Sign in to follow this  
IM2

Wembley Crowd

35 minutes ago, Lobbygobbler said:

If the lower tier (40k) and club wembley (17k) are full that would be a crowd of 57k, which would be ok and look better on tv than the patchy 70 odd k last year.

I recall an RU Heineken cup final in Dublin a few yrs ago at Landsdowne Rd with two French clubs in the final and it was half empty - and Landsdowne Rd only held about 60k

The main problem with that though is that the lower tier only holds 34k not 40k so with club wembley it is more like 50k and seen as they haven't put top tier on sale I would say the attendance will be around that. 

http://www.wembleystadium.com/Press/Presspack/Stats-and-Facts

In 2011, the England v Australia game drew a crowd of 42,344 at Wembley. The upper tier and part of the middle tier was closed (behind one of the posts), and this is what is looks like:

I think general opinion is that the crowd will exceed 42,000, and I assume that the RFL will strategically position fans to make the stadium look as full as possible for TV.

Also, the stadium map shows that the upper tier is now completely closed, so it looks like everyone has been reallocated.

Edited by Chris22

1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

when other things are not filling up the social calendar, always used to go when it was at the end of april, too busy at this time of year

The problem you have around there is Easter being at some point through April, so still the chances of holidays, weddings etc.

15 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

In 2011, the England v Australia game drew a crowd of 42,344 at Wembley. The upper tier and part of the middle tier was closed (behind one of the posts), and this is what is looks like:

About 3 and half minutes in, one of the most retarded offloads I've ever seen, if you can call it an offload, sort of just handed the ball to the Australian player... Let's not see any of that from catalans in the final!

2 minutes ago, philipw said:

The problem you have around there is Easter being at some point through April, so still the chances of holidays, weddings etc.

The May Day Bank Holiday was only introduced into England in 1978. Wakefield v Widnes in 1979  was the first on what became the 'traditional' Bank Holiday weekend for the CC Final. It used to be the first bank holiday weekend in May, it only landed in April if the 1st May landed on the Sunday or Monday after the game on the Saturday, occasionally it would be the weekend before or after the bank holiday but not that often.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Padge said:

The May Day Bank Holiday was only introduced into England in 1978. Wakefield v Widnes in 1979  was the first on what became the 'traditional' Bank Holiday weekend for the CC Final. It used to be the first bank holiday weekend in May, it only landed in April if the 1st May landed on the Sunday or Monday after the game on the Saturday, occasionally it would be the weekend before or after the bank holiday but not that often.

I remember it being in late April a few times in the late 80s/early 90s IIRC

Two more tickets have just been shifted as I'll be going down with my son.  It's his first Challenge Cup Final and my first one since the old Wembley.  I would like Catalans to win but my son supports Warrington and whenever I take him to one of the big games like a Semi or Grand Final they always lose.  I'd just like him to see Warrington win for once.

Also, the ticket website is a bit confusing.  In some of the bays that are supposed to have tickets left you can't buy any and in some of the bays that are marked as Sold Out there are still tickets available.

• Like 5

Upper tier is open, as I'll be sat in it (plus 6 other family members), and I have checked with the RFL. Only people being offered the upgrade are in the upper tier towards the 'Catalan' end. You can also upgrade your seat to a club Wembley seat if your willing to pay the extra.

I love cup final day. It's a pity more don't feel the same way.

• Like 11

37 minutes ago, philipw said:

I remember it being in late April a few times in the late 80s/early 90s IIRC

As I said it could be in late April if the 1st or 2nd of May fell on the Monday, WIgan v Halifax 1988 was 30th April which made it the bank holiday weekend, I also said that did occasionally fall on the weekend either side, Wigan v Warrington in 90 was the weekend before and v Saints in 91 April 27th was the weekend before. 

I didn't say it was always that bank holiday weekend or that it always was in May, it can be in April but onthe bank holiday weekend, but in most cases it was from 79 onwards.

I

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Sales just under 30,000

Source. 🙄

I went in 2016, flew over from Aus, had a great a time. Sat next to a bloke from Exeter. If you can get 40k it will look fine on TV. Just hope that the actual game is a cracker in front of BBC viewers. 

7 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Sad thing is if saints had won the semi they would have sold 40k tickets! 

In your dreams.

How hard would it have been for Ralph to ride around South Kensington for a week on a bicycle with a stripey top and fake moustache on, handing out tickets free with every baguette or onion purchased? Once again a lack of marketing nous from the honchos at Red Hall.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'd love to be able to go to Wembley and support the game, shout for #TeamDracs  (love an underdog story) and have a good time meeting up with others. Fed up of reading all the it'll look terrible on telly type posts.

If i wasnt on holiday I would be there with my son.. my wife and daughter may also have come along to this one... Would have been shouting for Warrington as Warrington fans but one of those rare occasions where I dont mind a loss as a catalans win would do wonders IMHO.. 

I think you can make reasons for and against pretty much any time of year if you really want to.. what suits one person will not suit another.. what you do need to do is make the best of what you have and the RFL are not the best at that.. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, amm said:

I'd love to be able to go to Wembley and support the game, shout for #TeamDracs  (love an underdog story) and have a good time meeting up with others. Fed up of reading all the it'll look terrible on telly type posts.

Do it then

1 minute ago, philipw said:

Do it then

I can't this weekend.....obviously I would if I could

50 minutes ago, amm said:

indeed, at some stage, people just have to let it go, it is what it is for this year and there will be plenty to enjoy about it (hopefully for me as a Wire fan!).

• Like 1