Sign in to follow this  
Lowdesert

Hetherington rant - ‘is it time for him to be removed’?

Just now, Lowdesert said:

For GH, for Leeds or for you.  Which one?

For whoever wrote it. 

Im sure if GH decides to tear himself away from looking at his 8 GF rings and piles of money to read atrociously written nonsense on a minor RL website he wont be too hurt by that article. 

The first sentence of that article is an embarrassment to journalism, whether you agree with GH or not, and I don't.

5 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

The first sentence of that article is an embarrassment to journalism, whether you agree with GH or not, and I don't.

GH's behaviour, like pretty much all the games leaders, regarding the structure was poor. 

However this issue, whether you agree or disagree re the reserves, he is right on. 

Even if you don't agree with DR and the lack of reserves, all GH asked for was that Rimmer make that argument and do so in a fact based manner. I can't see why anyone would want any different prior to a major change. And if Rimmer doesnt have that argument or evidence he shouldnt be making a definitive comment. That was poor from Rimmer. Could GH have kept that criticism in house? maybe, but its not a particularly big or important one.

Rimmer should either have had that argument and evidence, presented it to the clubs and gone pushed to go ahead with it if thats where the evidence led or said we are investigating it. He didnt, Hetherington criticised that fairly lightly. Its hardly important. 

Edited by scotchy1

It's toys out of the pram stuff though, isn't it?

DR was GH's invention and, come hell or high water, he is going to be shown to be right, even if he isn't.

There is a debate to be held, but not in public using various social media networks, forums etc. Playing the game in this way is simply childish.

• Like 2

Should Hetherington be removed? Absolutely. Look at the game right now. We definitely need change and we desperately need it now. 

Hetherington’s stranglehold on the powers that be needs loosening and we need massive, game wide change. 

1 minute ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Should Hetherington be removed? Absolutely. Look at the game right now. We definitely need change and we desperately need it now. 

Hetherington’s stranglehold on the powers that be needs loosening and we need massive, game wide change. 

Be removed from what and by whom?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Be removed from what and by whom?

I was answering the OP’s title. Removed from having such a prominent say on proceedings in regards to Rugby League. And hopefully by Robert Elstone. 

3 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

I was answering the OP’s title. Removed from having such a prominent say on proceedings in regards to Rugby League. And hopefully by Robert Elstone. 

What? I have literally no idea how you think that is possible. 

4 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

I don’t know how you stop him having his right to speak and give his opinions ... and elstone doesn’t have that power . He’s running a club and if they’re happy that’s it 

He's employed by Leeds so how would you remove him? It looks like he may be stepping back from the 'public eye' after appointing Sinfield as Director of Rugby who is taking over some of his roles.

15 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

He's been outvoted by 11-1 so who does he have power over? He's now picking a fight with the veto holder.

He brings up some good questions about what would the effect be of all those reserve teams on the lower leagues and community game in the short run as the players have to come from somewhere right.

Where will the players come from is the next most used RL phrase after TGG.

Edited by Krzzystuff
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Krzzystuff said:

He's been outvoted by 11-1 so who does he have power over? He's now picking a fight with the veto holder.

He brings up some good questions about what would the effect be of all those reserve teams on the lower leagues and community game in the short run as the players have to come from somewhere right.

Where will the players come from is the next most used RL phrase after TGG.

He doesnt have any power over and above any other CEO, except that he is the representative of the biggest most successful club of the professional era. 

There is a bit of an idea that all the other chairmen are united against GH but that isnt really true, each have been pretty clear they have differing agendas to each other. 

That part of the game is all a bit of a mess that they all have responsibility for.

• Like 3

Whatever you may think of Hetherington's views and stance, that is a very VERY highly partisan, sujective and quite deriding opinion piece, which IMO does its author no favours whatsoever.  The only rant I see is from the author of the artcle, tbh.

What partisan rants like that DO achieve, though, is to give the (misleading and highly-disingenuous) impression that the target said, implied or meant things that he never actually said or did. And, if enough people keep repeating the fiction, it becomes received fact. A tactic employed regularly by demagogues and sundry rabble-rousers and malcontents.

Personally, I hate DR and think Hetherington is probably wrong. But the way to challenge that is through reasoned argument, not disingenuous and borderline-dishonest derision.

• Like 10

29 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

What? I have literally no idea how you think that is possible. 

It’s been abundantly clear for years the presence Hetherington has over some. It’s time for said presence to be extinguished. The game is on its backside and we need fresh ideas, not antiquated, parochial Hetherington having a prominent position in the game. 

1 minute ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

It’s been abundantly clear for years the presence Hetherington has over some. It’s time for said presence to be extinguished. The game is on its backside and we need fresh ideas, not antiquated, parochial Hetherington having a prominent position in the game. 

Erm sure...

What official position do you think he holds in the game that Elstone could remove him from? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

But that’s just an opinion , like he has his . Guys like Lenagan and McManus are equally vocal . Just because you don’t agree with him you can’t ‘ extinguish ‘ him . The way they are doing it may be debatable but they’re allowed  to push their case . 

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

just thinking back...……… was gawy leeds worst ever player? 

He is certainly the best administrator we have ever had. 

5 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

I'll agree with that bit, 100%.  But the only "fresh" ideas I have seen so far from the Junta or their employee look to be in reality just defensive plans to preserve the existing SL clubs. And the hell with anyone else. The Wood/Hetherington axis was clearly shafted with Wood's defenestration, and probably no bad thing given my loathing of Wood.  But will the game be any better off when Lenagan and his allies have fully siezed control?  Or will it just be another case of "meet the new boss, same as the old boss...?"

Had Elstone been appointed as RFL CEO (instead of the very very poor appointment actually made) rather than SL CEO, then I would probably have felt considerably more optimistic.  As it is, all I see is one junta replacing another, and not taking us forward at all.

• Like 1

He has his opinion, he can choose to express it in this way if he wishes, but it would benefit us all, and help counter the image of our leaders as thick northerners if he could express it clearly, logically, concisely and with supporting evidence. I'm sure he regrets how it came out, but he can't change that now.