Sign in to follow this  
Wakefield Ram

Batley A

Recommended Posts

We have  been lucky to beat Batley past few games.

So that thrashing was well on the agenda today.

At half time we had very slight chance of doing something.

Second half back to the dross we have played most of the season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think you lost it by letting score 12 uphill. The conditions strongly favoured down hill and 10 points wasn't enough to defend all we had to do was keep our foot on your throats second half and the points would come, which they did.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did we even play the second half? It was almost as if they didn’t want to win, loads of stupid knock ons and penalties killed us. Did anyone see the Igcident? I completely missed it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, jamesb0551 said:

Did we even play the second half? It was almost as if they didn’t want to win, loads of stupid knock ons and penalties killed us. Did anyone see the Igcident? I completely missed it

Kicking out at Farrell apparently - stupid, and the second time this season that his yellow card will have cost us.

I thought that, overall, it was a staggeringly disappointing display from start to finish. I don't know anything about our present injury situation but the selection looked a bit odd, almost as if we expected to lose and were resting players so they could be fit in time fo the Sheffield game. We conceded a really soft try in five minutes because we had forgotten how to tackle, then another when we decided to pull a tackled player over the line and give him a try. Somhhow or other we fought back and went ahead at half time against a ragged looking Batley side. All it needed was a ten minute spell of determination and concentration and we would wear them down.

Instead we decided to revert to our old strategy of winning without the ball - 11 penalties, most of them in the second half, knock-ons left, right and centre, and aimless kicks condemned us to defeat, and made Batley look like a good side at times. At the end it looked like we had given up and simply couldn't be bothered. Some of the referee's calls might have looked odd but players have to deal with this (I've watched the game for a fair few years and cannot recall one single example of a referee changing his mind because a player has a go at him); instead we chose to sulk. Sad to say that not many of our players came out of this with much credit after this game.

Never mind, Sheffield next in our quest for 8th place and the riches that will bring.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was destined for a boring arm wrestle but you score we score isn't good for the purists. The atmosphere at our derbies are diluted year on year.

Thank God we managed to put some scores on second half. Did we hammer you I'm not sure

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, silcoates said:

We have  been lucky to beat Batley past few games.

So that thrashing was well on the agenda today.

At half time we had very slight chance of doing something.

Second half back to the dross we have played most of the season.

Well I had a thoroughly entertaining first half, sat in the midst of the knowledgeable, and fair minded Batley faithful. They were only too happy to donate their sound advice to the referee and his officials, who apparently seemed incapable of spotting the fact that nearly every Rams pass was forward, every tackle was a head shot, we held down at the tackle, and we spent the entire half lining up with the dogs backs, whenever they had the ball, thereby preventing them from playing their usual expansive game. Fortunately, Mr Smith heeded their advice at half time, and thereafter had a half decent game, giving the dogs a succession of well deserved penalties, which more or less gave them the match.  My fondest memory, was of the red faced old guy, (wearing spectacles so thick he must have had brilliant eyesight to see through them), who spotted a "blatant forard pass" at completely the other end of the field, despite patently having his view obstructed by his large friend. Not a great day to be a Rams fan, and a dire match as predicted, but still marginally more entertaining than a trip to Owlcoats. :rolleyes:

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think you’ve hit the nail on the head BSJ, although I thought Walshaw Ryder and Glover never stopped trying. We best turn up against Sheffield after that dross

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most ill disciplined poor footballing performance second half for many a year. All the talk about not enough points on the board at half time *ollocks. We put in a performance that looked like the first friendly of the year. At least 3 knock ons on the first play count less penalties .Convert that to yards lost and we lost a lot of ground  which you cant do up hill .

We did the hard bit and covered for Iggy when he forgot which sport he was playing.Yet went to pieces rest of the half.When you put yourselves under so much unforced pressure cracks will appear .Lets be right certain players put a right shift in the second half while others seem to have got the end of season feeling. Cant blame the coach all he can do is take em to the touch line.If they cant play basic rugby .Needs a clear out and a freshening up next season.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the start I thought we contrived a defeat, especially after two minutes when Batley scored their first try. Batley then decided they should make a game of it by allowing Dewsbury to amass a 22-10 half time lead, hardly deserved. 

Second half I think the 'Dogs had decided that playtime had ended and they got on with the job in hand, with the help of Jack Smith. He gave Batley all the help he could (he'd no need to as we did that ourselves), like allowing what looked like a tackled player to get the ball away for a try to be scored and did we really not score in the second as he indicated that the Dewsbury played touched the ball to his foot?

League Express suggested that our MoM was Dale Morton, but I couldn't have awarded that to anyone, certainly not Robbie Ward who seems to like to concede a penalty when making a tackle. That paper also credited us with receiving seven penalties, but I think it was a mere five.

The published attendance surprised me, stating over 1400 watched the game - really?

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Crown Flatter said:

From the start I thought we contrived a defeat, especially after two minutes when Batley scored their first try. Batley then decided they should make a game of it by allowing Dewsbury to amass a 22-10 half time lead, hardly deserved. 

Second half I think the 'Dogs had decided that playtime had ended and they got on with the job in hand, with the help of Jack Smith. He gave Batley all the help he could (he'd no need to as we did that ourselves), like allowing what looked like a tackled player to get the ball away for a try to be scored and did we really not score in the second as he indicated that the Dewsbury played touched the ball to his foot?

League Express suggested that our MoM was Dale Morton, but I couldn't have awarded that to anyone, certainly not Robbie Ward who seems to like to concede a penalty when making a tackle. That paper also credited us with receiving seven penalties, but I think it was a mere five.

The published attendance surprised me, stating over 1400 watched the game - really?

Smith is just abysmal, but find me a good one. I thought he crucified us, in the first half.

Yes BSJ, it isn't an easy job, but crikey, guys like him make it look like an impossibility... 

I can't fathom where did he dug up the obstruction from in the first half, where Leak scored from a drop off pass inside. Him and Jouffret didn't cross, they were running side by side and at no point crossed. He also allowed the only quick penalty of the match off that too, which Sykes hoofed downfield, which you scored off.

Despite several forward passes by both teams. The only one he gave in the game was against us in our 20m, which you scored off early doors.

Igbinedion kicked Farrell, how is it not a straight red card? Is kicking somebody on the floor, somehow better than throwing a punch at them or headbutting them? He must have seen it, otherwise it should have gone on report.

Edited by DOGFATHER
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, DOGFATHER said:

Smith is just abysmal, but find me a good one. I thought he crucified us, in the first half.

Yes BSJ, it isn't an easy job, but crikey, guys like him make it look like an impossibility... 

I can't fathom where did he dug up the obstruction from in the first half, where Leak scored from a drop off pass inside. Him and Jouffret didn't cross, they were running side by side and at no point crossed. He also allowed the only quick penalty of the match off that too, which Sykes hoofed downfield, which you scored off.

Despite several forward passes by both teams. The only one he gave in the game was against us in our 20m, which you scored off early doors.

Igbinedion kicked Farrell, how is it not a straight red card? Is kicking somebody on the floor, somehow better than throwing a punch at them or headbutting them? He must have seen it, otherwise it should have gone on report.

Kicking Farrell on the floor? Igbinedion kick out at Faz whilst they were stood,that’s how I saw it anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Faz was walking away I believe, but certainly played his part in the incident.  I don't know if it's supposed to be a straight red for kicking but I was content to see a yellow card in the circumstances.

Edited by Bi11
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wasn't at the game, but I've seen the video.

Faz was walking away, but only after dropping an elbow on Iggy's head.

The 'kick' was a low swipe that barely made contact with Faz's ankles.

Iggy shouldn't have lashed out, and it deserved a yellow card, but the original offence was far worse.

You can see the highlights here for a quid: https://dewsburyrams.co.uk/2018/08/20/batley-bulldogs-42-dewsbury-rams-22-highlights-and-full-match-video/

Skip to 3:38, slow the footage down and let me know what you think!

Edited by Tom Coates

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Tom Coates said:

Here's the incident in question:

 

Pretty clear to me from the replay. Iggy shouldn't have reacted but in fairness didn't even connect. Difficult to hold back though when someone has just deliberately stuck their elbow in your face. Farrell's elbow was a yellow card offence. Was touch judge called Magoo by any chance?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, YOUNG UN said:

Pretty clear to me from the replay. Iggy shouldn't have reacted but in fairness didn't even connect. Difficult to hold back though when someone has just deliberately stuck their elbow in your face. Farrell's elbow was a yellow card offence. Was touch judge called Magoo by any chance?

Isn’t it strange that not only the officials missed the incident but majority of Batley fans did too😎😎

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tom Coates said:

Here's the incident in question:

 

Shocking refereeing but guess we are used to it now..What's to stop Farrell doing it time after time if you get that result...?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't hear any complaints when he was a Dewsbury player!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my eyes both players should have been sent off for that. 

Faz for assaulting iggy with the forearm/elbow and iggy for the stupid reaction, even though he didn’t cause any real damage you can’t condone that reaction.

faz was constantly at iggy at the summer bash those two clearly don’t get on.

and come off it PM when he was with us everyone knew he was a liability penalty wise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Piggy's mate said:

Didn't hear any complaints when he was a Dewsbury player!

I did - from dozens of Batley fans including........ooooh, what's his name now!!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 7:14 PM, silcoates said:

We have  been lucky to beat Batley past few games.

So that thrashing was well on the agenda today.

At half time we had very slight chance of doing something.

Second half back to the dross we have played most of the season.

 

7 minutes ago, jamesb0551 said:

In my eyes both players should have been sent off for that. 

Faz for assaulting iggy with the forearm/elbow and iggy for the stupid reaction, even though he didn’t cause any real damage you can’t condone that reaction.

faz was constantly at iggy at the summer bash those two clearly don’t get on.

and come off it PM when he was with us everyone knew he was a liability penalty wise.

Cant see how we was lucky at our place.We let them back in when we should have recorded a bigger win.Blackpool we always seemed to have enough in the bag. Over the last couple of seasons there seems little between the sides.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As quite rightly been said both players should have gone for 10 mins, looking at that clip the ref saw something as did the linesman, I was stood on the bottom try line and looking up at the incident remarked to the person next to me that they should both go.

Edited by RogerT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Piggy's mate said:

Didn't hear any complaints when he was a Dewsbury player!

But plenty from Batley fan's. Anyway he'll fit in well at Sheffield 😜

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, NickD said:

Shocking refereeing but guess we are used to it now..What's to stop Farrell doing it time after time if you get that result...?

Out of the two offences Farrell is by far the worst. Forearm to the head of a player on the ground. Easily a yellow.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And has anyone checked to see if Faz is retaliating for something done to him?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


League Express Yearbook 2018/19 - Order Now

Rugby League World - Christmas Offer

League Express - Online Now

League Express - Every Monday



Rugby League World - Dec 2018