Martyn Sadler

New league structure revealed

The game is a joke, one up is not enough. 

If Toronto, London and Toulouse dont go up this year they never will. And we’ll be left with deadwood like Wakey and Huddersfield forever....

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

Even in victory he lacks class.

I like the way he bigs up his cohorts from St Helens and the Hull clubs as if they are beacons in the darkness. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

So Hull will play Rovers twice in regular league games then again at MW and again in the loop fixture. That’s without the possibility of a Challenge Cup or play off game/s.

How do you know they will play in the loop fixture. 

25 minutes ago, fairfolly said:

And also maybe one club being threatened that they would not be considered for a World Cup game they are applying for if they did not vote for the proposals.A League 1 club by the way.

Is this true? Some disgusting underhand tactics have been used if it is. 

1 minute ago, bobbruce said:

How do you know they will play in the loop fixture. 

Go back and read my reply to JM who said the very same thing. Are you on a loop?

4 hours ago, Krzzystuff said:

there was an article recently on Total RL that mentioned that SL wouldn't be including the Champ and League 1 rights in their next TV deal and that these leagues would be able to go out and get their own deals if possible, was this discussed at all in the EGM? 

Absolutely vital the championship/L1 clubs are seen trying to get themselves some kind of TV deal over the next 3 years.If they dont then people like me will see the resent hissy fitting as nothing more than ###### & wind

26 minutes ago, fairfolly said:

And also maybe one club being threatened that they would not be considered for a World Cup game they are applying for if they did not vote for the proposals.A League 1 club by the way.

In South Yorkshire?

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, jpmc said:

Absolutely vital the championship/L1 clubs are seen trying to get themselves some kind of TV deal over the next 3 years.If they dont then people like me will see the resent hissy fitting as nothing more than ###### & wind

Depends what the new sky or whoever deal encapsulates  doesn’t it ? If they get the freedom to do it

34 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Get some exposure on tv as a start you’d think

Agree that would be a start. And it would be their own money to do as they want with.

13 minutes ago, dkw said:

Is this true? Some disgusting underhand tactics have been used if it is. 

If it is it would be the RFL doing it as that’s nothing to do with SL. 

18 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

Go back and read my reply to JM who said the very same thing. Are you on a loop?

So you don’t know. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, deluded pom? said:

Where are these other competitive two or three teams going to come from because they aren’t currently in SL. Will that be eight teams in a twelve team league or a fourteen team league? The latter would simply mean keeping six deadwood teams that we have now. The only way we’ll get eight teams of the required standard is for the likes of Toronto to reach SL. 

Yes, a fully funded Toronto would certainly be a way to add one.

To be honest we probably need to contract to 10 to boost funding so all teams can pay full cap, but the top clubs will never give up their in built financial advantage while there's any risk they could be relegated. 

23 minutes ago, jpmc said:

So, you're looking for a niche of a niche of a niche to go out there and get a paying TV deal?  Maybe with some desperate streaming service, maybe with a subscription channel like Premier Sports (like last time) but it won't get them any exposure.

1 hour ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

“It seems bizarre that some of those clubs may not even be around when the structure changes come into place.

I wonder what Mark Campbell meant by that?

The changes come into place next season. Is he suggesting that some clubs are not going to exist by the start of next season?

1 minute ago, paulwalker71 said:

The changes come into place next season. Is he suggesting that some clubs are not going to exist by the start of next season?

Yes, that does seem a strange thing to say.

1 minute ago, paulwalker71 said:

The rumour for some time has been that some of the lesser lights in League 1 would be relegated to the amateur ranks.  However, it's my understanding that this development league won't be funded at this time.

1 hour ago, bobbruce said:

We get more repeat fixtures under the current system. 

Here was a chance to fix it but it wasn’t taken.

22 minutes ago, bbfaz said:

The rumour for some time has been that some of the lesser lights in League 1 would be relegated to the amateur ranks.  However, it's my understanding that this development league won't be funded at this time.

There’s only gonna be 12 in it as it is . 

1 minute ago, RayCee said:

Now is probably not the time as they would’ve taken another £4m of the lower leagues to fund two extra teams. Not sure that would’ve gone down too well at the vote. 

There is an upside. There are still some good games in the Championship and League One to watch. They are two comps worth following. I used to just follow SL. Now I'm more interested in the lower leagues.

SL thinks it's God’s gift to UK RL, that RL would die without it. If Ian Leneghan thinks Wigan are worth turning up to watch,  then shrinking attendance figures should give him something to think about. Fewer and fewer Wigan fans agree with him.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, RayCee said:

They are obligated under the SKY deal to provide a set number of matches...what did you want them to do exactly? 

1 hour ago, bobbruce said:

All that is for each individual league to sort so shouldn’t be too hard.

Parachute payment and salary cap affects both ' Leagues '

3 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Now is probably not the time as they would’ve taken another £4m of the lower leagues to fund two extra teams. Not sure that would’ve gone down too well at the vote. 

I wonder why the existing set up wasn’t kept in place until the next media deal two years away. There will be yet another change then. There will be more games with nothing to play for in 2019 under the new system. All it does is lessen the jeopardy for SL clubs.