Sign in to follow this  
John Drake

19 Aug: The Betfred Championship Shield Match Thread

Discuss this weekend's Betfred Championship Shield games here.

SUNDAY 19th AUGUST
Batley Bulldogs v Dewsbury Rams KO 3pm
Leigh Centurions v Barrow Raiders KO 3pm
Rochdale Hornets v Featherstone Rovers KO 3pm
Swinton Lions v Sheffield Eagles KO 3pm

If we lose this, are we automatically relegated, or is there a further play-off?

8 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

If we lose this, are we automatically relegated, or is there a further play-off?

Final positions after 30 matches decides the relegation places, no play offs. Although mathematically not relegated even if you lose to Sheffield and both Barrow and Dewsbury win, it will need some very favourable results, or other events, over the coming weeks for you to stay up.

1 minute ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Final positions after 30 matches decides the relegation places, no play offs. Although mathematically not relegated even if you lose to Sheffield and both Barrow and Dewsbury win, it will need some very favourable results, or other events, over the coming weeks for you to stay up.

The other events are the best bet.

Goodbye Championship, hello Championship One. See you in 2020.

Mind you, there were some nay-sayers on the Swinton thread who were saying we wouldn't win a match all season 😜

Edited by Bleep1673

3 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

If I had to put money on...........

I expect other events to crop up within the next two weeks.

The match between the bottom two might be about more than pride.

11 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Also, if Leigh go into liquidation and reform as a C1 club, would that save a Championship club from relegation or promote a third club from C1?

Ironically in 2009 it was Leigh who had the benefit of this type of scenario, they would have been relegated from the Championship that season only to be reprieved and keep their Championship status cuertosy of Steve Garside the then Chairman of Gateshead Thunder who withdrew the funding thus winding up the holding company and the Noth East club were relegated instead.

Incidentally in that season 2009 Tolouse finished bottom, how fortunes change.

12 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

I daresay they will, although I wouldn't care (or is that dare?) to speculate on what they might be.

Dewsbury stayed up courtesy of Des Johnson breaching the salary cap at Barrow and they were relegated.

But there's no way an outspoken club owner would defy the salary cap ( or threaten to ignore it and get the rules changed), see the team fail to get the results needed and then end up leaving a club with massive financial problems .........

Edited by Wakefield Ram

Possibly a record of sorts at LSV on Sunday. 6 French players could feature in this one. For Leigh Bergal, Larroyer and Dezaria. For Barrow Bartes, Mendy and Gambaro

Edited by audois

8 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Also, if Leigh go into liquidation and reform as a C1 club, would that save a Championship club from relegation or promote a third club from C1?

Ironically in 2009 it was Leigh who had the benefit of this type of scenario, they would have been relegated from the Championship that season only to be reprieved and keep their Championship status cuertosy of Steve Garside the then Chairman of Gateshead Thunder who withdrew the funding thus winding up the holding company and the Noth East club were relegated instead.

Incidentally in that season 2009 Tolouse finished bottom, how fortunes change.

Sorry, I can't answer "ifs". If WWIII breaks out would it affect the £1M game - don't know that either.

HTH

Edited by Blind side johnny
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Dewsbury stayed up courtesy of Des Johnson breaching the salary cap at Barrow and they were relegated.

But there's no way an outspoken club owner would defy the salary cap ( or threaten to ignore it and get the rules changed), see the team fail to get the results needed and then end up leaving a club with massive financial problems .........

Actually TWP got the rules changed.

47 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Sorry, I can't answer "ifs". If WWIII breaks out would it affect the £1M game - don't know that either.

HTH

Really, it was a logical question "should" Leigh's fate see's them relegated, if you choose to be annoyingly insensitive or to slow to understand the question that is your persona or prerogative.

Edited by Harry Stottle

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

Really, it was a logical question "should" Leigh's fate see's them relegated, if you choose to be annoyingly insensitive or to slow to understand the question that is your prerogative.

It is. Interpret it as you will.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

I stand corrected! Another example of someone coming up with the facts to spoil a good conspiracy theory 😀

15 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

I thought that was for Championship 1 from 2017, the year they entered, whereas the Championship SC had already been increased (to 50% of income) in 2016 after 'lobbying' by one owner in particular?

1 hour ago, Wakefield Ram said:

I stand corrected! Another example of someone coming up with the facts to spoil a good conspiracy theory 😀

Edit: link to ref to 50% and Leigh having SC of £1.3m in 2016

http://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/news/12199/10077240/leigh-centurions-admit-interest-in-signing-rangi-chase

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/34925697

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/championship-1-salary-cap-to-be-raised/

Edited by Les Tonks Sidestep

2 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

I thought that was for Championship 1 from 2017, the year they entered, whereas the Championship SC had already been increased (to 50% of income) in 2016 after 'lobbying' by one owner in particular?

Edit: link to ref to 50% and Leigh having SC of £1.3m in 2016

http://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/news/12199/10077240/leigh-centurions-admit-interest-in-signing-rangi-chase

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/34925697

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/championship-1-salary-cap-to-be-raised/

My understanding was that TWP made it plain that they couldn't operate their current model under the restrictions of the Championship SC, so it was equalised with that for SL. Clubs have still had to demonstrate their true earning capacity for the year before their actual cap was approved for the season. (A complicated and fairly boring process.)

I may, of course, be wrong.

3 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

My understanding was that TWP made it plain that they couldn't operate their current model under the restrictions of the Championship SC, so it was equalised with that for SL. Clubs have still had to demonstrate their true earning capacity for the year before their actual cap was approved for the season. (A complicated and fairly boring process.)

I may, of course, be wrong.

The Championship SC increase to SL level was definitely pushed by one person.....

DB was reported to have said he was going to defy the cap/go to court arguing against restraint of trade so that Championship clubs could compete on equal terms with SL clubs in the 8s (after Leigh's failure to gain promotion in 2015).....The Championship cap was equalised with that of SL for the 2016 season ie 50% of (proven) earnings up to £1.8m max, and as you say the clubs had to have RFL approval for their proposed spend (I think all clubs do?) - Leigh's approved cap for 2016 was £1.3m. TWP were admitted in 2017 which is when the C1 cap was equalised, almost certainly, as you say, at their behest - I very much doubt that any other C1 club were pushing for an increase to that level.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

The Championship SC increase to SL level was definitely pushed by one person.....

DB was reported to have said he was going to defy the cap/go to court arguing against restraint of trade so that Championship clubs could compete on equal terms with SL clubs in the 8s (after Leigh's failure to gain promotion in 2015).....The Championship cap was equalised with that of SL for the 2016 season ie 50% of (proven) earnings up to £1.8m max, and as you say the clubs had to have RFL approval for their proposed spend (I think all clubs do?) - Leigh's approved cap for 2016 was £1.3m. TWP were admitted in 2017 which is when the C1 cap was equalised, almost certainly, as you say, at their behest - I very much doubt that any other C1 club were pushing for an increase to that level.

You fail to miss the point DB had to put up a £1m bond with the RFL to secure the £1.3m SC.

8 hours ago, SL17 said:

You fail to miss the point DB had to put up a £1m bond with the RFL to secure the £1.3m SC.

Not sure he did ..seems income allowed the club a £1.3m SC but to spend more they needed to deposit a bond in lieu of income. Whatever, the rules allowed spending up to £1.8m and only one person was pushing for that.

"We received confirmation from the salary cap manager that under new rules we can spend £1.3m based on our budgets submitted," he said.

"This means there are no issues of juggling around the million pound cap with the players we signed. It also means we can recruit further, subject to a cash bond deposited with the RFL."

That's it for Swinton & Rochdale