Martyn Sadler

New league structure revealed

3 minutes ago, Anonymouse said:

whoever goes up in 3rd will not be ready for championship either in squad numbers , ability or financially and will be the kicking boys of the championship unless they build massively in the off season with finances they do not have and we all know where that leads .

That’s the Groundhog Day nature of the Championship for you. There’s as much disparity at that level as there is in League One. It’s a League with two, sometimes three, leagues within it. 

1 minute ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

That’s the Groundhog Day nature of the Championship for you. There’s as much disparity at that level as there is in League One. It’s a League with two, sometimes three, leagues within it. 

It's been two this year, will probably be three next year.

The other thing about the "Grand Final", even if it's competed for by two fully pro clubs, is that they have no chance of signing sufficient quality to make a proper fist of it the following season, especially if the SL clubs decide to stop giving the second tier so much cash.

• Like 1

From a selfish point of view, I'm happy, it all but confirms York's promotion although I think they'd have got promoted anyway without any restructuring.

But couldn't we have accounced these changes will only take place in 2019, giving clubs a whole season rather than 5 rounds to prepare? Clubs could then have budgeted appropriately. Instead, I'd expect those flirting with the playoff positions - Keighley, Hunslet etc and both Rochdale and Swinton in the Championship to go all out with squad strengthening now.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AB Knight said:

From a selfish point of view, I'm happy, it all but confirms York's promotion although I think they'd have got promoted anyway without any restructuring.

But couldn't we have accounced these changes will only take place in 2019, giving clubs a whole season rather than 5 rounds to prepare? Clubs could then have budgeted appropriately. Instead, I'd expect those flirting with the playoff positions - Keighley, Hunslet etc and both Rochdale and Swinton in the Championship to go all out with squad strengthening now.

Can you strengthen now ?

13 minutes ago, Konkrete said:

Hard to know whether to laugh or cry at the continued level of utter abject ignorance about the club endlessly displayed on this forum.

Indeed.

The RFL didn't do anything to prevent Bradford dropping into League 1 in the first place, bearing in mind they copped a twelve point deduction that virtually guaranteed it last year, so I'm not buying the line that this restructure has anything to do with giving Bradford a leg back up to the Championship at all.

This latest restructure has been prompted by Super League clubs, of which Bradford are not one.

Scraps are being thrown down to the Championship/League 1 clubs to get them to vote it through. That's all.

• Like 4

Suddenly, that Workington-York game on September 2 doesn't look so crucial!

Quite like the idea of a 14-club middle tier (not least because my nearest club, York, are likely to be involved). But will this restructure make League One a lost cause?

5 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Indeed.

The RFL didn't do anything to prevent Bradford dropping into League 1 in the first place, bearing in mind they copped a twelve point deduction that virtually guaranteed it last year, so I'm not buying the line that this restructure has anything to do with giving Bradford a leg back up to the Championship at all.

This latest restructure has been prompted by Super League clubs, of which Bradford are not one.

Scraps are being thrown down to the Championship/League 1 clubs to get them to vote it through. That's all.

Very convenient timing when Bradford are starting to lose games. 

If it’s been proposed by Super League teams, you’re doing nothing to dispell the rumour that it’s a structure to help one side over others, as Super League clubs would, surely, enjoy the increased income from Bradford, should they ever return to Super League and being one level below instead of two is more favourable to that possibility. 

• Like 1

Just now, Hopping Mad said:

Suddenly, that Workington-York game on September 2 doesn't look so crucial!

Quite like the idea of a 14-club middle tier (not least because my nearest club, York, are likely to be involved). But will this restructure make League One a lost cause?

It sure is for us . 

10 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Can you strengthen now ?

Good point. Not sure what the rules are, if anyone else can oblige?

What does this mean for Division One. Will the proposed new structure mean that Division One wil consist of 12 teams or will there be an additional 2 "Expansion" Clubs???

2019 Championship?

Barrow, Batley, Bradford, Dewsbury, Featherstone, Halifax, Leigh, London, Rochdale, Sheffield, Toulouse, Widnes, Workington, York.

Looking good!

4 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Very convenient timing when Bradford are starting to lose games. 

If it’s been proposed by Super League teams, you’re doing nothing to dispell the rumour that it’s a structure to help one side over others, as Super League clubs would, surely, enjoy the increased income from Bradford, should they ever return to Super League and being one level below instead of two is more favourable to that possibility. 

If you want to believe in conspiracy theories, go ahead, nothing I say will convince you otherwise.

• Like 5

Just now, spanishknight said:

And us, we want to be champions.

Yeh I can’t really argue against that as I’ve just argued for it ! 

• Like 1

There were rumours earlier this year that League One would be cut adrift and funding stopped. Might be some truth to that rumour, unfortunately. 

I’m not sure where this leaves League One now. 

1 minute ago, John Drake said:

If you want to believe in conspiracy theories, go ahead, nothing I say will convince you otherwise.

You said it’s proposed by Super League, it leaves it open to “conspiracy theories” John. Especially at a time a poor Bradford side is being found out. 

You said it’s proposed by Super League, it leaves it open to “conspiracy theories” John. Especially at a time a poor Bradford side is being found out. 

Bradford fell to second in the league on Sunday, you really think the RFL have cooked this proposal up since then?!

If it’s proposed by SL how does that link directly to Bradford ? They’d have to get through the championship to reach SL

2 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Losing games to other sides roughly in the same position league wise, is not tantamount to being found out, its the usual pattern of a season.

How I miss those days of 'the RFL will move heaven and earth to ensure Bradford aren't relegated from SL'. :)

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Anonymouse said:

whoever goes up in 3rd will not be ready for championship either in squad numbers , ability or financially and will be the kicking boys of the championship unless they build massively in the off season with finances they do not have and we all know where that leads .

I don't know - do you think - as things stand Workington would turn it down, given that should the system not change, there is a decent chance it'd be a Bulls vs Town final, and they already have Bradford's number?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mr Plow said:

How can you change the structure with 6 games to go 😂 What's the point 

It's even worse than that. Only two teams have five fixtures left and they catch up on Friday night. Everyone else has only four games left. Ridiculous timing.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

It's even worse than that. Only two teams have five fixtures left and they catch up on Friday night. Everyone else has only four games left. Ridiculous timing.

I think they should leave it till the season has finished, not let anyone know who will be promoted, then get each clubs chairman in a room (stream it live from the clubhouse at Workington?) and have it like Bake Off/Strictly.

"York......you are in. Bradford....you did enough, you're in."

😁

On a serious note, how long do clubs have to vote on these proposals? The thought occurs if it's more weeks of arguing, we could go into the final round of the season not knowing what the hell is going on.

Edited by AB Knight
  • Like 1