Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Martyn Sadler

New league structure revealed

4 minutes ago, roughyedspud said:

It's stupid,I agree.

They should have moved to a 14 team league and make 13 home games work..but they've decided now

Yes it is , it would have been interesting to see how the SL fans would have reacted to Toronto and Toulouse numbers wise , maybe 2020

3 hours ago, bbfaz said:

To be honest, this is why the move to this system makes no sense to me.  The recent talk has been of Dublin and Belgrade, to add to any potential North American teams.  However, they've taken away or severely curtailed the mechanism to allow those teams to get to the top.

Page after page of fantasy posts with this one the worst of the lot. The idea Dublin  and Belgrade could even get to the top of League one is truly absurd. There is a list as long as Jamie Peacock's arm of clubs from all over, and in many different decades trying to make it as a top RL club this side of the equator.  They all failed because there weren't the players to make these clubs competitive, and get new fans interested, and that applies not just to the past but in the here and now and in the future.

I have the same problem. I keep supporting Toulouse for promotion even though what few quality french players they may unearth would just go to Catalans, as for TWP if promoted, they are hardly likely to be able to recruit any superstars because by that time those available (Who may have fancied being constantly jet lagged) will have already been lined up to go to top English SL clubs.

The annoyance that it is only one up and one down is again borne of fantasists believing there is a queue of overseas clubs (in places they don't play RL to any level) just waiting not only for promotion, but for the expansion of the Superleague to let them all in. It's 12 clubs "for now" but by the time of the 2021 deal apparently 14 SL clubs will be on the agenda and an end to those loop fixtures will be in sight, even though that TV deal is most likely to reduce.

As for the loop fixtures how would Wigan.v.Belgrade go instead of Wigan.v. Warrington for the fourth time? Or saints.v.Dublin instead of Leeds for the fourth time.Just a quick glance at reality showed Leeds play Bradford five times in 2000 the last boring time pulling in 4,000 more fans than London attracted to Headingley in their only visit that season.

I note a superb plan to rid us of loop fixtures. Just play 22 games and maybe shut down for the summer holidays whilst we then go into the September play offs. I like it, but I doubt the club treasurers will like forgoing the ££Millions of revenue lost because the purists want their way.

Easy to fantasise, easy to criticise, but well done to the SL bosses for being hard headed and pragmatic in dumping Solly's rubbish and pushing though something that is far from ideal, but is actually the very best we can do in very very difficult circumstances. 

Now we need them to confirm there will be no "parachute payment" designed to keep the status quo, and also to re-set the salary caps for the Championship and league one so they can be competitions for all to enjoy, and not "processions" of the wealthy. It's been a bonkers couple of months, but the right decisions, based on realities, have been made. Sad to see despite this the fantasies  still  growing and growing though.........

EDIT - for Gubbers licensing was to ensure expansion clubs didn't get relegated. That's all over now so let P&R do it's job of allowing championship clubs a crack at SL and saving SL clubs in decline - the likes of London and Crusaders - from total embarrassment.  EDIT for Jampot, sorry reality bores you, how about Dubai for Superleague? If Scotchy's Perth are a shoe in why not??

Edited by The Parksider
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Parksider said:

Page after page of fantasy posts with this one the worst of the lot. The idea Dublin  and Belgrade could even get to the top of League one is truly absurd. There is a list as long as long as Jamie Peacock's arm of clubs from all over, and in many different decades trying to make it as a top RL club this side of the equator.  They all failed because there weren't the players to make these clubs competitive, and get new fans interested, and that applies not just to the past but in the here and now and in the future.

I have the same problem. I keep supporting Toulouse for promotion even though what few quality french players they may unearth would just go to Catalans, as for TWP if promoted, they are hardly likely to be able to recruit any superstars because by that time those available (Who may fancy being constantly jet lagged) will have already been lined up to go to top English SL clubs.

The annoyance that it is only one up and one down is again borne of fantasists believing there is a queue of overseas clubs (in places they don't play RL to any level) just waiting not only for promotion, but for the expansion of the Superleague to let them all in. It's 12 clubs "for now" but by the time of the 2021 deal apparently 14 SL clubs will be on the agenda and an end to those loop fixtures will be in sight, even though that TV deal is most likely to reduce.

As for the loop fixtures how would Wigan.v.Belgrade go instead of Wigan.v. Warrington for the fourth time? Or saints.v.Dublin instead of Leeds for the fourth time. just a quick glance at reality showed Leeds play Bradford five times in 2000 the last boring time pulling in 4,000 more fans than London attracted to Headingley in their only visit that season.

I note a superb plan to rid us of loop fixtures. Just play 22 games and maybe shut down for the summer holidays whilst we then go into the September play offs. I like it, but I doubt the club treasurers will like forgoing the ££Millions of revenue lost because the purists want their way.

Easy to fantasise, easy to criticise, but well done to the SL bosses for being hard headed and pragmatic in pushing though something that is far from ideal, but is actually the very best we can do in very very difficult circumstances.

Now we need them to confirm there is no "parachute payment" designed to block the status quo, and also to re-set the salary caps for the Championship and league one so they can be competitions for all to enjoy, and not "processions" of the wealthy. It's been a bonkers couple of months, but the right decisions, based on realities, have been made. Sad to see the fantasies  still  growing and growing though.........

When do we see Licencing/Franchising again ?

11 minutes ago, The Parksider said:

Page after page of fantasy posts with this one the worst of the lot. The idea Dublin  and Belgrade could even get to the top of League one is truly absurd. There is a list as long as Jamie Peacock's arm of clubs from all over, and in many different decades trying to make it as a top RL club this side of the equator.  They all failed because there weren't the players to make these clubs competitive, and get new fans interested, and that applies not just to the past but in the here and now and in the future.

I have the same problem. I keep supporting Toulouse for promotion even though what few quality french players they may unearth would just go to Catalans, as for TWP if promoted, they are hardly likely to be able to recruit any superstars because by that time those available (Who may have fancied being constantly jet lagged) will have already been lined up to go to top English SL clubs.

As for the loop fixtures how would Wigan.v.Belgrade go instead of Wigan.v. Warrington for the fourth time? Or saints.v.Dublin instead of Leeds for the fourth time.Jjust a quick glance at reality showed Leeds play Bradford five times in 2000 the last boring time pulling in 4,000 more fans than London attracted to Headingley in their only visit that season.

Easy to fantasise, easy to criticise, but well done to the SL bosses for being hard headed and pragmatic in dumping Solly's rubbish and pushing though something that is far from ideal, but is actually the very best we can do in very very difficult circumstances. 

Now we need them to confirm there will be no "parachute payment" designed to block the status quo, and also to re-set the salary caps for the Championship and league one so they can be competitions for all to enjoy, and not "processions" of the wealthy. It's been a bonkers couple of months, but the right decisions, based on realities, have been made. Sad to see despite this the fantasies  still  growing and growing though.........

blah dee flippin boring blaahhh....... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, bobbruce said:

I can almost guarantee we will go to 14 teams when we do the next tv deal. 

Only if SL really do want SKY to reduce  the next contract on account of increased mediocrity. 

The clear recent evidence is that SL really cannot sustain 12 sides of reasonable, never mind "Super" quality. Maybe 11 at a push but less if we are really serious about quality. Toronto, London and to some extent Toulouse have squads that include many players who have done the rounds, many with the same batch of clubs. The adding of 2 extra clubs to SL would just encompass two extra teams of the same old players who have already tried and not quite succeeded at SL level and a swapping of the same players (and coaches) between clubs. Player numbers have shrunk dramatically in the UK, (one depressing oversight of the current "structure (finance) " squabble), two SL clubs are sharing one 17 man academy team , there are no "spare" new players hanging about anywhere waiting for a game and the "new" structure is hardy likely to see many new opportunities for players to earn a professional living in the lower leagues before progressing onto SL. The promotion spot will soon become a 3 team competition including the relegated team and so the scramble for ex- SL "old heads" will be on and of course good SL players will continue to look to the NRL with an average salary of over Aus$300,000.  I fully expect the player pool to continue the graph and to shrink unless Toronto suddenly put a youth system in place and persuade Canadians to start devoting themselves to participating in RL...highly , highly, unlikely.

I really cannot see where these 50 (actually about 80-100 needed in total if we are to improve the league)  new/additional  "quality" SL players are going to come from and they won't. It would be the same old, same old .

As Neil Hudgell  has put it today, the "product has been boring for several years", for boring also read sub-standard ( i exclude Castleford,  Wakefield, Saints and Wigan and maybe couple others from this). The addition of 2 more sub standard teams, no matter their title,   does nothing to increase viewer or spectator numbers. The only thing it does is put around £5 million a year out of the "funds" into players and mostly superfluous staff pockets for what purpose or return?

I cannot fathom at all the intimations of going to 14. If we are serious about "Super" league being the best quality it can be or even maintaining the current standard then a reduction is the only way to go.

• Like 3

What exactly is this new SL executive all about? Apart from protectionism, their only plan seems to be to increase SL commercial revenue through, wait for it, better marketing of the sport.  This is exactly what SL has been trying to do for two decades. When are the innovative plans to actually do this marketing actually coming out?  And how will they sell (sorry to pick out these clubs) Wakefield vs Castleford to a broader audience?

• Like 2

Just now, Marty Funkhouser said:

I would never have called it "Super League" but I don't pay £40m a year ...

How about 'Super Duper Looper League'?  Is that better?

• Like 3

Each 'system' has one positive and 3 negatives. There is no silver bullet. 

Can I be first to predict a complaint that the league leaders in the top 5 play-offs is disadvantaged come the final because their momentum has been broken by having 2 weeks off? Then we'll get the 'yo-yo' effect and the difficulty in developing a competitive squad in a part-time division with limited budget and salary cap. Then we'll go to next 'system' off the rank. It's not the loop fixtures I'm so bothered about, it's the loop 'systems'.  An ever decreasing circle of managed decline.

Do the hard work on a coordinated approach to increasing participation and marketing the game. The rest will follow.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, dkw said:

Is this true? Some disgusting underhand tactics have been used if it is. 

Only 2 clubs I can think of! Very disappointing if true because both clubs have very solid bids.

Shocking !!

This is a stupid reactionary, defensive and emotional decision IMO -  not well thought out at all, and dominated by SL Club's self interest and not the good of the game.   Something had to be improved, but not this.

It smacks of a weak RFL governing structure, insufficent money being generated in the game as a whole, panic, and a deluded SL leadership group focused on self survival rather than adventurous, sound thinking, and a common vision for RL. 

What's the benefit to expand the game? 

Why would expansionary clubs risk their money to assist in a one up, one down system?

How does this format bring new and more money to the game to strenghten the code and expansion, indeed mainstream sports interest and survival.

More of the same dying dead man's boots syndrome IMO and little interest in expansive thinking and improved formats that could benefit the game. 

Personally, I think 14 ( or 12 teams ) and two up, two down would be best. Relegated team cans climb back, ambitious teams can go up.  One up, one down kills it.

Edited by Snowman123
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Lobbygobbler said:

The game is a joke, one up is not enough. 

If Toronto, London and Toulouse dont go up this year they never will. And we’ll be left with deadwood like Wakey and Huddersfield forever....

You just cannot resist a dig at Wakey can you? Why are they deadwood, not been i the qualifiers since the first season building a good squad competitive look at the the attack this season.The stadium yes that old chestnut its a disgrace and support from the local authority is poor. What about LSV apparently Leigh could not afford some of the areas the ground offers due to lack of funds. Thats a sugar daddy v a self sustained club run on its means go figure where the deadwood is.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Krzzystuff said:

They are obligated under the SKY deal to provide a set number of matches...what did you want them to do exactly? 

Televise ALL the SL games in each round....loads of games to attract viewers then and certainly more than three per week. Could have had less rounds and no loop fixtures, free up weeks for Intrnationals and had the VR - which I don't like personally -  at all games so all officiating was the same. 

• Like 1

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

1 hour ago, Forever Trinity said:

You just cannot resist a dig at Wakey can you? Why are they deadwood, not been i the qualifiers since the first season building a good squad competitive look at the the attack this season.The stadium yes that old chestnut its a disgrace and support from the local authority is poor. What about LSV apparently Leigh could not afford some of the areas the ground offers due to lack of funds. Thats a sugar daddy v a self sustained club run on its means go figure where the deadwood is.

Indeed. The teams in 5th and 6th in SL are deadwood? 

Yeah, ok.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, roughyedspud said:

You need to get over the word "super"

How very dare you!

It’s not just super - it’s super duper. Elstone’s plan confirms this status and, now passed, there will be an immediate improvement in quality, audiences and general prosperity.

The odd part is that normally sane individuals appear to believe there is some truth in this.

Both Hull chairmen on the radio seem to believe that immediate success will be heralded by these changes. And no mention of the grubby cash crab or the bullying that got it voted through.

There is no doubt that rugby league has lost ground over Union in the last decade. It would be interesting to know what the plan is to grow, succeed commercially and provide great spectacle. Word is that ‘they’ have a very clear three year plan to deliver this. After the power and cash grab they now need to deliver it - but don’t be surprised when you see the emperor is wearing no clothes.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Forever Trinity said:

Quite simply because your ground and crowds are garbage taking into account the success

I used to have a soft spot for Wakey and was made up when they had their first really good run in the playoffs about 10-15 years ago. However, whilst everyone else bar Cas has had to get their ground sorted, and some clubs (e.g. Whitehaven) were barred with grounds no worse, Wakey have done virtually nothing apart from putting a few roofs up. Also the crowds have never kicked on and are poor

7 hours ago, Kayakman said:

How about 'Super Duper Looper League'?  Is that better?

How about super greed

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

13 hours ago, Dave T said:

What kind of leadership do you want him to show? Do you want him to side with the 30% of clubs? That would be odd.

Interestingly, from the outside it looks like Rimmer has done a decent job of keeping the game from splitting.

How? Do you have evidence that he addressed the collective of Championship/L1 Chairmen either individually or en-masse to put his views across that they should vote with SL, or did he single out those he thought may be vunerable/undecided - whichever your viewpoint - from Mr Nicholas "all for one" statement.

If you do believe what you have said Dave, he has had to exert his influence, that being the SL proposals on the Clubs and bodies below SL.

8 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

3 years it will be Licencing/Franchising

To be honest i thought we was going to get it this time, and as soon as the Wolf pack get promoted into Super League it could well happen as that would mean 11 Super League clubs getting Sky money instead of 12, which = more  Sky money for them clubs