Sign in to follow this  
welshmagpie

Non-heartland recruitment tactics?

After a season of struggling numbers and being based out of an RU club that struggles for numbers itself. A big recruitment dive is required at my community club in 2019.

Any advice or approaches people have used themselves or know about that work well? The obvious is to post on local union Facebook pages - but you never quite know the reaction.

I’ve got some posters printed to go up in local gyms etc, but that’s it for the moment.

• Like 1

Build a working relationship with the RU side. It’s a way to keep their lads fit year round, exposes them to a different style of Rugby and involves actually developing core skills of passing and catching, something lack in every level of RU I’ve ever seen. 

• Like 1

I suggest next pre-season you set up a stall in the town centre on a couple of Saturdays and get some volunteers to man it, wearing club stash etc, and simply hand flyers to and /or sweet talk any likely looking blokes who happen to be passing. Face to face is more persuasive than posters and stuff in the local press as most people miss those. Also, club pub crawl one Friday night with aforementioned flyers and chat is worth a shot.

• Like 1

Run some taster sessions in the community and at local schools or colleges mate.

Once people have actually taken a step to try the game, you are more likely to get players wanting more, often its getting them to take the first step and try the game, so putting yourself and club in places that they will be, rather than travel to, makes the decisions easy for them.

• Like 1

I think schools is the best way if you can get in there. 

Also, don't just target RU players. Most of our best athletes play football. In the heartland areas most lads play league and football not league and union

• Like 2

Don't stick so rigidly to full contact 13's if you can avoid it.

9's, tag, touch etc are all routes in to the game and staying in the game for many people. A full season of full contact 13's is a big commitment for most people and a very big barrier for those wondering if its for them.

Also a good focus on the social side is important. If people have a good time, they will keep coming back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Your question is totally dependent on whether you are talking about juniors and/or seniors.

A seniors only club needs an entirely different proposition than one trying to recruit juniors.

Considering your organised marketing so far will be at gyms, am I right to say, this is a seniors club we are talking about?

15 hours ago, welshmagpie said:

After a season of struggling numbers and being based out of an RU club that struggles for numbers itself. A big recruitment dive is required at my community club in 2019.

Any advice or approaches people have used themselves or know about that work well? The obvious is to post on local union Facebook pages - but you never quite know the reaction.

I’ve got some posters printed to go up in local gyms etc, but that’s it for the moment.

7 hours ago, welshmagpie said:

Correct yes, Seniors. Though the club does have a lovely junior scene they’re far away from being eligible for senior level age wise.

Well here are my two cents.

Get your social scene sorted. You are not recruiting full time professionals, you are recruiting amateurs or players receiving small payments. These players will all share one common theme, they are there to have fun.

I assume your club is reasonably new, and that word CLUB can often be forgotten. Run a well themed event at least once a month after a game. Encourage the ladies down too. Get them involved (doesn’t mean playing btw) and to bring their friends, they can be as much an important part of a club as the players! Get a calendar of good post match social events set out well in advance and promote them. Boat cruise, pub crawl, talent show, cooking contest, pre season trip, post season trip etc.

Only one team can win the comp, the odds are against you. Winning is always fun. Strong clubs are those that ensure the players and supporters are having a good time when they lose.

Edit* heartland or non heartland, this is the ingredient to a successful club. Understand the common (legal 😂) things that the local community you are recruiting from enjoy, then try and add those things as a regular feature of the season.

Edited by Sports Prophet
  • Like 1

On 8/17/2018 at 11:08 PM, welshmagpie said:

I did some work on recruitment for Outlaws this year so I have some reasonable experience of this. A couple of tips: 

1 - Work out who your most committed players are. Plan training sessions around them where possible, and plan socials for the weeks where you know you're gonna have a majority of the committed blokes.

2 - Post stuff on Facebook regularly, you'll reach more people than you think. Pay for facebook advertising, you can price it at £1-£2 a day and if you get one additional member it pays for itself.

3 - If possible, get involved with multiple rugby union clubs. This might mean your coach going doing guest sessions if necessary.

4 - Publish a calendar for EVERYTHING months in advance - include socials, training, games etc.

Edited by Saint 1

If you want to do the social media thing, sign up for Hootsuite.  You can manage your Twitter, Facebook and Instagram from one account and sync posts across platforms.

On browsing through the magazines at my local supermarket today, a headline on the front cover of the current edition of Rugby World magazine (dated October 2018) caught my eye. It mentioned an article in the mag entitled 'How to improve your club - from facilities to funding'. This is obviously aimed at RU clubs, but hopefully may be useful to RL clubs as well.
PS. I only had a quick browse at the article in the shop so I cant say specifically whats in it, but it did seem to cover all aspects of running an amateur club. 

I also found the article shown below at the foot of the page opened by the link shown.

http://www.rugby-league.com/article/52533/this-week-in-grassroots---may-

FREE MARKETING AND PLAYER RECRUITMENT ASSETS
A reminder that ALL grassroots clubs can access a range of support from the Rugby Football League including free marketing and promotion assets and materials to help with player recruitment in schools and the local community.
Marketing and design support has already been provided to a number of clubs.
To access this support, please contact Tom Brindle E: tom.brindle@rfl.co.uk.