Martyn Sadler

New league structure revealed

1 minute ago, AB Knight said:

I think they should leave it till the season has finished, not let anyone know who will be promoted, then get each clubs chairman in a room (stream it live from the clubhouse at Workington?) and have it like Bake Off/Strictly.

"York......you are in. Bradford....you did enough, you're in."

😁

Too close for comfort.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, DavidM said:

If it’s proposed by SL how does that link directly to Bradford ? They’d have to get through the championship to reach SL

Easier to get there from a Championship position than League One. 

14 minutes ago, Amber Avenger said:

I don't know - do you think - as things stand Workington would turn it down, given that should the system not change, there is a decent chance it'd be a Bulls vs Town final, and they already have Bradford's number?

Funnily enough, at a football match in Lancashire last night, I was talking to a Workington fan. He felt Town needed a couple more years' consolidation in League One before taking on the Championship again.

Hold on.... IF they're going to do ths at this late stage (which is barmy IMHO) then they'd be better making t 4 up from L1 and still 2 down from Championship, surely?? Then settle the following year to 2 up/2 down.

Edited by FearNothing

29 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Very convenient timing when Bradford are starting to lose games. 

If it’s been proposed by Super League teams, you’re doing nothing to dispell the rumour that it’s a structure to help one side over others, as Super League clubs would, surely, enjoy the increased income from Bradford, should they ever return to Super League and being one level below instead of two is more favourable to that possibility. 

It's a ridiculous argument you're making, it just doesn't add up: you're saying Bradford aren't good enough to get promoted from League 1 on their own merit, but in the next breath you somehow have them challenging for a Super League place??? Uh???

The reality is Bradford are a good League 1 side at the moment. Nothing more and nothing less than that. I know, I've watched them play every league game this season so far, and will continue to do so till the end of it. I've seen their strengths, I've seen their weaknesses, I've enjoyed the wins and despaired at the losses, and as a fan I'd have lived with whatever outcome they achieved on the field of play this year, even if that meant another season in League 1.

I'm as angry that the goalpost have been moved as anyone, because instead of just being able to enjoy the rugby for what it is, which I have been doing all season so far, win or lose, now we're embroiled in another bout of b*llshit conspiracy theories about how Bradford are somehow getting 'favours' from the RFL without a scrap of actual evidence to back them up.

It gets a bit wearing, let me tell you.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Hopping Mad said:

2019 Championship?

Barrow, Batley, Bradford, Dewsbury, Featherstone, Halifax, Leigh, London, Rochdale, Sheffield, Toulouse, Widnes, Workington, York.

Looking good!

Looks ok but probably looking at a top 6 of Bradford, Fev, Fax, London, Toulouse, and Widnes then a big gap to the rest. That gap may close in the future but you would want that gap to close by the rest of the league improving when the reality is the gap will close because of a lack of funding which will hamper the top teams.

One thing I cant work out is why not scrap relegation from the Championship this season and bring 2 teams up keeping the league 1 system as it is for the season.

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Scraps are being thrown down to the Championship/League 1 clubs to get them to vote it through. That's all.

My understanding is different John, and I don't think these are scraps at all. You will be aware that there was a meeting of SL chiefs yesterday, hence the timimg of this announcement. At that meeting the league structure was to be discussed including the proposal that had been agreed between Elstone and Rimmer, and this is a part of that.

The SL clubs are insisting upon the eights being scrapped and the quid pro quo for that, demanded by the other clubs, is for a one up, one down P&R system to be introduced next season with the league winners of the Championship after 27 matches being the club to be promoted.

What was also demanded, I understand, is a continuation of the financial distribution system between SL/RFL/Championship from 2022 onwards. I predict that further announcements will be on their way.

1 minute ago, The Blues Ox said:

One thing I cant work out is why not scrap relegation from the Championship this season and bring 2 teams up keeping the league 1 system as it is for the season.

Perhaps, because it is such a late goalpost change, to maintain some shred of integrity for a league that is supposed to have had a relegation race all season. Also, cynically, it means clubs in the current relegation race are more likely to vote it through, as it gives them more chance of survival this year. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Looks ok but probably looking at a top 6 of Bradford, Fev, Fax, London, Toulouse, and Widnes then a big gap to the rest. That gap may close in the future but you would want that gap to close by the rest of the league improving when the reality is the gap will close because of a lack of funding which will hamper the top teams.

I think that you will find that the rewards for the teams in the Championship will not be quite so attractive next season Oxy, particularly when there will be no qualifiers to play in

4 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Other than having four divisions (and, surely, you couldn't have a six-club second tier), I can't see a way round this.

4 minutes ago, John Drake said:

It's a ridiculous argument you're making, it just doesn't add up: you're saying Bradford aren't good enough to get promoted from League 1 on their own merit, but in the next breath you somehow have them challenging for a Super League place??? Uh???

The reality is Bradford are a good League 1 side at the moment. Nothing more and nothing less than that. I know, I've watched them play every league game this season so far, and will continue to do so till the end of it. I've seen their strengths, I've seen their weaknesses, I've enjoyed the wins and despaired at the losses, and as a fan I'd have lived with whatever outcome they achieved on the field of play this year, even if that meant another season in League 1.

I'm as angry that the goalpost have been moved as anyone, because instead of just being able to enjoy the rugby for what it is, which I have been doing all season so far, win or lose, now we're embroiled in another bout of b*llshit conspiracy theories about how Bradford are somehow getting 'favours' from the RFL without a scrap of actual evidence to back them up.

It gets a bit wearing, let me tell you.

You do realise that this Bradford team isn’t concrete don’t you and that they can sign players? At present (on this date, this may change) Bradford aren’t good enough to go up, however, if they do go up, they’re free, within reason, to make signings and it’s fair to say that Super League clubs, making this proposal, would prefer Bradford over some other teams in Super League and giving them a leg up, gives that a higher possibility of happening. 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

You do realise that this Bradford team isn’t concrete don’t you and that they can sign players? At present (on this date, this may change) Bradford aren’t good enough to go up, however, if they do go up, they’re free, within reason, to make signings and it’s fair to say that Super League clubs, making this proposal, would prefer Bradford over some other teams in Super League and giving them a leg up, gives that a higher possibility of happening. 

Good point Ollie, and to top it all I have just seen Elvis and Lord Lucan riding on the back of Shergar clutching their Bradford season tickets for next season!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

All I can say is that it's a shame none of those players seem to have turned up for Bradford our the four seasons out of the top flight so far. 

4 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Sorry I have no idea what this means ?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

I think that you will find that the rewards for the teams in the Championship will not be quite so attractive next season Oxy, particularly when there will be no qualifiers to play in

If Toronto do not go up this year there will be nothing at all for anyone in that league to play for outside of Toronto. A massive shame for a league that seems to have shown a bit of progression in recent years in teams capable of not only making the top 4 but also having a realistic chance of promotion.

1 hour ago, scotchy1 said:

Hopefully top 5 or 6 for the Championship Grand Final.

it would be useful it was a competition anybody cared about winning.

By all means have some sort of end of season league cup... But is it really too radical to simply have the top xNr of teams promoted and the SL team(s) relegated. 

OK with top of Championship getting promoted, but would have like to have seen runner up in championship play team 2nd bottom in S/L play for winner take all game 

Edited by newbe
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Looks ok but probably looking at a top 6 of Bradford, Fev, Salford, Toronto, Toulouse, and Widnes then a big gap to the rest. That gap may close in the future but you would want that gap to close by the rest of the league improving when the reality is the gap will close because of a lack of funding which will hamper the top teams.

Edited with optimism :wink:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

By all means have some sort of end of season league cup... But is it really too radical to simply have the top xNr of teams promoted and the SL team(s) relegated. 

We've tried that. People don't care about end of season cups in any real numbers. They don't really care about P+R in any real numbers. The game is just going round in the same circles trying to make the same square pegs fit in the same round holes.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

We've tried that. People don't care about end of season cups in any real numbers. They don't really care about P+R in any real numbers. The game is just going round in the same circles trying to make the same square pegs fit in the same round holes.

And people don't care about watching clubs (eg Salford, Widnes) who can't hack it in Super League. Zoinks!

Just now, Hopping Mad said:

And people don't care about watching clubs (eg Salford, Widnes) who can't hack it in Super League. Zoinks!

Indeed they are, if only we could implement a system where we can see failing clubs either removed or given the time, space and stability to improve.

10 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Indeed they are, if only we could implement a system where we can see failing clubs either removed or given the time, space and stability to improve.

How many more years of Cas and Wakey producing pretty drawings of new stadia can we put up with?

• Haha 1

Just now, Private Baldrick said:

How many more years of Cas and Wakey producing pretty drawings of new stadia can we put up with?

Dunno, not many if i had my way but there is a paucity of clubs to take their place unfortunately.

Find a couple of clubs who have a good, well backed five year plan to get to a situation where they are better than Wakefield and Cas and I'd swap them now.

1 hour ago, The Blues Ox said:

I agree, at the moment the only team to suffer from these changes will be the bottom team in the Championship, who will carry the can for the rest.

Edited by alba