Sign in to follow this  
IM2

Move CCF to May at OT and switch GF to Wembley & have Magic in August

Recommended Posts

For me I would switch GF to Wembley and CCF to OT.

CCF usually gets the 70k mark and being more local should get a bigger crowd. GF is selling out year and after year and more of an event with good music acts etc so think we could get over 80k regularly. Keeps us at Wembley as well.

Magic im not a fan but if needed for TV & clubs move to August.

I would then add on season opener as double headers one in Yorks & the other in N West involving our top 8 clubs.

Think we could build on this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, IM2 said:

For me I would switch GF to Wembley and CCF to OT.

CCF usually gets the 70k mark and being more local should get a bigger crowd. GF is selling out year and after year and more of an event with good music acts etc so think we could get over 80k regularly. Keeps us at Wembley as well.

Magic im not a fan but if needed for TV & clubs move to August.

I would then add on season opener as double headers one in Yorks & the other in N West involving our top 8 clubs.

Think we could build on this. 

Wouldn’t there be a problem with fans sorting accommodation with only a weeks notice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

GF crowds are growing and CCF is falling. plus GF is our biggest showpiece and one that should have interest

itss as hard to get a hotel in manchester as it is london

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Old Trafford is close to Manchester City Centre and has decent travel links into the city of Manchester. 

St James’ Park is on the doorstep to the city and is accessible by rail from the North West and Yorkshire. 

Wembley is not that close to the city centre type areas in London, the trains are invariable undergoing engineering works when the Cup Final is scheduled and it’s an expensive city and ground. 

Maybe there’s a reason people don’t attend the Challenge Cup Final in good number anymore. There’s more to a these things than just the eighty minutes rugby. 

The trains are obviously a big problem. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe it's that 15 years ago the GF was not so well established, and there was no Magic. 

Further the economic reality of life is the north is struggling compared to the south so for some the cost of a hotel and travel means the final isn't affordable. 

August is holiday season too so not the best time to hold it Tbh people are away or short of money as it's a slow month for many people ..... I would push it into September... Make it near the end of the season. Like Football does. That way There's a lot of excitement if a team can double up at Wembley and OT. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Other sports don’t have trouble selling out Wembley transport is not the problem

Euston station closing on the day of the CCF doesn't help though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Other sports don’t have trouble selling out Wembley transport is not the problem

How many other sports use Wembley when there’s engineering works at Euston? 

Doesn’t happen for the FA Cup Final, England games or the NFL. We use Wembley the weekend there’s always engineering works. It definitely has an effect. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Old Trafford is close to Manchester City Centre and has decent travel links into the city of Manchester. 

St James’ Park is on the doorstep to the city and is accessible by rail from the North West and Yorkshire. 

Wembley is not that close to the city centre type areas in London, the trains are invariable undergoing engineering works when the Cup Final is scheduled and it’s an expensive city and ground. 

Maybe there’s a reason people don’t attend the Challenge Cup Final in good number anymore. There’s more to a these things than just the eighty minutes rugby. 

The trains are obviously a big problem. 

yes cos they do all their repairs to the lines in august. its supposedly the quietest time of year

given spurs, england, nfl etc all play at wembley not sure how its more difficult to get to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IM2 said:

GF crowds are growing and CCF is falling. plus GF is our biggest showpiece and one that should have interest

itss as hard to get a hotel in manchester as it is london

 

Yes but a much smaller % would/will get hotels for a game in Manchester. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We need Eddie Hearn to take over the CCF, GF and Magic and get the stadiums full and make them into big events on the sports calendar. The RFL only market to the M62. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IM2 said:

yes cos they do all their repairs to the lines in august. its supposedly the quietest time of year

given spurs, england, nfl etc all play at wembley not sure how its more difficult to get to.

It’s difficult to get to because the one weekend of the year that The RFaiL uses Wembley for their Cup Final, there’s always engineering work. 

It’s a massive pain to get away from and back onto the tube at Wembley Park, I’ve waited an hour and a half between the game finishing and getting on a Tube when I’ve been for Football. It’s a poorly planned stadium, in which there’s one way back to the Wembley Park Tube station and back into London. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, phiggins said:

Euston station closing on the day of the CCF doesn't help though.

Meh, its an hour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

It’s difficult to get to because the one weekend of the year that The RFaiL uses Wembley for their Cup Final, there’s always engineering work. 

It’s a massive pain to get away from and back onto the tube at Wembley Park, I’ve waited an hour and a half between the game finishing and getting on a Tube when I’ve been for Football. It’s a poorly planned stadium, in which there’s one way back to the Wembley Park Tube station and back into London. 

I've never had it take close to an hour and half to get away from wembley.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

It’s a massive pain to get away from and back onto the tube at Wembley Park, I’ve waited an hour and a half between the game finishing and getting on a Tube when I’ve been for Football. It’s a poorly planned stadium, in which there’s one way back to the Wembley Park Tube station and back into London. 

Absolute rubbish...the overground gets to Maryleborne in less than 9 minutes, and there are other stations just a couple of minutes walk away 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Have you been when there’s 80,000 plus people there? 

I was there in May for the FA Cup Final - took me less than 10 minutes to get on a train. And there were just less than 88k there.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

The trains are obviously a big problem. 

I don't agree. There are many ways to get to Wembley by train  not involving Euston.   Large numbers drive south then complete the journey using TFL transport.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One week's notice for a Wembley Grand Final wouldn't work IMO. You'd certainly bump up the CC final crowd, but the Grand Final crowd would go down.

(Assuming the finals are between two northern clubs of course).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, philipw said:

Absolute rubbish...the overground gets to Maryleborne in less than 9 minutes, and there are other stations just a couple of minutes walk away 

Yeah, but it’s not rubbish. It’s true. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, philipw said:

I was there in May for the FA Cup Final - took me less than 10 minutes to get on a train. And there were just less than 88k there.

Cool. I’ve been to numerous England football Internationals where people leave at once rather than one set of fans leaving, as you’d expect in a Final as one set tend to be celebrating so it’s taken as long as an hour and a half. 

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

I don't agree. There are many ways to get to Wembley by train  not involving Euston.   Large numbers drive south then complete the journey using TFL transport.

Why do some have to do that? Because they can’t get a train the whole way into London. Some will choose to do what you say but others will be forced into it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Have you been when there’s 80,000 plus people there? 

Yes. Numerous times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Cool. I’ve been to numerous England football Internationals where people leave at once rather than one set of fans leaving, as you’d expect in a Final as one set tend to be celebrating so it’s taken as long as an hour and a half. 

Why do some have to do that? Because they can’t get a train the whole way into London. Some will choose to do what you say but others will be forced into it. 

From where do all these Euston users come from?

 

 

Edited by JohnM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, M j M said:

One week's notice for a Wembley Grand Final wouldn't work IMO. You'd certainly bump up the CC final crowd, but the Grand Final crowd would go down.

(Assuming the finals are between two northern clubs of course).

I think there is merit to having the GF at Wembley and probably the CC final at Old Trafford.

If efforts could be made to position the GF as a yearly celebration of RL rather than simply the SL final, convincing people to go down every year and book early every year. I know thats what the CC final should be doing but the GF has more pull and a i think a super-bowl week(end) type atmosphere is probably more suitable to the GF.

If the game had ever been able to get even a modicum of success in creating a rep concept going taking over London for a weekend with a rep game on a friday, a day of events and partying on the saturday and the GF in the evening would be a great end to the season and really position the GF as a massive national event.

It would probably take some investment and a 5 year plan to get to that point though and thats not something we are really any good at.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


League Express - Online Now

League Express - Every Monday



Rugby League World - Sept 2018

Rugby League World - Sept 2018

Rugby League Books On Sale Here