Sign in to follow this  
Kenilworth Tiger

Have you ever won anything big?

I know someone who won £53 million on Euro lottery. Does that count?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JohnM said:

I know someone who won £53 million on Euro lottery. Does that count?

Was it your brother in law and best friend Sabs?

Won the fev half time draw.... twice! 350 quid each time.

A major slice of luck when i met the memsahib in 1977.....

But otherwise.... not a skerrit!!

I won a £1000 on the Premium Bonds, but nearly binned it as I didn't think I had any mistook it for junk mail, my Grandad had bought me £100 worth for my 18th, but the prize came before my actual birthday so I had no idea!

Obviously being 18 I invested it wisely and the rest as they say is history................................

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My parents bought me and my sister a single Premium Bond each, some time in the Seventies. I'd forgotten about them entirely. Then, in 2014, I won twice in three months! Only £20 each time, but quite a surprise!

21 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Was it your brother in law and best friend Sabs?

If only. He did though, buy a group of us a round of drinks.  Turned out he never normally did the lottery!

8 minutes ago, JohnM said:

If only. He did though, buy a group of us a round of drinks.  Turned out he never normally did the lottery!

Tight sod, is that all?

I won the jackpot out of the slot machine at Crawley Jets clubhouse when playing for St.Albans 2nds, was about £95 and the locals were giving me the evils. I was being pestered to put more than a few quid in the pint pot at some hovel of a pub on the way back where this dirty old slapper was going to get her tata out and parade amongst the local grots. I firmly told them to do one and was having no part of it.

Did same amount on a fruit machine at Royal tournament in 1989, that was about my net weekly wages from the army as a class IV private (basically still a NIG) so I was pretty stoked with that!

My ex's dad won £50k on a scratchie whilst he was on his way to babysit her sprog, only went in for a paper, the lucky sod!

Don't do lotto and I don't do scratchcards, did used to get competitors companion some years back but small stuff mostly, nothing big. 

Edited by Denton Rovers RLFC

Never won anything big but left work in 1984 to go on maternity leave and entered a draw in D H Evans in Oxford St on the way home.  A few weeks later I was at home with newborn son and received the winning hamper which was full of luxury items, body sprays, bath stuff, perfume, manicure set, silk scarf, leather purse, etc.  It wasn't much in the grand scheme but the timing was perfect and taught me never to visit a new mum with baby grows and Johnsons powder.  I always take mum some luxuries instead.  Have done Euromillions and Thunderball tonight though so I'll let you know tomorrow which island I've bought so you can all book flights 😂

I started doing the health lottery but no luck there and the prize structure is pretty rubbish unless you hit the jackpot 

5 hours ago, Amber Avenger said:

I won £1,000 on the latest comeback series of 'Who Wants To Be A Millionaire'. I would have posted about it on here at the time, but I didn't want people shouting "Who is this thicko" at their screens. Then I realised people probably do that every time I post on here anyway :D

What was the question you failed on?

I won £360 on the pools in 1979, that would be £1731.54 today.

Since April 1st this year I have won on the lottery 13 times totaling£148.80 and 6 free draws.

• Like 1

Certainly have.

Won a stuffed toy gorilla at Hull Fair that was so bleedin' enormous it was almost life size.

Remember Spot the Ball ? Used to do that every week with a load of crosses everywhere . Never got owt , seemed totally impossible . I reckon the ball wasn’t on the picture sometimes 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Remember Spot the Ball ? Used to do that every week with a load of crosses everywhere . Never got owt , seemed totally impossible . I reckon the ball wasn’t on the picture sometimes 

The secret is to use a pin, not a pen.  When you hear a "pssst" , you know youve punctured the bsll.

• Haha 4

Just now, JohnM said:

The secret is to use a pin, not a pen.  When you hear a "pssst" , you know youve punctured the bsll.

Bit late now , I like that strategy mind . My kind of logic

Won a contest to play in the warm up game in Wollongong for Wigan/Hull Legends against St George, I'm the lad in the middle with the red face!

Legends Team.jpg

Edited by The Alchemist
  • Like 4

About 20 years ago a few of us were having a beer one Sunday when my mate Robby asked if we wanted to chip in as he was going to enter 3 or 4 teams in a fantasy football competition in one of the nationals that had the top prize of £40,000. It was a few quid to enter each team and you were only allowed one entry per person so we all chipped in a few quid and let him use our names. When it comes to football, he's an absolute anorak and as regards fantasy football, well he studies it like nowt else. I think around 20,000 people entered and when it came down to the last weekend, he was winning by a small margin and needed two or three goals to finish top. We all gathered in a pub called Durty Nellies in Hull's old town to watch the drama unfold on the telly but, unlike now, all we could watch was the score flashes on the bottom of the screen and then quickly had put teletext on to see which player had scored. Fortunately, the lad behind the bar allowed us to use the tv remote which was a rare privilege then.

Anyway, we won the top prize and shared it between us, your return depending on how much you'd chipped in. I think my share was somewhere between 5 and 6 grand so that was nice. :good:

In 1988 I was working on a building site in Coventry. A bloke had just moved into the show house and wanted a few electrical jobs doing so the site agent asked me to carry these out. While I was there he asked me what I was doing on the coming Saturday so I told him I was going to Headingly in Leeds as Hull FC were playing a Yorkshire Cup game there. He suggested I have a quid each way on a horse called Cuvee Charlie in the Lincoln as it would be long odds but had a chance. I popped into the local bookies round the corner and had a look at the odds. Cuvee Charlie was 33/1 so I bunged £3 each way on it. The aforementioned Robby said it was a waste of money as the Lincoln was a bit of a lottery. On the Saturday, we saw Hull lose at Leeds (did we ever win there?) and nipped into the clubhouse for a beer afterwards. Although I tried to watch the tv for any news on the Lincoln, it was a struggle as I'd had a beer or two and they didn't seem to be reporting on any horse racing. I forgot all about it and about midnight I got home and the house phone was ringing. When I stumbled in to answer it, I didn't get an identifying greeting, all I heard was Robby's voice uttering "You f***ing lucky ba$tard". 

When Widnes returned to SL, their first match was Wakey at home and they lost summat like 18-29. Wakey weren't much cop then so the following week when Widnes were at Huddersfield were I expected them to get a right pasting. Ladbrokes offered 20/1 on a Hudds win by 51-55 and 33/1 on a Hudds win by 56-60. I fancied those margins so had a tenner on each. If memory serves, Hudds won 62-6 so that was rather marvellous.

Apart from that I've won nowt.

17 hours ago, Johnoco said:

Did they ring you up or announce you'd won during a match?  And if so have you still got it recorded?

No unfortunately they just announced it a the end and my name came up on a graphic on screen. I had to wait a full 10 days before I received an official letter to confirm!

Checked youtube many times but doesn't seem to be available :(

• Thanks 1

I won the "great balls of fire" at the KC once. They throw mini rugby balls into the crowd with numbers written and if that number corresponds to the first try scorer you win. I forget the game now but I do remember it was Richard Horne that won it for me.

So after the game I went to the club shop to claim my prize. I wasnt really expecting cash, but I thought I might get hospitality for a game, or at least a signed shirt or something. 

It was a couple of vouchers for hollywood bowl and a meat hamper delivered by whichever butchers was sponsor at the time. Come to think of it there might have been a couple of car stickers aswell.

The sausages were good though.

Well it has to be the wife ........ now that she has gone out of the room I can put my only big win on here as I never told her about it.

Years ago when me and the wife was courting - do people still say that - 3 of us at work used to do the Pools and Spot the Ball.  One week we won £500 on Spot the Ball so we got £166.66 each.  

I had a choice.  I could tell her about it and probably have a weekend away somewhere or enjoy the next 4 or 5 Friday and Saturday nights out with the mates, beer, fish and chips and even a taxi home.  So I was looking forward to the next 4 or 5 weekends

But God in his infinite wisdom piddled on my party as the exhaust went on my car and the cost was just over £180.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Kenilworth Tiger said:

No unfortunately they just announced it a the end and my name came up on a graphic on screen. I had to wait a full 10 days before I received an official letter to confirm!

Shame, would have been a great momento in years to come.

6 hours ago, Kenilworth Tiger said:

Get in touch with Sky, they'll still have it and, in the modern age, should be able to send it somehow, I'd have thought.

• Like 1