Sign in to follow this  
Jim from Oz

1968 RL World Cup Final, Australia vs France.

50 years ago this year … worth remembering how France was one of the RL world's top teams.

Some fascinating highlights of the game here, including pre-game scenes in both dressing rooms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYxstPPkmEQ

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

Thanks for this! Will watch it as soon as I have time.

55,000 spectators (60,000 +😊 with the "Members") at the Sydney Cricket Ground. 

2 hours ago, Jim from Oz said:

Sorry, no idea. Who is he, anyway? Thanks 

When I first started watching rugby league in the early 1970s, the BBC commentator was Eddie Waring.  Although he had a notable record in the game, by then he had become a parody of himself.  His commentaries, and unfortunately the game itself by association, were mocked by impressionists on prime time television.

Keith Macklin was the anti Eddie Waring.  His commentaries were intelligent and a joy to listen to.  On BBC TV he presented other sports including the dark side but his rugby league commentaries were restricted to the radio.  When ITV began to show rugby league he fronted the programmes.

There's just SO much that's right about that, I remember seeing that at one of the film shows/quizzes that Eddie Wareing used to put on for player's benefit year's sometime circa late68 early69.

I don't know who the voice over was but it definitely wasn't Keith Macklin.

• Thanks 1

I've seen this before and it's fantastic.

Re Keith Macklin, my early memories of him were doing the football on ITV on Sunday afternoons although I know he wrote at least one book on RL.

Just now, latchford albion said:

When I first started watching rugby league in the early 1970s, the BBC commentator was Eddie Waring.  Although he had a notable record in the game, by then he had become a parody of himself.  His commentaries, and unfortunately the game itself by association, were mocked by impressionists on prime time television.

I think you need an early bath!

• Haha 1

He wrote 3 books on RL: The history of Rugby League Football ,1962 The Rugby League Game 1967, The story of Rugby League 1984. The third borrowed extensively from the other two if I remember correctly.He also wrote quite a good autobiography: A Two Horse Town 50 years in broadcasting 2007 . My own recollections are also of YTVs football coverage in the late 60s early 70s which seemed to be nothing but LUFC with him commentating/gushing over. It was only in later years I discovered his extensive RL background.