Martyn Sadler

New league structure revealed

14 teams will presumably mean 26 games plus possible Bash game?

It certainly seems better to drop 3 games off the schedule for clubs with limited playing squads, player welfare wise.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

This level of paranoia over Bradford is boring. 

We have known for a while that restructures were coming in. It is highly incompetent of the whole game to leave it so late, but I suggest it is nowt to do with Bradford's league position at the moment.

Can't blame them for thinking that though. This is WHY things like this need sorting sooner. It looks directly like a way to benefit the Bulls. This sort of thing just shouldn't happen.

You'd think these types of reactions would help the RFL to remember not to do this in future. But that might be asking too much.

So I take it that’s straight home n away 26 games then , what , top 5 play off for the promotion spot ?

Just now, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Can't blame them for thinking that though. This is WHY things like this need sorting sooner. It looks directly like a way to benefit the Bulls. This sort of thing just shouldn't happen.

You'd think these types of reactions would help the RFL to remember not to do this in future. But that might be asking too much.

It doesn't though. It looks like an effective way to get 14 teams in the Championship.

do away with the summer bash waste of time IMO

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

It doesn't though. It looks like an effective way to get 14 teams in the Championship.

It does... Just not when you announce it a handful of games before the end of the season when the club recently saved by the RFL have just dropped into second and look on shaky ground for promotion.

I agree it's a good proposal. Unfortunately the way it's been announced takes away from how sensible an idea it is.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, tim2 said:

To some extent it also depends what SL does - suppose they decide they want 14 teams? Unlikely, I know, but possible.

I think the RFL are pretty clear on what SL want. Id be surprised if its not set in stone already.

9 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Whose fault is it not being sorted already?

9 minutes ago, DavidM said:

So I take it that’s straight home n away 26 games then , what , top 5 play off for the promotion spot ?

Hopefully top 5 or 6 for the Championship Grand Final.

it would be useful it was a competition anybody cared about winning.

1 minute ago, scotchy1 said:

I agree , that grand final should be a massive showpiece 

But what’s the point of this change? What do The RFL want to achieve with this change? What’s their plan? Where do they see this in three years, five years and ten years?

Is there enough quality in the Championship for extra teams or is there as much disparity their as there is in League One that is almost going undetected because the clubs who are cellar dwellers at that level are traditional clubs and because the scorelines teams lose by isn’t as much as say Coventry and West Wales?

Oldham, Rochdale, Swinton and the three Cumbrian clubs are yo-yo clubs and there’s almost two leagues, sometimes three, within the one league. It’s a straight battle between two for relegation, a handful for the trophy nobody wants and then the top sides this year. Will two extra teams change that?

This is the right way to restructure League 1/Championship but anybody who doesn't recognise this as unfair at this late stage isn't understanding the situation of most of these clubs. My local side Hunslet for example, now find themselves in a situation where they're in a play off spot. Back at the start of the season they would've looked at the resources required to compete with York and Bradford and quickly realised this season wouldn't be an option for promotion, with a view to pushing for it next season when those sides (most likely) are out of the league. Now, with a few games to go they're in prime position for the play offs, less a Bradford or York, and with all due respect to the other sides, would have had a very realistic chance of promotion in that 3rd spot. 

Then there's the bottom of the Championship - as the table sits right now Rochdale and Swinton are all but relegated. Now on first viewing you say well this is good news as one side stays up, but again you have to remember how these sides work. They've probably already started offloading players for next season thinking they were both down and the crunch game that will ultimately decide who stays up is literally this weekend. Absolute shambles - I can't think of any other sports that restructure so close to the end of the season it directly impacts. 

Edited by hunsletgreenandgold
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Derwent said:

So, we are going back to a system that didn't work previously and ended up being scrapped.......

I'll give it 3 years - the Championship becomes slightly less intense although more clubs avoid what will be seen as the Division of Death.

What should we do if another Toronto pops up - force them through Champ One for the sake of it?

14 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

If the prize was a place in the top tier I would say it would be a competition very much worth winning.

10 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

This is the right way to restructure League 1/Championship but anybody who doesn't recognise this as unfair at this late stage isn't understanding the situation of most of these clubs. My local side Hunslet for example, now find themselves in a situation where they're in a play off spot. Back at the start of the season they would've looked at the resources required to compete with York and Bradford and quickly realised this season wouldn't be an option for promotion, with a view to pushing for it next season when those sides (most likely) are out of the league. Now, with a few games to go they're in prime position for the play offs, less a Bradford or York, and with all due respect to the other sides, would have had a very realistic chance of promotion in that 3rd spot. 

Then there's the bottom of the Championship - as the table sits right now Rochdale and Swinton are all but relegated. Now on first viewing you say well this is good news as one side stays up, but again you have to remember how these sides work. They've probably already started offloading players for next season thinking they were both down and the crunch game that will ultimately decide who stays up is literally this weekend. Absolute shambles - I can't think of any other sports that restructure so close to the end of the season it directly impacts. 

Best comment so far, I 100% agree, budgets and plans were made for the current structure and as you say some clubs are already preparing for next season by signing/releasing.

I think the idea is good, but should have been to start in 2019 for 2020 to make it fair, not mid way through a season.

I am a Town fan and this could benefit us and would be delighted if we got promoted but hits the credibility of our sport!

• Like 2

Just now, Private Baldrick said:

If the prize was a place in the top tier I would say it would be a competition very much worth winning.

A big reason why so very few people watch, support or view the championship is that its not a competition anyone cares about winning. Its treated as a competition so poor and unwanted that the only reason to bother playing in it is to get out of it.

Winning the championship should be the reason to play in the championship. Otherwise it will always be ignored as nothing more than a qualifying competition full of sides who have failed to be good enough.

Just now, scotchy1 said:

A big reason why so very few people watch, support or view the championship is that its not a competition anyone cares about winning. Its treated as a competition so poor and unwanted that the only reason to bother playing in it is to get out of it.

Winning the championship should be the reason to play in the championship. Otherwise it will always be ignored as nothing more than a qualifying competition full of sides who have failed to be good enough.

It's the 2nd tier so I don't see how you avoid that issue really.

whoever goes up in 3rd will not be ready for championship either in squad numbers , ability or financially and will be the kicking boys of the championship unless they build massively in the off season with finances they do not have and we all know where that leads .

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

I don't think anyone would argue that this decision should have been made prior to the start of the season. People have been complaining for months that things havent been sorted.

However thats not possible now, so what the question is should we have done it pre-season, its should we do it now and accept the downsides in terms of fairness that brings, or waste next season rejigging again.

3 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

I am not going down this road again! I believe in P+R, you don't. Let's say that neither of us will change our position on this so it's goodnight from me and it's goodnight from him!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, wilsontown said:

It's the 2nd tier so I don't see how you avoid that issue really.

It doesnt need to be the 2nd tier. Remove P+R and the concept of tiers doesnt really need to exist.

3 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

We'll come back to that as we go along.

Did they run out of envelopes to write on at this meeting ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

It does... Just not when you announce it a handful of games before the end of the season when the club recently saved by the RFL have just dropped into second and look on shaky ground for promotion.

I agree it's a good proposal. Unfortunately the way it's been announced takes away from how sensible an idea it is.

Hard to know whether to laugh or cry at the continued level of utter abject ignorance about the club endlessly displayed on this forum.

• Like 2