Sign in to follow this  
IM2

Wembley Crowd

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, Just Browny said:

How hard would it have been for Ralph to ride around South Kensington for a week on a bicycle with a stripey top and fake moustache on, handing out tickets free with every baguette or onion purchased? Once again a lack of marketing nous from the honchos at Red Hall.

To be fair to Ralph, JB, possibly harder than you imagine.  The thing is a string of best Breton onions or a baguette of typical baguette length both have the capacity to get jammed in your bicycle chain, if your concentration slips for just a second, and then, to coin a phrase, where are you?  Up la creek merde sans paddle, I would humbly suggest!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Johnoco said:

People also  have short memories, its not that long ago it was moved to late August as late April/early May was too near the start of the season.

Move it to end of May then!

Some people didn't like starting the season with back to back Challenge Cup rounds then it SL. Didn't happen every year but happened a lot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, saddleworth said:

I bet you are a "stay" supporter into the bargain.

Try again. This time, read it back to make sure it makes sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

With friends like these...

 

I saw that. What a plonker. I'd disagree with it whoever said it, but coming from the man who oversaw Salford's complete hollowing out into a shell of a club playing before risible crowds in an unloved stadium bringing absolutely nothing to the game beyond its own survival, it's just a crashing lack of self-awareness.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He also tweets that he loves to go fishing on Twitter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He'll have been on the red wine. He's best ignored after 9pm. 

Edited by Dave T

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/20/2018 at 8:11 PM, Chris22 said:

Whilst it's easy to criticise the RFL, it may not be that easy to persuade French expats to back a Catalan team.

Rugby League:  World Champions at making ridiculous excuses.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

With friends like these...

 

Yeah who wants self sufficent competetive clubs with average gates of 8k and can get 5 figures for big games. 

Lets fill the league with teams of journeymen playing for clubs always a week from liqudation playing infront of 2k

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

With friends like these...

 

That's like a spoof account. He sounds like a convert to a religion who is trying to be more devout than those he learnt from. Idiot

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Celt said:

Rugby League:  World Champions at making ridiculous excuses.

Yes, there's always a reason. (Despite most of these things applying to every other sporting event)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Move it to end of May then!

Some people didn't like starting the season with back to back Challenge Cup rounds then it SL. Didn't happen every year but happened a lot. 

The crowds weren't that great then either, so I aren't sure moving it would solve that issue. Late August is a bad weekend for me personally BTW.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Dave T said:

He'll have been on the red wine. He's best ignored after 9pm. 

Yes. It goes to his head, makes him forget...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

 

thats a fantastic response... except appointing Steve Mcnamamara (and happy to now admit I may have been wrong on that one) Catalans do very little to make you not like them!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Of course, one advantage of a small crowd is that there'll be room for those of us who are perhaps somewhat prosperously built to, um, spread a bit!

Manspreading alert!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Padge said:

Everything about it is far better than the rest of the ground, be interesting to see how they cope with a lot more people in there though.  For the World Cup it was about two thirds full in our area.

Is there plenty of Cask Ale available? 🍻 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many years ago it was regular to have in excess of 90,000 at the Challenge Cup Final, so with the "new" stadium" having a slightly less capacity why these days is it nowhere near a full capacity for the game ?

Probably many reasons why but let me just put forward one of them.

Wembley was always an occasion where the vast majority of spectators were neutrals who had bought their tickets well in advance and went to the game irrespective of who was playing. Furthermore, when originally planning their journey they at least still had hope that their team might be there. However, now that the competition is seeded and thus limited the number of teams who realistically have a chance of even getting into the latter rounds never mind the final, could many supporters have lost interest in the Challenge Cup as they know it is really now just a weekend in London, which can be very expensive. When looking at the various teams who have played in even the quarter-finals of the event over the years there is a significant decrease to the total number over the past few seasons as compared with times gone by.

Further to that, with several teams now making it through to multiple finals, could the fans of those teams now not have the same thrill of seeing their team at Wembley as they used to do when they did it for the first couple of times and therefore once again think "Been there, done that" ?

With an "open" cup draw it at least gave some of the lesser clubs hope that one day it might be their time, yet these days they virtually have no chance.

Yes, Oldham and Whitehaven might currently be in League One but should they ever play at Wembley - neither ever have done - there just wouldn't be enough tickets available.

So, let's make winning the Challenge Cup more available to all - and possibly increase spectator interest - by returning to the draw as it used to be.

 

Edited by RL does what Sky says

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Many years ago it was regular to have in excess of 90,000 at the Challenge Cup Final, so with the "new" stadium" having a slightly less capacity why these days is it nowhere near a full capacity for the game ?

Probably many reasons why but let me just put forward one of them.

Wembley was always an occasion where the vast majority of spectators were neutrals who had bought their tickets well in advance and went to the game irrespective of who was playing. Furthermore, when originally planning their journey they at least still had hope that their team might be there. However, now that the competition is seeded and thus limited the number of teams who realistically have a chance of even getting into the latter rounds never mind the final, could many supporters have lost interest in the Challenge Cup as they know it is really now just a weekend in London, which can be very expensive. When looking at the various teams who have played in even the quarter-finals of the event over the years there is a significant decrease to the total number over the past few seasons as compared with times gone by.

Further to that, with several teams now making it through to multiple finals, could the fans of those teams now not have the same thrill of seeing their team at Wembley as they used to do when they did it for the first couple of times and therefore once again think "Been there, done that" ?

With an "open" cup draw it at least gave some of the lesser clubs hope that one day it might be their time, yet these days they virtually have no chance.

Yes, Oldham and Whitehaven might currently be in League One but should they ever play at Wembley - neither ever have done - there just wouldn't be enough tickets available.

So, let's make winning the Challenge Cup more available to all - and possibly increase spectator interest - by returning to the draw as it used to be.

 

I know Ive used this anology before on here but we are not in the 70's and 80's where a pit town business man can tap up a few Welsh union players with a new kitchen and a second hand car and go on to win the Challenge Cup.

It really is silly comparing 70's RL to todays situation.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Many years ago it was regular to have in excess of 90,000 at the Challenge Cup Final, so with the "new" stadium" having a slightly less capacity why these days is it nowhere near a full capacity for the game ?

Probably many reasons why but let me just put forward one of them.

Wembley was always an occasion where the vast majority of spectators were neutrals who had bought their tickets well in advance and went to the game irrespective of who was playing. Furthermore, when originally planning their journey they at least still had hope that their team might be there. However, now that the competition is seeded and thus limited the number of teams who realistically have a chance of even getting into the latter rounds never mind the final, could many supporters have lost interest in the Challenge Cup as they know it is really now just a weekend in London, which can be very expensive. When looking at the various teams who have played in even the quarter-finals of the event over the years there is a significant decrease to the total number over the past few seasons as compared with times gone by.

Further to that, with several teams now making it through to multiple finals, could the fans of those teams now not have the same thrill of seeing their team at Wembley as they used to do when they did it for the first couple of times and therefore once again think "Been there, done that" ?

With an "open" cup draw it at least gave some of the lesser clubs hope that one day it might be their time, yet these days they virtually have no chance.

Yes, Oldham and Whitehaven might currently be in League One but should they ever play at Wembley - neither ever have done - there just wouldn't be enough tickets available.

So, let's make winning the Challenge Cup more available to all - and possibly increase spectator interest - by returning to the draw as it used to be.

 

I'm not really sure the facts hold that argument up.. a few limited teams have dominated the cup... a few others have managed to make to the final but its not a huge amount.. when you look at the teams that did get through who are "not of the norm" today they were team that were doing well in general that year anyway.. its always the better teams that do well. 

There is no seeding in the draw, when the teams come in it is an open draw and luck still plays a part (as we have seen with the likes of tolouse getting to the later stages and a champ Hull KR etc) but the teams just come in at different stages which in this day and age is fair.. if the super league clubs came in at round 1 it would be farcical and unworkable as a concept and as much as a team may get knocked out early against each other there would be many more embarassing score lines.. 

Club Wins Last win Runners-up Last final lost Total finals
1 Wigancolours.svg Wigan 19 2013 13 2017 32
2 Rhinoscolours.svg Leeds 13 2015 12 2012 25
3 Saintscolours.svg St. Helens 12 2008 9 2002 21
4 Wolvescolours.svg Warrington 8 2012 9 2016 17
5 Widnes colours.svg Widnes 7 1984 6 1993 13
6 Giantscolours.svg Huddersfield 6 1953 4 2009 10
7 Hullcolours.svg Hull 5 2017 12 2013 17
8 Faxcolours.svg Halifax 5 1987 7 1988 12
9 Bullscolours.svg Bradford 5 2003 6 2001 11
10 Wcatscolours.svg Wakefield 5 1963 3 1979 8
11 Castleford colours.svg Castleford 4 1986 2 2014 6
12 Oldhamcolours.svg Oldham 3 1927 4 1926 7
13 Fevcolours.svg Featherstone Rovers 3 1983 2 1974 5
14 Swintoncolours.svg Swinton 3 1928 2 1932 5
15 Batley colours.svg Batley 3 1901 0 3
16 Hunsletcolours.svg Hunslet § 2 1934 2 1965 4
17 Ramscolours.svg Dewsbury 2 1943 1 1929 3
18 Leigh colours.svg Leigh 2 1971 0 2
19 Broughton Rangers 2 1911 0 2
20 HKRcolours.svg Hull Kingston Rovers 1 1980 6 2015 7
21 Redscolours.svg Salford 1 1938 6 1969 7
22 Barrowcolours.svg Barrow 1 1955 4 1967 5
23 Workingtoncolours.svg Workington Town 1 1952 2 1958 3
24 Bradford F.C. § 1 1906 1 1898 2
25 Sheffeagles colours.svg Sheffield Eagles 1 1998 0 1
26 Rochdale colours.svg Rochdale Hornets 1 1922 0 1
27 Catalanscolours.svg Catalans Dragons 0 1 2007 1
28 Broncoscolours.png London Broncos 0 1 1999 1
29 Cougscolours.svg Keighley 0 1 1937 1
30 Balmain colours.svg York § 0 1 1931 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, fair replies to my suggestion about the cup draw - although I wasn't even going back as far the 70s to compare the statistics - but at least it was an idea about how to possibly attract bigger crowds to the final ... what's yours ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


League Express - Online Now

League Express - Every Monday



Rugby League World - Sept 2018

Rugby League World - Sept 2018

Rugby League Books On Sale Here