't see it beating Hunslet but I will let you know.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, ojx said:

If there is a large crowd for the HKR, I hope the TWP are organised off the field. 

One booth for beer tickets is not good enough. Perhaps they could have a couple of tables set up outside the stadium to sell tickets as fans are arriving. 

Also, my daughter quite often comes along and the women's washrooms can't handle the capacity. Not sure what the solution is, perhaps an area of porto-potties or switching one of the male washrooms to female.  

I know a lot of new folks will be attending this game so they need to address these issues to create a positive first impression.

they had 2 token stands last game or two..but they are side by side..need them at each end! At least that tall gal with short hair n shades is back..she's a stunner!

at one busy game the gals took it upon themselves to use the men's bog and nobody batted a hair..You go girls!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haven't seen the squad announcement yet...who are our wingers???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, RobertAM said:

Haven't seen the squad announcement yet...who are our wingers???

Me neither, here is hoping Higson is available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

h

4 hours ago, RobertAM said:

 

 

h

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No Higson but MCB making his debut...hope he flies...

surprised to see Brierley in there..thought he was "hors de combat" but good news.

darn good squad even though despite some of our stars out of the contest.  Come on Wolfpack....!!!.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hot off the presses:

Toronto Wolfpack step up to host Hull Kingston Rovers in Super 8s

By Neil DavidsonThe Canadian Press
Fri., Aug. 17, 2018
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
 

The Toronto Wolfpack, no stranger to firsts, mark another milestone Saturday when they host the Hull Kingston Rovers.

The venerable visitors, whose history dates back to 1882, are the first Super League side to visit Toronto. The second-year Wolfpack, looking to continue their rise up rugby league’s ranks, have never beaten a team from the top flight.

Newly signed winger Mason Caton-Brown will have added responsibilities on Saturday, as the Toronto Wolfpack will be without their first-choice wingers against Super League side Hull Kingston Rovers in a Super 8s Qualifiers game at Lamport Stadium.
Newly signed winger Mason Caton-Brown will have added responsibilities on Saturday, as the Toronto Wolfpack will be without their first-choice wingers against Super League side Hull Kingston Rovers in a Super 8s Qualifiers game at Lamport Stadium.  (Neil Davidson / THE CANADIAN PRESS)

Toronto, which topped the second-tier Betfred Championship with a 20-2-1 mark this season, suffered an embarrassing 66-10 defeat at the hand of the Super League Warrington Wolves in Ladbrokes Challenge Cup play in May. In 2017, Toronto lost 29-22 to Salford Red Devils in the same knockout competition.

Those two Super League losses aside, Toronto boasts a 41-3-2 career record.

Read more:

Toronto Wolfpack sign Mason Caton-Brown to post-season roster

Toronto Wolfpack’s schedule for Super 8s Qualifiers released

Waiting for travel schedule a pain for Wolfpack

After finishing 10th in the 12-team top flight, Hull Kingston Rovers (8-14-1) are looking to retain their Super League status via the Super 8s Qualifiers, which pit the bottom four teams in the top division against the top four of the second-tier Betfred Championship in a round-robin competition.

“We’re going to be challenged,” said Wolfpack coach Paul Rowley, a former England hooker.

 

While both Toronto and Hull KR are full-time squads, the Super League provides stiffer opposition week in and week out than the Betfred Championship, where half of the teams are part-time outfits.

“They’re 100 per cent capable of being a top-six team (in the Super League) but they’re inconsistent,” Rowley said of Hull KR, by way of analysis. “And that’s why they are where they are.”

The top three sides in the Super 8 Qualifiers earn Super League status while No. 4 takes on No. 5 in what is dubbed the “Million Pound Game” to see who joins them. Toronto defeated fellow Championship side Halifax RLFC 14-0 to open the playoffs while Hull was beaten 28-10 by Salford.

The Wolfpack victory came at a cost, with injuries ruling out both of Toronto’s first-choice wingers this weekend. High-scoring Liam Kay is done for the season with an ankle injury while Mattie Russell will be just hours short of fulfilling the seven-day concussion protocol.

“Two massive losses. The metres that they make and their carries are going to be a phenomenal loss,” said Rowley.

Nick Rawsthorne and Mason Caton-Brown, an elegant speedster making his Wolfpack debut after signing from Wakefield Trinity, will start on the wing.

“If you blink you’ll miss him,” Rowley said of Caton-Brown. “And Nick’s got strength. They both can score tries that are pretty, that take special players to score.”

Rowley lamented the short turnaround of the playoffs, given the transatlantic travel. Factoring in travel, Toronto has just five days to prepare for its final Super 8s Qualifier against Leeds on Sept 22.

More time is needed, given the rough-and-tumble game of rugby league.

“Five days is not adequate for car crashes,” said Rowley. “If you have a car crash on King Street (where Toronto’s Lamport Stadium is located) now, you’re not recovered in five days. And these boys are having several car crashes on Saturday.”

Hull will be without Australian bad boy Todd Carney (calf tear), Lee Jewitt (concussion) and Justin Carney (ankle, no relation to Todd) and Maurice Blair (suspension).

On the plus side for Hull, six-foot-six, 275-pound Samoan prop Mose Masoe returns from suspension. Rowley calls him a “man-mountain.”

Hull Kingston Rovers are led by the iconic Tim Sheens, who previously coached Australia, New South Wales in the State of Origin series and four Premiership-winning teams in Australia’s National Rugby League.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tut, tut, tut. This Neil Davidson needs educating. Hull didn’t lose to Salford last week. Hull lost to Wakefield in the Super 8s. Mose Masoe doesn’t play for Hull. He plays for Hull Kingston Rovers. If he writes about the EPL does he call the team that won the title last season ‘Manchester’? Does he call the team that finished second ‘Manchester’ too?

Edited by deluded pom?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/16/2018 at 9:35 PM, manu266 said:

Before the Wolfpack I've always considered becoming a fan of one of the Hull team, for a silly reason actually, the street where my grand father was born is a cul de sac leading to the a ferry dock, and the ferry's destination is... Kingston upon Hull. I watched so many ferries leaving Belgium when I was a kid, one of them tragically never left in 1987, I guess that left some kind of weird connection between me and England.

Anyway these days the ferry lands on the left bank of the Hull river. Would that make me a Hull KR fan if I had chosen to be a Hull fan?

And another stupid question, what happened to Kingston in the city name?

If they televise a match from Craven Park (I refuse to call it by the sponsor’s name) they often show a view of the docks which are about a mile or so from the stadium. If the ferry is in dock that will be either going to Rotterdam or Zeebrugge.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yep they were all over the place, Hull were there for the taking and we blew it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Overall disappointed with the final score, but thought TWP played with them. SL team have better D than TWP are used to and they need to get more creative. They had plenty of chances, but couldn't get over the try line. When you look how HKR scored, two break aways and one from a TWP high kick that HKR moved well down field, means TWP were not that bad defensively, just when HKR got a chance they took it and TWP didn't. A loss, not the end of the world (yet).

 

Edited by Medway Bear
Couple of typos corrected.
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

we don't seem to be able to get it out to the wing fast enough, coverage on MCB and Rawsthorne wasn't  cloying indeed they seemed to be open quite often but the ball didn't make it out to them..very frustrating to watch heaven knows what they made of it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, RobertAM said:

yep they were all over the place, Hull were there for the taking and we blew it.

You weren’t playing Hull Robert.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16 August 2018 at 9:35 PM, manu266 said:

Before the Wolfpack I've always considered becoming a fan of one of the Hull team, for a silly reason actually, the street where my grand father was born is a cul de sac leading to the a ferry dock, and the ferry's destination is... Kingston upon Hull. I watched so many ferries leaving Belgium when I was a kid, one of them tragically never left in 1987, I guess that left some kind of weird connection between me and England.

Anyway these days the ferry lands on the left bank of the Hull river. Would that make me a Hull KR fan if I had chosen to be a Hull fan?

And another stupid question, what happened to Kingston in the city name?

In 1299 king Edward renamed the town of wyke,Kings town of/upon hull due to its importance of import and export with the Netherlands. The original port in what was wyke was built by monks to export their wool to mainland Europe. Kings town or kingston was dropped unofficially when England came under the reign of queen somebody or other,same as Kingston upon thames

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well it was like one of these numerous soccer games when your team takes control of the game and the ball but just doesn't convert their chances, while the other team, well, they convert all of theirs. And also a ref that makes some questionable calls in the last 6 minutes...

Very disappointed with the attendence. Less than the Fev game. It was looking good on the East stand, I had less space than usual to move around, but the West side was pretty empty on the edges.

London is on the Labour weekend, so I don't expect a record there, but we have to come in numbers for Toulouse and Widnes. But most of all, they have to win these 3 games, no margin of error left, Salford seems unbeatable, we will see what London can do to Leeds in a few hours.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

You weren’t playing Hull Robert.

sorry my mistake...Hull Kingston Rovers!

great to shake hands/grab a photo with Vaivai and Masoe and chat with Craig Hall.

crowd size was a bit disappointing though would have thought at least a thousand more..tells the marketing guys they still have some work to do. Thought the wrestling at halftime was lame..wouldnt give the "wrestlers" 5 minutes against Cory P!

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


League Express Yearbook 2018/19 - Order Now


Rugby League World - Nov 2018

Rugby League World - Nov 2018



League Express - Online Now

League Express - Every Monday