Sign in to follow this  
The Future is League

Broncos getting desperate now

If the broncos move Bennett on and give the job to anyone but Kevin Walters, I will be most displeased. If they give the job to Michael Maguire, I'll become a Cowboys supporter...and half of Brisbane will probably join me.

Edited by ghost crayfish

James Hooper claiming that Siebold is already  lined up from 2020 onwards. Darius Boyd saying he wants Jason Demetriou, IF the supercoach leaves.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/teams/broncos/seibold-scuttlebutt-heats-up-james-hoopers-sources-say-south-sydneys-coach-has-already-agreed-to-terms-with-the-broncos/news-story/266570456a1ca27571857f6894680272

1 hour ago, ghost crayfish said:

If the broncos move Bennett on and give the job to anyone but Kevin Walters, I will be most displeased. If they give the job to Michael Maguire, I'll become a Cowboys supporter...and half of Brisbane will probably join me.

Interesting, why so much love for Walters and none for Maguire? Not convinced on Walters whatsoever but as a Cowboys fan I'm willing to see you guys take him instead of Maguire 😉

1 minute ago, jim_57 said:

Interesting, why so much love for Walters and none for Maguire? Not convinced on Walters whatsoever but as a Cowboys fan I'm willing to see you guys take him instead of Maguire 😉

Walters was a disaster at the Catalans. I would think he would be the same for the Broncos.

32 minutes ago, jim_57 said:

Kevvie's a Broncos legend, Maguire's some crazy Mr Intense from Canberra. No thanks... 

In all seriousness, I respect what Maguire has done but I don't think he's a great fit. By the end of his time at Souths, the players seemed to hate him. It didn't look like a happy club. The way they're going this year suggests as much too. Maguire might become a good rep coach, but is a bit of an over intense one trick pony for club footy.

...and I think Walters has been the unsung brains behind a lot of Brisbane's success. It was often said he was the guy who kept them ticking in the 90s, with Langer being free to do the magic. And Walters was the assistant coach who had Milford and Hunt firing in 2015. Add in his stint as an assistant in Melbourne, his good work with QLD in transition, and his experience as head coach in super league (admittedly didn't do well but Catalans is a unique challenge), and I reckon it's his time.

Edited by ghost crayfish
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ghost crayfish said:

Kevvie's a Broncos legend, Maguire's some crazy Mr Intense from Canberra. No thanks... 

In all seriousness, I respect what Maguire has done but I don't think he's a great fit. By the end of his time at Souths, the players seemed to hate him. It didn't look like a happy club. The way they're going this year suggests as much too. Maguire might become a good rep coach, but is a bit of an over intense one trick pony for club footy.

...and I think Walters has been the unsung brains behind a lot of Brisbane's success. It was often said he was the guy who kept them ticking in the 90s, with Langer being free to do the magic. And Walters was the assistant coach who had Milford and Hunt firing in 2015. Add in his stint as an assistant in Melbourne, his good work with QLD in transition, and his experience as head coach in super league (admittedly didn't do well but Catalans is a unique challenge), and I reckon it's his time.

Trent Robinson didn't struggle with the Catalans job and he had to pick up the mess Walters left behind. The best players don't always make the best coaches

36 minutes ago, lucky 7 said:

Trent Robinson didn't struggle with the Catalans job and he had to pick up the mess Walters left behind. The best players don't always make the best coaches

Absolutely. If you think about some of the great coaches in a lot of sports, they were often people who'd been average players - the kind of people who really had to work and think hard to achieve what they did on the field. The natural talents sometimes don't know how to teach other players to do what they do.

Who was the a better Football manager; Kevin Keegan or Alex Ferguson?

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 2

I'd go so far as to say that Walters was the worst* coach Super League has seen.

*almost impossible to define, so I'm going compared to expectations.

9 hours ago, lucky 7 said:

Well good luck, I'd take Maguire honestly but willing to see how Walters goes and you are probably right that he deserves his shot at making it work.

Its getting even more farcical at the Broncos now with CEO Paul White saying the Bennett will be coaching the Broncos in 2019 after previously saying if the lost to the Rabbitohs yesterday Bennett was gone.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sport/nrl/broncos-remain-quiet-on-bennett-s-long-term-future-20180817-p4zy39.html

On 8/16/2018 at 6:51 PM, MrPosh said:

I'd go so far as to say that Walters was the worst* coach Super League has seen.

*almost impossible to define, so I'm going compared to expectations.

Probably an overststement on your part,or a tongue in cheek comment, but certainly the worst Catalans coach without a doubt.