Sign in to follow this  
JM2010

Best time for CC final

With the Super 8s or the race for the play offs at this time of year does the CC Final get a bit overshadowed?

There are calls for it to be kept where it is or moved back to May with arguments for and against both options.

Does it have to be on a bank holiday weekend?

Could it be played in June with shorter gaps between rounds to keep momentum and avoid it having to start too early?

Should it be moved back to May or kept as it is?

What do people think the best time of year would be?

I don't see why it has to be on a BH weekend. It is one game played on a Saturday: I can't imagine many folk travel home on the Monday.

A weekend or two after the FA Cup final would be fine. Any later than that and you risk clashing with the football World Cup/Euros every two years.

• Like 1

May, definitely. I’d swap it with the Magic Weekend. 

The season is heavily stacked at the back end of the year, meaning teams have to peak then, so to speak. Whereas, a Cup Final in May means teams have to peak in May and then peak again in August/September/October. 

8 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

May, definitely. I’d swap it with the Magic Weekend. 

The season is heavily stacked at the back end of the year, meaning teams have to peak then, so to speak. Whereas, a Cup Final in May means teams have to peak in May and then peak again in August/September/October. 

I like the idea of having it in may again but i would still like to keep magic....so are you suggesting we ditch magic or move it to another date?

I would move it back to May. Having to wait two weeks inbetween the end of the regular season and the 8s and again having to wait two weeks until the 8s restart again halts the momentum when the season is at the business end.

August is fine if you’re doing the best for all of the teams competing. May finals would mean the earlier rounds being played out of season for the community clubs, you know the ones who develop players for 10 years before handing them over to the Professionals

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

I was just going to ask a question relating to that.

When does the cup currently begin?

Already out of season - end of January, a May final would push this back to before Christmas which would be ridiculous and not give the community teams a full off season

May? I remember how poor the early televised rounds looked back then, with clubs still in pre-season training. With the BBC streaming a match from every round now, that'd look even worse. Just because May was good during Winter RL didn't make it good during Summer RL.

However, the BBC have frequently said they are amenable to re-scheduling the Cup, and it would maybe work around the end of the school Summer term, so families aren't off on their holidays. Keeping it on a Saturday means it doesn't have to be a bank holiday weekend. So June/July, which would give a more even gap between Magic/Cup Final/Grand Final, as well as cutting the length of time between Cup rounds.

Edited by Futtocks

13 minutes ago, chuffer said:

I like the idea of having it in may again but i would still like to keep magic....so are you suggesting we ditch magic or move it to another date?

Keep it. Definitely. CC Final on the May weekend we usually stage the Magic Weekend and the Magic Weekend on the August Bank Holiday (or any other weekend) in August. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Futtocks said:

May? I remember how poor the televised rounds looked back then, with clubs still in pre-season training. With the BBC streaming a match from every round now, that'd look even worse. Just because May was good during Winter RL didn't make it good during Summer RL.

However, the BBC have frequently said they are amenable to re-scheduling the Cup, and it would maybe work around the end of the school Summer term, so families aren't off on their holidays. Keeping it on a Saturday means it doesn't have to be a bank holiday weekend. So June/July, which would give a more even gap between Magic/Cup Final/Grand Final, as well as cutting the length of time between Cup rounds.

I was thinking maybe late June/early July. Wouldn't have to start any earlier if they just shortened the gap between rounds

• Like 1

The last weekend of June or the start of July works best now I think. That is much further away from the Grand Final and playoffs but late enough so that the Challenge Cup early rounds don't become a pre-season competition like when the final was the start of May. That also gives us a big event half way through the season and a Grand Final at the end 

Edited by Damien
  • Like 2

The rest of July and the whole of August could then be dedicated to the race for the play off spots without the need for any players to be rested

Any weekend when there is a train service would be an improvement,.

• Haha 1

Dosnt everyone except the RFL want it in May? Why do we have it the same weekend as Leeds and Reading Festival?

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

Already out of season - end of January, a May final would push this back to before Christmas which would be ridiculous and not give the community teams a full off season

You could just skip a year so that the community game is pretty much always playing a year ahead (if we keep the same format)

I.e play rounds one and two in September/October, rounds three four and five spread through January and February, round 6, quarters and semi's March and April, and Final May-day bank holiday.

55 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

Dosnt everyone except the RFL want it in May?

No they don’t. 

2 hours ago, Futtocks said:

May? I remember how poor the early televised rounds looked back then, with clubs still in pre-season training. With the BBC streaming a match from every round now, that'd look even worse. Just because May was good during Winter RL didn't make it good during Summer RL.

That's true, but it was also a period in which the SL season didn't start until March/April. You could comfortably have R4 early March, R5 end March, QFs mid-April and semis first weekend of May. I think I would be happy with early June but May could be done without it being a pre-season comp.

2 hours ago, Davo5 said:

That would require relocating not just the Challenge Cup but the entire code to somewhere like Japan or Germany. :tongue:

• Haha 3

31 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

That would require relocating not just the Challenge Cup but the entire code to somewhere like Japan or Germany. :tongue:

Ah...surely another reason for expansion beyond our shores...hopefully one day we can have a cup final in a city with access and infrastructure!

2 hours ago, Davo5 said:

That’s Leigh stuffed.

5 hours ago, Davo5 said:

That’s an important point. So no to bank holidays, when train companies do a load of engineering works.

Magic - May

CC semis double header - June

Final - July (before summer holidays)

No major events in August

Super League playoffs - September 

Grand Final - October 

Edited by Man of Kent

2nd week in May before the FA cup final which is now later in May, don't care if clubs have to play CC games early doors, it's the same for everyone, might be the case some SL get tucked up and teams lower down the tree have a better chance.

Scrap the failed 'magic' weekend and the extra Easter game which is a disgrace as it only puts players welfare at risk and brings about a lower level of rugby.