Jump to content
Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Kenilworth Tiger

Have you ever won anything big?

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

They may say no we did it on purpose , couldn’t get shot of them , no other mug would buy them ... 

If they say that I'll make sure I send you one. 


2014 Challenged Cup Winner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

If they say that I'll make sure I send you one. 

Yep , we’re all mugs mate . Getting fleeced and buying stuff on the cheap thinking it’s great . I once bought a cheap ‘ iPod ‘ from China and I took it out the Jiffy bag and the front fell off . I should have knew 9 quid was to good to be true . I changed my windows three times before I realised I had a crack in me glasses 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never had much luck with this sort of thing.

Two examples:

One autumn evening in 1986 I was taken along to the Rosehill Theatre, Whitehaven, to see folk singer Vin Garbutt (the 'Teesside Troubador' turned out to be excellent; he died in 2017, unfortunately). I won the raffle for a signed album but couldn't find my ticket. The organisers redrew the raffle, and the lad (we were sharing digs) who'd asked me to accompany him went home with the goodies.

My wife and I won the raffle at the 2018 Aire-Wharfe Cricket League's Waddilove Cup Final (at Steeton CC). Prize was two tickets for a 2019 Yorkshire T20 match at Headingley. We arranged to go to the Derbyshire game. At very short notice, this was cancelled because it clashed with England's football World Cup quarter-final match - and was then rearranged for a date we couldn't make.

As for the National Lottery: I haven't bothered with it since 1992. At the time, I was working on Middlesbrough's evening newspaper. One rollover weekend, everybody in editorial formed a syndicate. We had more than a hundred tickets. Didn't win even a tenner. Brought home to me how much the National Lottery is a fools' tax. Haven't bought a ticket since.

 

 

 

Edited by Hopping Mad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Just opened a parcel containing a hat I'd bought. The parcel contained 5 identical hats!

#winning

 

PS I've contacted the company and asked if they want them back. 

#maybenotwinningbutdoingtherightthing

Honesty pays off occasionally.  I once did a survey for a business survey site I'm a member of and they accidentally sent me 10 £10 Amazon vouchers rather than the one I'd earned for the survey.  I contacted them and they told me to keep them for my honesty, they said their system would have told them of the error at the monthly reconciliation so if I hadn't come forward then they'd have asked me for them back.


“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" - Mark Twain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hopping Mad said:

Never had much luck with this sort of thing.

Two examples:

One autumn evening in 1986 I was taken along to the Rosehill Theatre, Whitehaven, to see folk singer Vin Garbutt (the 'Teesside Troubador' turned out to be excellent; he died in 2017, unfortunately). I won the raffle for a signed album but couldn't find my ticket. The organisers redrew the raffle, and the lad (we were sharing digs) who'd asked me to accompany him went home with the goodies.

My wife and I won the raffle at the 2018 Aire-Wharfe Cricket League's Waddilove Cup Final (at Steeton CC). Prize was two tickets for a 2019 Yorkshire T20 match at Headingley. We arranged to go to the Derbyshire game. At very short notice, this was cancelled because it clashed with England's football World Cup quarter-final match - and was then rearranged for a date we couldn't make.

As for the National Lottery: I haven't bothered with it since 1992. At the time, I was working on Middlesbrough's evening newspaper. One rollover weekend, everybody in editorial formed a syndicate. We had more than a hundred tickets. Didn't win even a tenner. Brought home to me how much the National Lottery is a fools' tax. Haven't bought a ticket since.

The lottery is one of these things that if you've spare money then it doesn't hurt to stick on a ticket or two, unfortunately it tends to target those who don't have the money to spare but are desperate for a bit of luck.


“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" - Mark Twain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The wife ordered some Thai food t'other week on Deliveroo. The clear Tom Yum soup i crave so dearly arrived cold so she complained - 50 SGD voucher.

Had some peeps in the pool to watch NRL on the following Saturday, so we used the 50 SGD towards a mega Ben & Jerry's delivery. It didn't turn up for ages, so we complained - another 50 SGD voucher and he showed up 10 mins later. She told them to cancel the voucher and they gave her an additional one for the hassle, so that 100 SGD and the ice-cream.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back in '97 won a 2 week trip to the Bathurst car race( inc. time in Sydney) with Audi in Top Gear magazine then a few years later my now ex wife and her sister had popped into a supermarket one evening and on impulse bought a lottery ticket, got 5 numbers and won seventy grand, won lots of tickets to concert's, motoracing and books/CD's etc but nothing for a fair few years. Thing is everything is online now and the odds seem different. I remember reading that a fair few years ago the local paper in Coventry, Evening Telegraph?, ran a write in competition to win a car and only got 4 entries! You've got to be in to win as someone said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/10/2018 at 7:03 PM, Clogiron said:

Back in '97 won a 2 week trip to the Bathurst car race( inc. time in Sydney) with Audi in Top Gear magazine

Out of everything said, this ones got me the most green with envy! It's on my bucketlist to go to Bathurst.

I very rarely enter into competitions but as a kid I won Steve Renouf's shirt he played in on the boxing day derby. Was too big for me so my mum (after it stopped smelling of wintergreens) started wearing it and still does to this day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Zilch


Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never won anything , I generally never had luck but the bad kind , but then I won for once in the lottery of life ( touch wood to now ) and found the best surgeon in the country who saved my life . I’d like to think that counts - 7/10 / 16

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, andyscoot said:

Out of everything said, this ones got me the most green with envy! It's on my bucketlist to go to Bathurst.

I very rarely enter into competitions but as a kid I won Steve Renouf's shirt he played in on the boxing day derby. Was too big for me so my mum (after it stopped smelling of wintergreens) started wearing it and still does to this day.

The track's just out of this world, like a miniature TT course for car's, when. Practice and the racing end's it's a public road albeit a one way system with a strictly enforced speed limit, but still a thrill to drive around. Best give the top of the hill a miss, best described as feral! We took a helicopter trip around the track and once up in the air the pilot told us that the natives up there had been known to take pot shots at tour helicopters  but not to worry as they were too pi**ed to ever hit one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife won a very large teddy bear once.


Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

 

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Mam won a prize - mystery tour -and took her friend . Everyone on the bus had a wager on where they were going and the driver won £67 

Edited by DavidM
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 11:05 AM, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Just opened a parcel containing a hat I'd bought. The parcel contained 5 identical hats!

#winning

 

PS I've contacted the company and asked if they want them back. 

#maybenotwinningbutdoingtherightthing

Just send two back; then you'll have a hattrick!

I'll just get my coat and three hats...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...