Sign in to follow this  
RogerT

Weekend off

10 hours ago, Piggy's mate said:

Was it 6 points for a try and 1 point for a drop goal? I thought a try was worth 3 in them days but is shows on the St Helens score as 7 one try one drop goal?

3pt try, 2pt goal. It was probably a converted try and a drop goal.

23 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

3pt try, 2pt goal. It was probably a converted try and a drop goal.

I think that the drop goal (for some unknown reason) was worth 4 points at the time!!

Brian Cartwright's 'Ton full of Memories' comes to the rescue again!

Edited by bromleybulldog

8 minutes ago, bromleybulldog said:

I think that the drop goal (for some unknown reason) was worth 4 points at the time!!

Brian Cartwright's 'Ton full of Memories' comes to the rescue again!

I believe that this was true in the first two seasons of the NU but the points system was changed in 1897 to three and two. This may take a bit more research, however.

Well done lads, sorry I have not contributed for a few days been working too hard.

BB, Batley and the others where not seeded if you follow the draw, ie 52 teams won't make for an equal pairing so you have 40 drawn out and the other 12 given a bye that's not seeding.

40 teams equals 20 winners then add the bye giving you 32 which then equals out right to the final.

That's my take on it.

As somebody as said some good old club names there, cor could you imagine if we still had the likes of Liversedge and Heckmondwike with us the local derbies now we would be scratching for fans.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, RogerT said:

Well done lads, sorry I have not contributed for a few days been working too hard.

BB, Batley and the others where not seeded if you follow the draw, ie 52 teams won't make for an equal pairing so you have 40 drawn out and the other 12 given a bye that's not seeding.

40 teams equals 20 winners then add the bye giving you 32 which then equals out right to the final.

That's my take on it.

As somebody as said some good old club names there, cor could you imagine if we still had the likes of Liversedge and Heckmondwike with us the local derbies now we would be scratching for fans.

Wish Liversedge were still here. I'd be there. Walk -drink- game walk- tea. Happy days.

• Like 1