Sign in to follow this  
Kenilworth Tiger

Have you ever won anything big?

Talking abut gee-gees, put the last £10 of my college grant money on Maori Venture at 28-1, that was more than a full terms money so came in handy to buy bits for college ... or was it beers down the White Hart at lunch time and a new set of darts hahahaha.

Mum was terrible for backing long odds horses but always seemed to win a few quid each way, I didn't bet on a horse for another 22 years and that was only because we went to a small meet as the missus rides and does therapeutic work with them. We won something from 6 out of 7 races and only lost out on the final race (and an accumulator thingy??) as they only placed the top two, was gutted, though nearly died when the missus was about to put her hand up to put a bid in for one of the race winning nags, it went for peanuts so not sure if it had issues but she still mentions it over 9 years on! I just hope it didn't go on to win anything big or sell for a lot of money😆

I have been a member of the golden bond draw at Salford for a number of years. I won the top prize of £1,000 a couple of years ago. Got home from a training course in London yesterday and found I'd won £500 on their new version of the draw.

Went on a cruise and on a sea day joined in the quiz and hubby and I won. An American gust was arguing about an answer and after we won she came over to us to tell us that answer was wrong and they should have won. We told her we didn't get it right anyway. Off she went moaning, made my day though.

9 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Well it has to be the wife ........ now that she has gone out of the room I can put my only big win on here as I never told her about it.

Years ago when me and the wife was courting - do people still say that - 3 of us at work used to do the Pools and Spot the Ball.  One week we won £500 on Spot the Ball so we got £166.66 each.  

I had a choice.  I could tell her about it and probably have a weekend away somewhere or enjoy the next 4 or 5 Friday and Saturday nights out with the mates, beer, fish and chips and even a taxi home.  So I was looking forward to the next 4 or 5 weekends

But God in his infinite wisdom piddled on my party as the exhaust went on my car and the cost was just over £180.

God does, indeed, move in mysterious ways His wonders to perform!

• Like 1

Most recently, a mate of mine from Doncaster phoned to say how about a bet on the two cup semis, so we had the Dragons and Rhinos both to win.  I don't really understand betting, but I gather we had some money on each of them and some on a joint bet.  So, we got a bit, but the Rhinos let us down - typical flippin' Leeds!

Some years ago, I entered a competition in a magazine for canal enthusiasts.  I won first prize which was a week's 4-berth narrowboat hire.  the hire company giving the prize had two bases - at Banknewton, near Gargrave, on the Leeds & Liverpool, trading as Yorkshire Dales Hire Cruisers, and one at Worsley, near Manchester, trading as Cheshire Plains Hire Cruisers.  We won on the tie-break which was to complete the statement, "Dales or Plains, the going's great because..."  we put 'everything is always Dale-lightfully Plain sailing!'  We opted to go from Worsley and did the so-called Cheshire Ring of canals.

• Like 2

I was briefly out of work a while back so I decided to sort out my bit of our filing cabinet. I was merrily shredding old documents when something made me pause with a letter from the tax man. Why I paused I couldn't really say. Inside it was an ancient cheque for a tax rebate for about £250 ! How I'd overlooked it in the first place was a complete mystery. 

Any way we still had a tax office then so I took the cheque down there. If my memory serves me well they couldn't honour that cheque but they sent me a new one for the same amount. The problem was I'd shredded a few other letters just like that one without looking what was inside them ! 

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

14 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

About 20 years ago a few of us were having a beer one Sunday when my mate Robby asked if we wanted to chip in as he was going to enter 3 or 4 teams in a fantasy football competition in one of the nationals that had the top prize of £40,000. It was a few quid to enter each team and you were only allowed one entry per person so we all chipped in a few quid and let him use our names. When it comes to football, he's an absolute anorak and as regards fantasy football, well he studies it like nowt else. I think around 20,000 people entered and when it came down to the last weekend, he was winning by a small margin and needed two or three goals to finish top. We all gathered in a pub called Durty Nellies in Hull's old town to watch the drama unfold on the telly but, unlike now, all we could watch was the score flashes on the bottom of the screen and then quickly had put teletext on to see which player had scored. Fortunately, the lad behind the bar allowed us to use the tv remote which was a rare privilege then.

Anyway, we won the top prize and shared it between us, your return depending on how much you'd chipped in. I think my share was somewhere between 5 and 6 grand so that was nice. :good:

I think you ought to share the story of Robby winning the 2015 Challenge Cup Final guess the score competition.

• Haha 1

A mobile phone after winning an athletic competition at the stadium. I also beat the time of every Raiders player. I was a mean machine a few years back.

A signed Raiders jersey. The other prize on the day was the match ball signed by both captains. It turned out to be Andrew Johns last game. I wish I got the ball instead.

$5000 (or possibly $3k ... I forget now) at the end of a fun run after my name was drawn at random. They gave me a large laminated certificate to bring to a branch of the sponsoring bank and claim the prize.

I went into the bank with the dodgy looking certificate asking for 1000s of $ and they looked at me like I was a lunatic. After a few phone calls to head office I was given the money.

I won a Superleague shirt in a competition in Rugby League World, where we had to say how many teams (up to that season) had played in Super League. Not only did I get the question right, I also named them. Because the prize was a SL shirt, I chose a Salford one & gave it to my brother.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Red Willow said:

I have been a member of the golden bond draw at Salford for a number of years. I won the top prize of £1,000 a couple of years ago. Got home from a training course in London yesterday and found I'd won £500 on their new version of the draw.

My Brother won £1000 on that back in 1988, so we went to Corsica for two weeks, I had to pay for myself of course, tight 2hat.

Won tickets to the 2006 Challenge Cup Final - Saints v Huddersfield by correctly guessing the half time score at the Wakefield v Leeds game at Belle Vue. Radio Leeds rang me live while I was on the terraces. Only downside was that the final was a Twickers, still never look a gift horse, etc.

The better half won us a weekend here

https://upperhousehayfield.com/

through some competition to do with Agatha Christie and the same weekend dropped tickets to see "The South" (exlcuding the beautiful bit) at Buxton Opera House.

Back in 1995 I won the Sportsnight competition for a weekend package for the World Cup Final.  Posh tickets in the dining bit of Wembley, first class travel, a hotel with food thrown in, and a couple of signed jumpers.

Me and my lass got a bit puddled, but nowhere near as drunk as the Australian team who were staying in the same hotel.  I remember the tour manager the next morning counting out a wad of cash to the irate hotel boss to pay for damages.  I also remember the lift doors opening and half the team falling, sprawled across the floor.

Four or five years ago I also won £1000 on the Warrington RLFC lottery.  Got me out of a bit of problems with the bank at the time!

On 8/17/2018 at 3:18 PM, timtum said:

Me and my lass got a bit puddled, but nowhere near as drunk as the Australian team who were staying in the same hotel.  I remember the tour manager the next morning counting out a wad of cash to the irate hotel boss to pay for damages.  I also remember the lift doors opening and half the team falling, sprawled across the floor.

What goes on on tour, stays on tour.

On 8/15/2018 at 10:04 PM, Ullman said:

I think you ought to share the story of Robby winning the 2015 Challenge Cup Final guess the score competition.

After this afternoon, I feel as though it really needs an outing, so here goes...

For the 2015 Challenge Cup Final, we gathered in the Whalebone and all had a couple of attempts at guess the score, a quid a go, winner takes all. 82 people had a go so the jackpot was well worth winning. At half time, Robby was picked up by his missus and kids as they were all travelling down to East Midlands airport that afternoon for a flight to Gran Canaria, if memory serves. Of his two guesses, one of them was 50-0 to Leeds. as the 2nd half wore on, I kept him in touch via text and after the final hooter, he generously said "Get my winnings off the landlord and have a pi** up on me!". I still remember the look on the landlord's face when I told him Robby had won it. He calmly stated, "I haven't checked to see who's the nearest yet." His look changed dramatically after I told him there's no need to check as he had an outright winner who was spot on.

Move on to this afternoon and, once again, we all gathered looking forward to the game and all had a go on the guess the score.

So, I suppose you're wondering who won it?

Robby, with his one guess of Wire 14 Catalans 20.

Don't ask me, I have no clue either.

On 8/25/2018 at 7:49 PM, Old Frightful said:

After this afternoon, I feel as though it really needs an outing, so here goes...

For the 2015 Challenge Cup Final, we gathered in the Whalebone and all had a couple of attempts at guess the score, a quid a go, winner takes all. 82 people had a go so the jackpot was well worth winning. At half time, Robby was picked up by his missus and kids as they were all travelling down to East Midlands airport that afternoon for a flight to Gran Canaria, if memory serves. Of his two guesses, one of them was 50-0 to Leeds. as the 2nd half wore on, I kept him in touch via text and after the final hooter, he generously said "Get my winnings off the landlord and have a pi** up on me!". I still remember the look on the landlord's face when I told him Robby had won it. He calmly stated, "I haven't checked to see who's the nearest yet." His look changed dramatically after I told him there's no need to check as he had an outright winner who was spot on.

Move on to this afternoon and, once again, we all gathered looking forward to the game and all had a go on the guess the score.

Jammy bleeder or sporting mastermind?

On 8/25/2018 at 7:49 PM, Old Frightful said:

Does Robby own a Delorean? 🤔 

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 5:53 PM, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

I won the jackpot out of the slot machine at Crawley Jets clubhouse when playing for St.Albans 2nds, was about £95 and the locals were giving me the evils. I was being pestered to put more than a few quid in the pint pot at some hovel of a pub on the way back where this dirty old slapper was going to get her tata out and parade amongst the local grots. I firmly told them to do one and was having no part of it.

Did same amount on a fruit machine at Royal tournament in 1989, that was about my net weekly wages from the army as a class IV private (basically still a NIG) so I was pretty stoked with that!

My ex's dad won £50k on a scratchie whilst he was on his way to babysit her sprog, only went in for a paper, the lucky sod!

Don't do lotto and I don't do scratchcards, did used to get competitors companion some years back but small stuff mostly, nothing big. 

"Gunner"

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Does Robby own a Delorean? 🤔 

:laugh:

No but they did move house with the assistance of the Fantasy Football win.

Driving is a touchy subject with him so I'll not mention it but I'm fairly certain there have never been flames from his tyres.

Not a “win” as such but a train I was on from London to Manchester with work was delayed by over 2 hours.  They sent me vouchers worth twice the value of the ticket (about £600).  In what I can only assume was an admin error, I then got another £600 in vouchers about 5 days later.  The £1,200 bought my season ticket for the following year.  That’s the most “free money” I’ve ever had.

Recently invited to a swanky restaurant opening, free booze and food all night. Worth over 500 SGD i reckon.

Expecting my photo in the back of next months Hello magazine..

A couple of years ago I had a tax bill to pay and had to keep some cash 'safe' for a few months. 

A colleague in the same position said he had put his in premium bonds as it was guaranteed to stay safe and had the bonus of the chance of winning a few quid. So I put some money in premium bonds for me Mrs Dunbar.

A couple of months later my wife won £10k and so we went to Antigua for Christmas. My colleague was not happy!

22 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Not a “win” as such but a train I was on from London to Manchester with work was delayed by over 2 hours.  They sent me vouchers worth twice the value of the ticket (about £600).  In what I can only assume was an admin error, I then got another £600 in vouchers about 5 days later.  The £1,200 bought my season ticket for the following year.  That’s the most “free money” I’ve ever had.

I’ve actually remembered since posting this that my wife in fact took the vouchers and used them for her season ticket. I paid for mine myself months later. So I basically got nothing. Still, at least it was free...

Just opened a parcel containing a hat I'd bought. The parcel contained 5 identical hats!

#winning

PS I've contacted the company and asked if they want them back. 

#maybenotwinningbutdoingtherightthing

10 minutes ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Just opened a parcel containing a hat I'd bought. The parcel contained 5 identical hats!

#winning

PS I've contacted the company and asked if they want them back. 

#maybenotwinningbutdoingtherightthing

They may say no we did it on purpose , couldn’t get shot of them , no other mug would buy them ... 

• Haha 1