Sign in to follow this  
Lowdesert

Belgrade - Entry to League 1

Recommended Posts

Looks like Red Star Belgrade, backed by an Australian into civil engineering businesses, is looking to enter the league and have made enquiries.  Only getting this 2nd hand, but have read bits over the last couple of years.  Anyone else heard anything?

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Looks like Red Star Belgrade, backed by an Australian into civil engineering businesses, is looking to enter the league and have made enquiries.  Only getting this 2nd hand, but have read bits over the last couple of years.  Anyone else heard anything?

I've not heard anything but I hope it's true, I would very much welcome it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've heard the odd little suggestion of this over the last few months but there never seems to be any evidence to back it up. I must say I like the idea though! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was an article in the most recent Forty20 by a bloke who lives in Serbia who says they’ve made enquiries. I don’t know if there’s any truth in it but it seems it’s come from there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope it isn't Red Star. A combined Belgrade yes. The bitterness and rivalry between them and Partizan would mean several Serbs unable or unwilling to play for the enemy.

Still. Would advance the cause of Toronto as a traditional heartland club no end.

Edited by dixiedean
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, dixiedean said:

Hope it isn't Red Star. A combined Belgrade yes. The bitterness and rivalry between them and Partizan would mean several Serbs unable or unwilling to play for the enemy.

Still. Would advance the cause of Toronto as a traditional heartland club no end.

There is bitterness.  I worked with a few Serbs.  Some of the stories they told me were heartbreaking.  They didn’t have many good words to say about Tony Blair either!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

There was an article in the most recent Forty20 by a bloke who lives in Serbia who says they’ve made enquiries. I don’t know if there’s any truth in it but it seems it’s come from there. 

That was me , thats were they are aiming for

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

This will have Parky and schofield in meltdown if true

Aren’t they one and the same person?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lowdesert said:

There is bitterness.  I worked with a few Serbs.  Some of the stories they told me were heartbreaking.  They didn’t have many good words to say about Tony Blair either!

 

Its just Red Star , they are not big fans of the un

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, iangidds said:

Its just Red Star , they are not big fans of the un

They were big fans of home brewed Calvados.

Just the one team then Ian?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes just Red Star , they have a really good plan ; i hope they see it through

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, iangidds said:

Yes just Red Star , they have a really good plan ; i hope they see it through

They’ll need one, especially for all that travelling.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, iangidds said:

That was me , thats were they are aiming for

There’s been very little about this other than your article. 

There’s loads of questions to be asked. What ground would they play in? What crowds do they get? What standard are they as a team?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

There’s been very little about this other than your article. 

There’s loads of questions to be asked. What ground would they play in? What crowds do they get? What standard are they as a team?

Its a very serious bid is all i can say really ,stadium is agreed in principle ; the crowds are low but we firmly believe there will be very strong intrest in the game . The owner will be on Rugby am soon i think

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There has been a bit about the guy looking to get red star in to league 1.

Good luck any one trying to grow the game, but from memory this wasnt a toronto type situation and more a club who would be operating at an L1 level.

Personally I dont think L1 is functioning well as a league and would question whether it was capable of supporting an overseas club on an on-going basis and i would worry a club planning at operating at that level in Belgrade would be stuck somewhere between Scylla and Charybdis with the bigger clubs being too big for an L1 level overseas club to compete with and the smaller ones being far too small to sustain an overseas club. There is a huge distance between West Wales and Bradford, trying to fit in there would be very difficult.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

 Wouldn't it be better for them to go through the French system for starters to establish what playing level they are at, and less travel expenses.Just saying

 

Possibly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, iangidds said:

Its a very serious bid is all i can say really ,stadium is agreed in principle ; the crowds are low but we firmly believe there will be very strong intrest in the game . The owner will be on Rugby am soon i think

That would tie in in what Alex Simmonds was saying last week on Rugby am about going to Serbia to make a program

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, scotchy1 said:

There has been a bit about the guy looking to get red star in to league 1.

Good luck any one trying to grow the game, but from memory this wasnt a toronto type situation and more a club who would be operating at an L1 level.

Personally I dont think L1 is functioning well as a league and would question whether it was capable of supporting an overseas club on an on-going basis and i would worry a club planning at operating at that level in Belgrade would be stuck somewhere between Scylla and Charybdis with the bigger clubs being too big for an L1 level overseas club to compete with and the smaller ones being far too small to sustain an overseas club. There is a huge distance between West Wales and Bradford, trying to fit in there would be very difficult.

They are starting at the bottom with a strong aim to succeed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The travel would be better than Toronto. Flight time is about 4 hours and it is only 1 hour different so the jet lag wouldn't be a problem. Travel costs would no doubt be cheaper for visiting teams as well. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Future is League said:

That would tie in in what Alex Simmonds was saying last week on Rugby am about going to Serbia to make a program

They are coming soon but i think this interview has already taken place in uk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

 Wouldn't it be better for them to go through the French system for starters to establish what playing level they are at, and less travel expenses.Just saying

 

I would imagine flights to the UK would be more readily available, but you’ve got Montpellier, Beziers, Carca, Perpignan to go at in France.

It might be feasible for Belgrade but would/could many L1 afford it easily?  Don’t forget, Belgrade would have to stump up for opposition teams 4star hotels, food, and cinema tickets.  😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, iangidds said:

They are starting at the bottom with a strong aim to succeed

Good, I hope so and I sincerely hope they do succeed.

My point was less that they couldnt do it, but more that L1 as it is is failing to be a good L1 and im not sure its the best incubator for clubs like Belgrade.

But if they do have a plan and backing and the will to succeed I hope they are given every opportunity to do so and as much help as we can possibly give.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


League Express - Online Now

League Express - Every Monday



Rugby League World - Sept 2018

Rugby League World - Sept 2018

Rugby League Books On Sale Here