Sign in to follow this  
John Drake

The Forbidden Game by Mike Rylance

If you want to know if you have a first edition, look on the copyright page for a line of numbers, say, 123456789 or 987654321 or something like that. If there is a 1 in that line then it is usually a first edition. Also see if the date of copyright is the same as the date of publication. If it is copyrighted 1999 and published 1999 then it is probably first edition. If you have a book that says something like copyright 1999 but published 2004 or something then it probably isn't first edition. 

• Thanks 1

£16.99? Publication year is same as copyright year. Always open to huge offers before i take it to The Antiques Roadshow. 😀😀😀😀😀😀

• Haha 1

Rumbled! I've been looking for an old TV sketch where they auction lot 1, the world's only Blue thingy stamp for millions, then move on to lot 2 which is exactly the same thing! 😀😀

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, JohnM said:

Mine is.1999.  Cover price £16.99

So is mine, and I am pretty sure it is the first edition.  For one thing there is none of that 'reprinted in xxxx' stuff you tend to see in later editions.

I am pleased to see that it was printed in Wiltshire!

21 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

I am pleased to see that it was printed in Wiltshire!

Is it a chalk on slates or the chiseled in stone edition.

Edited by Padge
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Padge said:

Is it a chalk on a slates or the chiseled in stone edition.

It wasn’t published in Wigan.

23 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

I had a Kindle Fire which just went blank after a couple of years. I tried googling a fix but nothing worked. It went to the tip.

I had one of the original kindles that stopped, can't  recall why. They just sent me another. 

The easiest thing is the App on phone or laptop or another tablet.

4 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

I had one of the original kindles that stopped, can't  recall why. They just sent me another. 

The easiest thing is the App on phone or laptop or another tablet.

When I did some research it appeared to be a common problem. Mine was out of warranty so I didn’t even bother to contact Amazon.

On 8/29/2018 at 4:02 PM, Futtocks said:

Have you got 'Champagne Rugby' by Henri Garcia & Roger Grime? It covers the birth of French RL, the ban, but mainly the glory years of the post-war tours Down Under, and it is a wonderful read.

Available on Kindle.

Got 'Champagne Rugby' on Kindle a couple of days ago. Stopped reading my other book. Really enjoying it. Thanks Futtocks. 👍

15 minutes ago, Rage said:

Got 'Champagne Rugby' on Kindle a couple of days ago. Stopped reading my other book. Really enjoying it. Thanks Futtocks. 👍

The last couple of paragraphs (before the stats and other appendices) may put a little dust in your eye. I love this book so much.

21 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

The last couple of paragraphs (before the stats and other appendices) may put a little dust in your eye. I love this book so much.

The thing that intrigued me most in reading Champagne Rugby was the small size of the French teams.  In the great touring party (to Australia) of 1951, of the 27 players in the squad, no fewer than 22 were under 6 foot tall!

36 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

The thing that intrigued me most in reading Champagne Rugby was the small size of the French teams.  In the great touring party (to Australia) of 1951, of the 27 players in the squad, no fewer than 22 were under 6 foot tall!

Players are getting bigger - I remember an article where they showed that Andrew Johns, a half back, was bigger than any prop forward in the Kangaroos team of 30-odd years ago. And when you think about gigantic wingers like Vainikolo or Vatuvai, or that the humungous Karl Pryce once played at at half back for Bradford, the game's really changed in some ways.

With some exceptions (like the vast Brendan Hill), players are bigger and more powerful these days. Then again, Vince Karalius wasn't a big man, but he had a huge heart and an even bigger lust for mayhem. That was what made him scary, rather than a towering physique.

But, as players like the Rabbitohs' Damien Cook have shown in the modern game, if you're good enough, you're still big enough.

1 minute ago, Futtocks said:

Players are getting bigger - I remember an article where they showed that Andrew Johns, a half back, was bigger than any prop forward in the Kangaroos team of 30-odd years ago. And when you think about gigantic wingers like Vainikolo or Vatuvai, or that the humungous Karl Pryce once played at at half back for Bradford, the game's really changed in some ways.

With some exceptions (like the vast Brendan Hill), players are bigger and more powerful these days. Then again, Vince Karalius wasn't a big man, but he had a huge heart and an even bigger lust for mayhem. That was what made him scary, rather than a towering physique.

But, as players like the Rabbitohs' Damien Cook have shown in the modern game, if you're good enough, you're still big enough.

Good points, Futtocks, especially your last re Damien Cook (who, I confess, I don't know as I don't really follow the NRL)

Time is always likely to blur the memory, but I don't recall the half-back pair for Wigan, when I first started watching them in the '60s, being very large; they were Cliff Hill and Frankie Parr.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Good points, Futtocks, especially your last re Damien Cook (who, I confess, I don't know as I don't really follow the NRL)

Time is always likely to blur the memory, but I don't recall the half-back pair for Wigan, when I first started watching them in the '60s, being very large; they were Cliff Hill and Frankie Parr.

Damien's a real prospect, despite his size. Look for his name in the next few years. And, as for his size...

cook-vs-nelson-180803_gt_44.jpg?center=0

• Like 2

My copy was

On 9/2/2018 at 6:30 AM, The Hallucinating Goose said:

If you want to know if you have a first edition, look on the copyright page for a line of numbers, say, 123456789 or 987654321 or something like that. If there is a 1 in that line then it is usually a first edition. Also see if the date of copyright is the same as the date of publication. If it is copyrighted 1999 and published 1999 then it is probably first edition. If you have a book that says something like copyright 1999 but published 2004 or something then it probably isn't first edition. 

Mine doesn't have a long number, just an ISBN. I also have a Kindle Fire, very useful item. Whenever I go on holiday I always make sure I have a couple of unread books loaded. Much better than overloading you baggage allowance with books that you will (probably) leave in the hotel.

16 hours ago, Futtocks said:

With some exceptions (like the vast Brendan Hill), players are bigger and more powerful these days. Then again, Vince Karalius wasn't a big man, but he had a huge heart and an even bigger lust for mayhem. That was what made him scary, rather than a towering physique...

I remember one boxing day prob in the 70's and going through the turnstiles and walking up past the Saints stand with by older brother, who pointed out a door and saying that, 'this was where they used to keep Vince Karalius chained up in between games and fed on raw meat'.

On 9/2/2018 at 6:30 AM, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Mine's a first edition. Signed by the author (in his living room!), too. Probably time I read it again.

On 9/3/2018 at 2:30 AM, Futtocks said:

Players are getting bigger but..

Johns was 5ft 10 inches and 14 st

Damien Cook is 1cm shorter and 3 Kg lighter than Joey Johns.

1986 Kangaroos squad

Martin Bella, Greg Dowling, Phil Daley, Les Davidson, Paul Dunn and Steve Roach were all a lot bigger than Johns.

The 1970's Kangaroos Props were bigger than Johns.

Bob O'Reilly and  John O'Neill

As were back rowers Bob McCarthy,  Ron Coote and Ron Costello.

On 8/29/2018 at 4:18 PM, Futtocks said:

Okay, I'd also add the following to the suggestion list, if you haven't got them already:

• No Helmets required by Gavin Willacy. 

Is there a good general history of English RL available?

I just read an interesting thread about 1960's play offs which predates me. 

I was just about to say that the colours of the French flag were in the wrong order in the word "Forbidden", but then I saw the later picture and they were correct that time. I thought initially it was maybe a sign of the distress caused, a bit like when you fly the union jack upside down.

6 hours ago, Charlie RL said:

Is there a good general history of English RL available?

I just read an interesting thread about 1960's play offs which predates me. 

Rugby league in Twentieth Century Britain  is a typically thoroughly researched book by Tony Collins.  However, its subtitle, which is A Social and Cultural History, correctly indicates that the emphasis is not on who were the great teams and players of each decade, and how competitions were structured.  There are some chapters about particular eras (ie 1945 to 1970 and 1975 to 1995), but others are on topics such as class, gender and race in RL, and RU's war with RL. There are some interesting statistical appendices, including on occupations of RL players, origins of amateur RL clubs by organisation type (eg works teams, church teams) and reasons for players being dismissed from the filed of play.

A very interesting read indeed, in its own right, but possibly not exactly what you are looking for. 

• Thanks 1

I think Mike should write a new chapter, given the rise of XIII Catalans & Tolouse & maybe the influence of the French in the Canadian game. This weekends Toronto v Tolouse game should be celebrated, we should be joyous in our expansionism, the RFL should be at its height in the self publishing department. What will we get? A few words in M62 local papers, after the event. We should be shouting this game NATIONALLY.  Get the game on TV, not just Freeport,.

• Like 1