Sign in to follow this  
John Drake

The Forbidden Game by Mike Rylance

24 minutes ago, John Drake said:

I know diddly squat about the logistics but could League Publications put out a reprint? 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Phil said:

I know diddly squat about the logistics but could League Publications put out a reprint? 

Currently looking into the possibility...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

A bit off track here but i bought, loaned out and never recieved this book back. In a house full of junk/books/more books a digital format would really open things up for me. But what system would you recommend? Or all the formats much of a muchness. Please move this post to AOB as you see fit. Cheers.

12 minutes ago, corvusxiii said:

A bit off track here but i bought, loaned out and never recieved this book back. In a house full of junk/books/more books a digital format would really open things up for me. But what system would you recommend? Or all the formats much of a muchness. Please move this post to AOB as you see fit. Cheers.

And if the person who nicked Corvus' copy posts on here, give it back you tight so-and-so.

I don't know the answer but my better half is very happy with her Kindle for stuff.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, corvusxiii said:

Get a Kindle, cos then you can get The Forbidden Game on it!

Btw, Amazon have not paid me for this endorsement. I own a Kindle Paperwhite and it is genuinely top notch IMO.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, corvusxiii said:

If you don't want to invest in a Kindle (mind you, they are rather good), you can download and run Amazon's Kindle software on almost anything these days, and it is entirely free.

I'd actually recommend this as a first step to anyone who hasn't experienced ebooks before, because you can decide if you enjoy the experience or not. I used the software on my laptop for a few months before actually buying my Kindle.

I have a Kindle Fire, because it also runs useful apps that my old phone won't, but if you already have a smartphone, definitely take a look at the Kindle-only devices like the Paperwhite. Compared to the Fire, they are lighter, have far better battery life and the matt screen means you can read in more varied light conditions.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, corvusxiii said:

The Forum says Kindle. It shall be so. Cheers.

Yeah Kindles are great and so is the Forbidden Game  ...... I'm glad to see there's renewed interest. But if it starts any threads on here look for them on't dark side of the forum.

30 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

If you don't want to invest in a Kindle (mind you, they are rather good), you can download and run Amazon's Kindle software on almost anything these days, and it is entirely free.

I'd actually recommend this as a first step to anyone who hasn't experienced ebooks before, because you can decide if you enjoy the experience or not. I used the software on my laptop for a few months before actually buying my Kindle.

I have a Kindle Fire, because it also runs useful apps that my old phone won't, but if you already have a smartphone, definitely take a look at the Kindle-only devices like the Paperwhite. Compared to the Fire, they are lighter, have far better battery life and the matt screen means you can read in more varied light conditions.

Can you download the Kindle software to an iPad?

I bought this book a couple of years ago. I like my Rugby League history and I have to say it is one of the best books I've ever read. It is a book that everyone should read. 

Edited by Rage

Just now, Rage said:

I bought this book a couple of years ago. I like my Rugby League history and I have to say it is one of the best books I've ever read. 

Have you got 'Champagne Rugby' by Henri Garcia & Roger Grime? It covers the birth of French RL, the ban, but mainly the glory years of the post-war tours Down Under, and it is a wonderful read.

Available on Kindle.

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Have you got 'Champagne Rugby' by Henri Garcia & Roger Grime? It covers the birth of French RL, the ban, but mainly the glory years of the post-war tours Down Under, and it is a wonderful read.

Available on Kindle.

No I've not read that. It will be the next book to read on my list. I've just started reading Adrian Morley's biography. 

2 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

Tried to buy on kindle t'other day but only available to uk folk. 

Oh yes, Amazon's regional demarcations. Very inconvenient, for such a far-reaching company. I remember having to open an Amazon USA account a few years ago, just because the UK site didn't list a couple of things I really wanted.

10 minutes ago, Rage said:

No I've not read that. It will be the next book to read on my list. I've just started reading Adrian Morley's biography. 

Okay, I'd also add the following to the suggestion list, if you haven't got them already:

• No Helmets required by Gavin Willacy. The US All Stars tours of Australia, New Zealand and France.
  • Daydream Believer by Stanley Gene. Bonkers.
  • The Indomitables by Colin Thomson. The first post-WW2 tour Down Under.
  • Tries and Conversions by Peter Lush & Hendrik Snyders. Detailed account of the careers of South African converts to Rugby League.
  • Uncommon Heroes by John Ellicott. Local heroes who made it big and tales from hard-fought regional cups in the Australian game. Possibly the best-known player in the book to British readers is Noel Cleal. And there's a chapter on Balmain's shadow-boxing superfan Laurie Nichols.
Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Okay, I'd also add the following to the suggestion list, if you haven't got them already:

• No Helmets required by Gavin Willacy. The US All Stars tours of Australia, New Zealand and France.
  • Daydream Believer by Stanley Gene. Bonkers.
  • The Indomitables by Colin Thomson. The first post-WW2 tour Down Under.
  • Tries and Conversions by Peter Lush & Hendrik Snyders. Detailed account of the careers of South African converts to Rugby League.
  • Uncommon Heroes by John Ellicott. Local heroes who made it big and tales from hard-fought regional cups in the Australian game. Possibly the best-known player in the book to British readers is Noel Cleal. And there's a chapter on Balmain's shadow-boxing superfan Laurie Nichols.

I've read the 1st book on the list (No Helmets required) but not the others. That should keep me going for a while. Thank you. 👍 

By the way the Gavin Willacy book I really enjoyed that as well. Another good book to recommend.

Edited by Rage

6 minutes ago, Rage said:

I've read the 1st book on the list (No Helmets required) but not the others. That should keep me going for a while. Thank you. 👍 

By the way the Gavin Willacy book I really enjoyed that as well. Another good book to recommend.

The South African book's first few chapters are fairly heavy-going, as they set the scene and detail the labyrinthine complexities of the various RU competitions in SA, Rhodesia and Namibia. But you can skip that if you like, and the rest of the chapters cover a huge number of players, most of whom came North to England, rather than to Australia.

Another good book from a historical point of view is 100 Days That Shook Rugby League by Richard de la Riviere.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rage said:

Another good book from a historical point of view is 100 Days That Shook Rugby League by Richard de la Riviere.

After Saturday he could add another chapter to any reprint and call it 101 Days That Shook Rugby League.

BTW I would recommend both books to anyone looking for a good Rugby League read

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

Tried to buy on kindle t'other day but only available to uk folk. 

Good, we don't want any foreener types in t'rugby league..... 

• Haha 3

It's an excellent book, if your reprinting it is it possible to add the story of challenge Cup Win as an appendix? Sort of closes the circle nicely.