RL Backchat - sublime to ridiculous?

OK sublime is probably a bit of an exaggeration but this week's Backchat really plumbed the depths. Is Danny Lockwood anything more than RL's Alan Brazil? Ten years behind the times and dressing like a 40 year old lothario, but with nothing really constructive to say other than what you might hear in any Dewsbury tap room. Sadly the other contributors had nothing more to add, leaving our sport, once again, looking like it is represented by intellectual pygmies.

Or is it just me?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I enjoy backchat. This week was the weakest I have seen, but there have been many good episodes this year.

That said, it is only for older existing RL fans.  To chase the millennial market there needs to be a show more like "Week in MLS", for example:

That means better looking, younger hosts, more energy in general.  Dave woods doesn't even bother shaving for some episodes. I know this would make many established RL fans wince at the superficiality, but I think the sport needs both a show like backchat but also a "funkier" show aimed at a younger audience.

9 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

OK sublime is probably a bit of an exaggeration but this week's Backchat really plumbed the depths. Is Danny Lockwood anything more than RL's Alan Brazil? Ten years behind the times and dressing like a 40 year old lothario, but with nothing really constructive to say other than what you might hear in any Dewsbury tap room. Sadly the other contributors had nothing more to add, leaving our sport, once again, looking like it is represented by intellectual pygmies.

Or is it just me?

I too felt Lockwood was disappointing, in particular I found his complete downer on what I thought was a really intriguing first week of the Middle 8s to be somewhat perplexing. He did come across a bit like a perpetual moaner for whom nothing would ever be good enough.

I also agree with the poster who felt it wasn't chaired particularly well, I don't normally mind Rod but there were too many occasions this week when he invited a guest to contribute on a particular topic before proceeding to talk over them/cut them off before they'd had chance to make their point.

I disagree about the other two though, especially the Aussie bloke, I thought he was a really good new addition. Some weeks you get guests who it feels are largely just saying the same things as previous ones have said for weeks on end, and perhaps counterintuitively, it's often the irregular guests I find myself feeling that way about rather than the likes of Martyn Sadler who I think does a pretty decent job, and some episodes can feel a bit groundhog day as a result. But I rarely, if ever, felt that way about this bloke, I thought he was more direct and concise and brought a slightly different take on things to that which normally seems to be the consensus. I found his contributions interesting and refreshing and agreed with much of what he had to say.

As others have said, some weeks are better than others, but which are which depends largely on personal taste in terms of what you want from a show of this nature. I felt the last two were amongst the better ones, others will disagree and that's fair enough.

As a so called millenial, I would imagine I'm comfortably at the younger end of the spectrum of posters on this forum, but even on the weeks I've not found Backchat particularly insightful, I don't think it's ever come across as amateurish or excessively 'cloth cap-ish' and I think it does our sport more good than harm to have an hour long televised weekly debate show.

That's not to say that evolving it to have a spin that might connect more with the young wouldn't be a good thing provided it doesn't become style over substance, but I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as some have painted it.

9 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Or is it just me?

I thought Damian Irvine came over well and is he involved in Rugby League in any capacity nowadays?

I think at one time he was interested in buying the Bradford Bulls, but obviously that didn't come to fruition.

I do think that the quality of the show varies wildly depending on the guests and the anchor. Studd is often poor in that role and has far too much self importance to let the guests talk and seems more concerned with his own opinions and ideas. As for the guests, whilst I do disagree strongly with the views of some, I do think they highlight what a difficult job RL always has/had placating the many factions. Even what I would consider the dinosaur type views still represent a section of RL. How sizeable is up for debate but you only have to look on here to see that they are there.

42 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

I thought Damian Irvine came over well and is he involved in Rugby League in any capacity nowadays?

He's involved at the Bulls in some capacity which nobody seems to quite be able to define....

32 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Haven’t seen it yet.  Why does FreeSports put it out at the exact same time as Sky’s Golden Point discussion show...?

Indeed, the frequency with which it clashes with both The Golden Point and/or, more concerningly, the live Thursday night game, is infuriating.

It means regularly having to record it and watch after the Thursday game has been played, rendering any chat about that match somewhat redundant, and I always feel like these kind of shows work better when they whet the appetite leading in to a weekend's fixtures rather than popping up part way through.

It can't be helping the viewing figures either and I don't know why Freesports are doing that to themselves because even allowing a bit of time for any post filming production/editing, there are still plenty of slots in which they are not screening any live sport between then and Thursday's Golden Point/live game.

10 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Or is it just me?

Ive said enough about it before but the setting is no good.  

The best one I’ve seen for control, delivery and interest has been the programme with Mal Reilly.  

The worst has been with Rod Studd.

A positive is that’s it’s another RL presence on TV.  Needs a refresh ASAP.

10 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Any chat show filmed in an empty bar (why is it in a bar and not a studio?) with a load of antiquated, bitter old men with little positives to say isn’t for me. Thankfully, this rubbish is barely viewed by anyone. 

That's a bit, er, bitter. :biggrin:

43 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Ive said enough about it before but the setting is no good.  

The best one I’ve seen for control, delivery and interest has been the programme with Mal Reilly.  

The worst has been with Rod Studd.

A positive is that’s it’s another RL presence on TV.  Needs a refresh ASAP.

Surely that last bit ultimately overrides everything else - it’s an hour long rugby league discussion show on telly !

9 hours ago, Mr Plow said:

Depends who they have on. Some weeks it's great others like this weeks isn't so great. I don't know who Danny lockwood and Gary Schofield keep getting invited back on, if like to see younger journalists and more ex player pundits 

Any Rugby League chat show with either Lockwood or Schofield invovled is a minus for me.

2 people stuck in time warp as far as I'm concerned

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Surely that last bit ultimately overrides everything else - it’s an hour long rugby league discussion show on telly !

Agreed.  Big plus.

My comments don’t just reflect my opinion though.  Two friends, who’ve never even been to a game, both commented on it looking dated.  If it’s plain to them, it’s plain enough to other newcomers.

It reminded me of when my sisters and wife are together talking.....

At the end of which they have all had their say, talking over each other, non the wiser of what the other has said and I'm non the wiser on what they talked about or whether it made any sense... 

If the aim of a TV chat show is to generate some strong responses, all I can say is that this week's show seems to have worked well, to judge by the thread so far.

Inevitably some guests on the show will be more to our liking than others, depending on our own point of view.

For those who haven't seen what the controversy is all about, this week's show can now be viewed on our website at http://www.totalrl.com/watch-rugby-league-back-chat-show-23-on-totalrl-com-now/

The producer of the show, I'm reliably informed, has read this thread.

34 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Out of interest John, what are the viewing figures please?

Even if he can't produce the viewing figures, it should be possible to check how many times it has been streamed/downloaded from TRL after the broadcast.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I have watched all of this series and enjoyed the majority of them. Unfortunately this episode fell short. The only panelist that I learned anything new from this week was the former Cronulla Sharks chairman. Having them all talk over each other was not a good look.

The first topic being the qualifies should have ignited the interest from the off, but when Danny Lockwood was asked "if his pulse had been racing with excitement" by the comp he answered with a big fat  "No" and proceeded to talk it down. For a lot of people it promises to be the most fascinating relegation/promotion battle for years. Talk about talking the sport down !  Danny is a promoters worst nightmare. With friends like Danny who needs.....

Archived