Sign in to follow this  
John Drake

The Forbidden Game by Mike Rylance

1 hour ago, corvusxiii said:

I want/need a Kindle. NOW. THIS INSTANT. 

Oh dear, the impetuous nature of youth in the 21st century (an old fogey writes)

In my humble opinion, Mike Rylance's book, The Forbidden Game, is the best book I have ever read on any sport, bar none.  Prof. Tony Collins' ones are always great reads too.

• Like 1

Just been thinking about this but our sport (RL) has such an interesting and vibrant history. The amount of books already written and could be in the future about our game. I'm quite excited just thinking about it.

Edited by Rage

21 minutes ago, Rage said:

Just been thinking about this but our sport (RL) has such an interesting and vibrant history. The amount of books already written and could be in the future about our game. I'm quite excited just thinking about it.

There's quite a lot already, but some are pretty thin reading. What really makes a sports book is when it has life and vibrancy and brings something new to the table. 'No Helmets required' is not just the tale of an extraordinary event, but it is told well, and accompanied with a wealth of visual nostalgia that makes it very different to most.

In comparison, I have a biography of Billy Boston that's great on stats and dates, but does not stir the blood one iota.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 1

I have a question:

I have been looking for this book in french for many years now. we have one in the family but i want one for myself...

Could someone ask for/know the minimum to order for a reprint (English or french)? We can create a page on a crowdfunding site and get the preorder Money, it all depend on the minimum number of book to "pre order"... I am sure that a LOT of people in France would like to buy it (for themselves or to offer it).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fabou said:

I have a question:

I have been looking for this book in french for many years now. we have one in the family but i want one for myself...

Could someone ask for/know the minimum to order for a reprint (English or french)? We can create a page on a crowdfunding site and get the preorder Money, it all depend on the minimum number of book to "pre order"... I am sure that a LOT of people in France would like to buy it (for themselves or to offer it).

If this eventuates I will personally pay for M. Macron's copy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, John Drake said:

Currently looking into the possibility...

With used paperback copies changing hands on ebay for £50 a reprint is long overdue.

Thanks for looking into it John

23 hours ago, John Drake said:

Currently looking into the possibility...

We can create a page to preorder, I want the french edition and I am sure that a lot of french would be delight to preorder it... do you know what could be the minimum number of books for a reprint?

1 hour ago, Yosser said:

With used paperback copies changing hands on ebay for £50 a reprint is long overdue.

Thanks for looking into it John

What's an original issue hardback worth?

6 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

They're less desirable, heavier. Harder to pick up.

I'd be doing you a favour at ooh I don't know, £5? Just to take it off your hands really. 

• Haha 3

Just now, Shadow said:

They're less desirable, heavier. Harder to pick up.

I'd be doing you a favour at ooh I don't know, £5? Just to take it off your hands really. 

In your dreams. :yes:

There is a book coming out soon by a French RL fanatic about the Vichy ban and it is being published in English.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Here's some bad news for those folk flogging copies for £50 on ebay, but good news for everyone else!

I am delighted to confirm that due to public demand (give yourselves a round of applause) we have now ordered a reprint of the most recent paperback edition of the English version of The Forbidden Game, which is now available to advance order from the TotalRL.com Shop, price £14.99.

We expect to be able to despatch orders in mid-September.

We've also fixed the colours on the cover!

We don't hold the rights to reprint the French edition, so we can't do anything about that one, I'm afraid.

forbidden_game2018-sidebar-1.png

• Like 12
  • Thanks 6

On 8/29/2018 at 2:56 PM, corvusxiii said:

The Forum says Kindle. It shall be so. Cheers.

Yes it is good. Fire is good (v cheap) but heavy on battery if you use Wi-Fi. So not ideal for reguular browsing, so turn it on and off.  I guess the clasic dedicated kindle is best for reading though.  Kindle is clever because it seems to know when you put it on a fresh platform. It's good on a smartphone.

I will down load the book now it's been mentioned.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Yes it is good. Fire is good (v cheap) but heavy on battery if you use Wi-Fi. So not ideal for reguular browsing, so turn it on and off.  I guess the clasic dedicated kindle is best for reading though.  Kindle is clever because it seems to know when you put it on a fresh platform. It's good on a smartphone.

I will down load the book now it's been mentioned.

I had a Kindle Fire which just went blank after a couple of years. I tried googling a fix but nothing worked. It went to the tip.

On 8/30/2018 at 5:25 PM, John Drake said:

Here's some bad news for those folk flogging copies for £50 on ebay, but good news for everyone else!

I am delighted to confirm that due to public demand (give yourselves a round of applause) we have now ordered a reprint of the most recent paperback edition of the English version of The Forbidden Game, which is now available to advance order from the TotalRL.com Shop, price £14.99.

We expect to be able to despatch orders in mid-September.

Great news, will place my order today! 

I'm getting my copy on Ebay before word spreads, then I'll buy a new copy, profit £35.01. 😄

On 8/29/2018 at 8:04 PM, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

In my humble opinion, Mike Rylance's book, The Forbidden Game, is the best book I have ever read on any sport, bar none.  Prof. Tony Collins' ones are always great reads too.

4 Essential historical RL books:

The Forbidden Game

Rugby’s Great Spilt

The Rugby Rebellion: The Divide of League and Union in Australia

From All Blacks to All Golds

• Like 2

On 8/30/2018 at 1:10 PM, deluded pom? said:

Also interested to know. I have a copy of the hardback plus the paperback

14 minutes ago, Lobbygobbler said:

Also interested to know. I have a copy of the hardback plus the paperback

Is yours the first print hardback?

The Forbidden Game is superb.  And just to give a bit of further evidence as to how good it is- Mike Rylance was interviewed about French rugby league by one of the major French papers (Le Monde I think) after Catalans won the cup.  Which says something, I think.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, PrimroseAndBlue said:

The Forbidden Game is superb.  And just to give a bit of further evidence as to how good it is- Mike Rylance was interviewed about French rugby league by one of the major French papers (Le Monde I think) after Catalans won the cup.  Which says something, I think.

https://lemonde.fr/rugby/article/2018/08/27/dragons-catalans-la-plus-grande-reussite-d-un-club-francais-de-rugby-a-xiii_5346759_1616937.html?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

Is yours the first print hardback?

Mine is.1999.  Cover price £16.99