Sign in to follow this  
Bob8

Everyone else is out of step!!!

There are a few posters on here that I regard as rather unthinking and unable to accept any view other than their own. 

In return, they seem to think the same about me.

Anyone with any clever tips on how we can work out for ourselves if we are one-eyed and partisan or if everyone else is?

3 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

There are a few posters on here that I regard as rather unthinking and unable to accept any view other than their own. 

Anyone with any clever tips on how we can work out for ourselves if we are one-eyed and partisan or if everyone else is?

i thought you were claiming to be some sort of elite ballroom dancer when I saw the title of this thread bob

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

Have you ever changed your mind on a political issue when presented with new or better information?

Do you have any major policy deviations from the party you usually vote for?

Have you ever heard an opposing politician make a speech or announce a policy that you thought was a good idea?

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

I like debating with you Bob and to me you have a variety of views. Some I agree with others I don't but it's good to differ.

I would like to think I am not intransigent, I switch my vote and I can even see some positives in Mr Corbyn 😊

The only subject I would not be able to accept other views easily on is the Middle East but that is a personal view. I accept that others will be the same but have polarised views, so I try to refrain from writing unless there is a point I feel is absolutely wrong. 

To answer your question, when I have needed assistance on here everyone has been really helpful and I think of this if posts make me angry. 

I also remember how bad Twitter amd other forums are and how much abuse I would receive on there. ☺

Edited by Niels
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Farmduck said:

Have you ever changed your mind on a political issue when presented with new or better information?

Have you ever heard an opposing politician make a speech or announce a policy that you thought was a good idea?

The problem is, pretty much everyone would either say "Yes" or "That someone as incredibly reasonable as me constantly finds my opponents ridiculous shows that they are!".

I have the Wikipedia rule.  Wikipedia is far from perfect, but does represent a reasonable overview of a subject and is well sourced.  If you believe it is complete bougeios propaganda, or a Marxist tool, then you are probably one-eyed.  That said, it will have a bias towards the younger and computer savvy.

The measure in a way is how you would take to a group of people asserting something you knew to be wrong.  If I was assured that women were on average the same height as men, I would first question it.  Then, I would look for evidence to back up my assertion that it was not true (as I would expect that to be the case).  If Wikipedia and PubMed both came back with the idea that men and women were on average the same height, I would look into why my experience was very different. 

That is still a process with bias to my original opinion, but better than those who say what the truth is and insist I should find the evidence to back them up.

This line of discussion between MjM and Maryn Sadler sees both believe the other is one-eyed.

Is there any way of calling that:

I take someone who thinks I should find evidence to back up their own point as closed minded.  So is someone who resents posts being dragged up from the past as they are misleading as unwilling to accept error.  But, that is of course me excusing myself!

49 minutes ago, Farmduck said:

Have you ever changed your mind on a political issue when presented with new or better information? Yes

Do you have any major policy deviations from the party you usually vote for? Yes

Have you ever heard an opposing politician make a speech or announce a policy that you thought was a good idea? Yes

No, honestly. 🙂🙂

Edited by JohnM

49 minutes ago, Farmduck said:

Yes, yes and yes! 

5 minutes ago, JohnM said:

No, honestly. 🙂🙂

4 minutes ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Yes, yes and yes

That is the thing, I believe everyone on this thread actually is reasonable.

But, I think everyone on this thread would say Yes to all those questions too.

1 hour ago, Farmduck said:

Yes
Yes, I have actually voted for 3 different parties plus independents as a result
Yes

Goose step parade across Heading?

2 hours ago, Farmduck said:

I'd be stunned if the vast vast majority of people wouldn't answer yes to all three of those.

I thinking of the things about forums like this is that people generally only engage passionately aboutthose things they feel strongly about already so are perhaps less likely to change their mind in those debates.

There are loads of things I read here that shape and inform my views, I read more than I post though on those threads because I dont have strong views necessarily so I prefer to just read other people portray their views.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

i thought you were claiming to be some sort of elite ballroom dancer when I saw the title of this thread bob

I’m one eyed and partisan

Edited by Phil
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Phil said:

I’m one eyed and partisan

Which makes you self aware!

I have the background that would make me anti-Trump and anti-Brexit.  Were I thirty years older, I would probably be pro-Brexit if I had also remained in the UK.  Were I sexually frustrated, I might also be pro-Trump. 

As a grown man, I believed in evolution as I have studied the field closely, when I was younger I believed in it because I was told it was true. 

I try to be open, but I see my views are close to what would be expected of my upbringing and experience.

Edited by Bob8
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Mister Ting said:

Anyone who claims to be self aware is delusional.

Very true!

I think we can realize that our views our mainly defined by a few variable and if we consider ourselves reasonable and rational and our views still conform to what would be expected of us, it is a little suspicious.

On the anti-semitism debate thread, I think I am the only one who has cited things that might prejudice me. 

1 hour ago, Mister Ting said:

Anyone who claims to be self aware is delusional.

wc221.gif

Luckily for me, I'm always right about everything. So changing my mind isn't a thing for me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Doxastic openness is a difficult state to achieve.

I guess the pathway to it means overcoming your ego, having an open mind (not so open your mind falls out) and proactively questioning your own views by thinking of realistic scenarios that could alter your views. This last bit is more a reminder to yourself to not let your views turn into faith rather than an opinion based on your reasonable understanding of facts.

Sometimes by ranting in order to win, you’re actually defeating yourself.

Edited by Copa

13 hours ago, Johnoco said:

Luckily for me, I'm always right about everything. So changing my mind isn't a thing for me.

Yes . And everyone arguing is just on a wind up